Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 09:30 PM

61 posts, read 112,115 times

Advertisements

Two questions about this topic that is bouncing around my head :-

a) What are the signs of a possessive BF/GF?
b) If a BF/GF is possessive, will he/she become less so after marriage?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:35 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
If you think before marriage they are possessive, just wait until you get married!

Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 7,332 times
I was in an extremely controlling relationship when I was a teenager for four years. (don't ask why I stayed because I still don't know). I don't know how long you have been with this person but for me it progressed slowly over time. It started out with less time with friends until he eventually he wanted me to cut them out completely. He was jealous of any male friends I had and was always sure there was something going on between us. He tried to tell me who I could and couldn't talk to. What activities I should take part in. Constantly looking through my phone. I was always accused of lying about the smalles things....the list could go on and on about all the aspects of my life he wanted to control. But it eventually led to violence. Don't know if that helps at all but that was my experience.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:26 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pade View Post

Needs to with you all the time or know where you are 24/7.
Extreme jealousy of other people who takle your time.
Insecurity.

Only if you address and resolve insecurity issues.
Good Luck.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
Ew, possessiveness is gross and a huge red flag.

Hubby and I are not the least bit possessive and very happy. If he did not want this life and to be married to me - he would not have asked.

We have spent parties and dinners with other couples and realized after getting into the car that we said 5 words to each other the whole night. - I was talking to the girls and he to the guys.

We are not possessive, but love and respect one anothers' creativity and friendships.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:06 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,571,509 times
Since when marriage ever "changed" a person?

Old 01-11-2009, 12:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pade View Post

Signs are when you cannot talk with any member of the opposite sex that isn't a close relative without suspicions and questions and accusations. A coworker calls to ask a question about a work matter and a possessive partner will become jealous, if you run into buddies of the opposite sex, share a joke, talk about anything, a nomal BF/GF doesn't blink an eye, a possessive one will be set off. Monopolization of your time is a sign.

No, normally after marriage it becomes worse because possessive people see marriage as a kind of ownership of another person.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:40 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
I think in just asking the questions you already know the answers. Learn to trust your instincts--or, if you're the possessor, learn self control.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:30 AM

61 posts, read 112,115 times
He used to check my phone messages, then get all upset when he sees messages from my guy friends (messages like "Miss you" or "hugs".. friends send messages like these too, at least i send messages like these to my friends - guys & gals) I blew up at him over this... he is a bit better over this matter - Now he looks at my phone longingly, then give me goo goo eyes, and asks permission if he can read a certain sms that caught his eye.

Then there was also a time where he used to call anybody and everybody when he could not get through to me. Sometimes, I am out with the girls and was too engrossed in chatting to notice my phone.. Well, I blew up at him over this too because he actually called my mum in the middle of the night and made my family worry. So far he has refrained from calling my family or my friends anymore.

Recently we had another episode. He would call me online with skype, leave the connection running and do his own things. Then the moment he hears the sound that skype makes when someone messages you on my computer, he would ask me if I was chatting to somebody else besides him. Now, sometimes, when I open zip files, a similar sound is made... and he does not believe me when I tell him during those moments that, I am really not talking to anybody. He says I am acting strange, hiding something.... huuhh??

Based on such incidents.. I believe I am right to say that he is going overboard with his possessiveness.. and I am not the unreasonable party. But sometimes when we argue, he says I am the strange one and other girls do not act like me. Example : He says it is not normal that I do not act jealous, check his phone or mind that he goes out with the boys. Is he right.. am I the wierdo in this relationship??

So, we go through this episodes over and over... him going into possessive mode, and me blowing up, then trying to make him understand that he is being unreasonable. Each episode after a lot of drama, he will say that he understands and he will change. Will we get thru this eventually? I do see that he is trying and throughout the years, there have been changes for the better - I mean, I used to get like 100 miss calls on my phone... but now it is not happening anymore. However, isit because he truly understands, or could it be just him holding it in, and one day, he might explode and all these things will re-emerge again? Can possessiveness really be lessened or eventually cured? After marriage, will it give him security and he would not be so worried of losing me? We both want to make our relationship work out (he is a great guy, almost can be considered dream guy by many, only major problem is his possessiveness)

Old 01-11-2009, 08:12 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Do not marry someone who is possessive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships