Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 12:24 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,603,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Something tells me that poster would only become a single mom on purpose because that's what she wants.
If only more women would do more to protect themselves from pregnancy if they know good and well they can't afford a child without a man's help.
All the contraception that is out there and yet the teen pregnancy rate is going up?
Condoms + birth control
Condoms + Birth control + Plan B
Condoms + Birth control + RU486
Abortion....

Of course if men don't want kids, a vasectomy would help SO much more. If I were a guy, I'd keep condoms with me at all times because there is no way in hell I'd get locked into paying child support for a child I don't want.

As far as babies being born outside of marriage, who cares?
There are plenty of single mom's out there doing a damn good job with their kids without the help of a man or another woman.
And why is that? Because teens take more risks when they know there's a way out. Only many find they can't bring themselves to actually do it when it's time to go through with an abortion. Thinking you could have an abortion IF you got pregnant is very different from actually having one. An unfortunate side effect of legalized abortion is more unwanted pregnancies as women take more risks because there are ways out. I'm sure Plan B has resulted in an increase in teen pregnancies too. Now there's no reason not to have unprotected sex because you can just go get plan B. So why resist temptation when it strikes. Only, some girls don't make it to the doctor in time to use plan B so they become statistics.

That one scares me. I can see my older daughter thinking she'll just get plan B in the morning only no reputable doctor who knows her medical history will prescribe it to her given that three months on the pill nearly killed me. My OB/GYN says my daughters cannot risk using hormonal BC. Only every doctor out there doesn't know their history. They don't know that their mom almost died of a stroke as a direct result of being on the pill for 3 months at the ripe old age of 19 or that that my mom did die of a stroke at 44. The hormone levels are high enough in plan B to put them at high risk. My fear is they'll think I'm just making that up because I don't want them to take risks. Any doctor they went to who didn't know their history would prescribe it. This is why you need parental consent for BC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren123 View Post
The understanding in pre-marital sex is that both parties are satisfying their physical needs without any commitment. If you want commitment, you should make love only after marriage. If you want to give free samples, you shouldn't exact the price.
Sorry, that don't float. It is common knowledge that sex can lead to pregnancy. If you don't want committment, you shouldn't be having sex at all. That you desire sex without commitment is fine but you don't always get what you want here and you'd better be prepared to live up to your responsiblities if the worst happens. BC can fail.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:55 PM

67 posts, read 182,019 times
By the same token, women should not have sex before marriage either if she wants to have her kids grow up in a stable environment with a father and a mother taking full responsibility. Actually, I think that men will be begging on their knees for women to marry them if pre-marital sex is not so prevalent in our society. Who wants to buy a cow if you get free milk?

Old 01-17-2009, 01:14 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,575,734 times
Quote:
By the same token, women should not have sex before marriage either if she wants to have her kids grow up in a stable environment with a father and a mother taking full responsibility. Actually, I think that men will be begging on their knees for women to marry them if pre-marital sex is not so prevalent in our society. Who wants to buy a cow if you get free milk?
And actually, I think that is just as bad. Getting married just because you want to have sex. That is very common with some religions and they end up marrying young and it rarely works out with both people happy and well adjusted. They might stick it out but they often stick it out miserably.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,876,991 times
Quote:
When a woman and a man have sex, it is not always with the intention of making babies. If it is, yes, both parties should bear equal responsibility. There should be no children born out of wedlock. Society values have gone down to an extent that having kids out of the marriage is no longer considered to be a shame anymore.
Can't believe I have to explain this, but I will... when two people have sex the possibility for pregnancy ALWAYS exists - there is no way to avoid that! Therefore EVERY TIME YOU HAVE SEX YOU COULD POTENTIALLY BE CREATING A NEW HUMAN LIFE - if you can't handle taking 50% responsibility for that life you are worse than pond scum. Whether the intention was to make a baby or not, IF you make one, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
And actually, I think that is just as bad. Getting married just because you want to have sex. That is very common with some religions and they end up marrying young and it rarely works out with both people happy and well adjusted. They might stick it out but they often stick it out miserably.
Then how about waiting to have sex AND waiting for someone you really want to marry. Not having sex won't kill anyone. Why do people act like they have to have it?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:19 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,626,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Can't believe I have to explain this, but I will... when two people have sex the possibility for pregnancy ALWAYS exists - there is no way to avoid that! Therefore EVERY TIME YOU HAVE SEX YOU COULD POTENTIALLY BE CREATING A NEW HUMAN LIFE - if you can't handle taking 50% responsibility for that life you are worse than pond scum. Whether the intention was to make a baby or not, IF you make one, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE.
I'm sorry, I think you need to explain 564,972 more times, doesn't seem to be sinking in to a lot of people.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:23 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,626,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
The point of this statement is?
I think you know the answer to that already, along with a majority of the posters

Old 01-17-2009, 02:25 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,283,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
I'm sorry, I think you need to explain 564,972 more times, doesn't seem to be sinking in to a lot of people.
Huh??? What are you talking about??? I don't get it!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:38 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,477,610 times
Quote:
The understanding in pre-marital sex is that both parties are satisfying their physical needs without any commitment. If you want commitment, you should make love only after marriage. If you want to give free samples, you shouldn't exact the price.
I vehemently disagree that it's "100% the woman's responsibility" if she becomes pregnant or not (with very few exceptions, say, invitro w/no father around). It doesn't matter if she is married, had a one night stand, committed/quasi committed relationship, or whether either party is just fulfilling a "need." A man has NO RIGHT to run like a coward away from an innocent child who had no say so in being born. It's the child these "men" run from, not just the woman. How many children's lives are ruined/damaged because some bozo is too cheap and too selfish to accept the fact that his sperm got a woman pregnant (did they not know where babies come from?). A man is 100% responsible for his sperm... no one else.... and therefore, 50% responsible for the financial cost of what that sperm created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships