U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 03:25 PM

17,700 posts, read 16,057,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Since you are within the same organization - is it possible you can go back to your old job? Something like this happened to me many years ago. I transferred to another department - it was a raise - more reponsibility , etc. Then, within a couple of days, I realized I had made a glaring mistake. Everything about the people and that department was toxic. Fortunately, I was able to return to my old position.
That's a good point, but no, I would not go back to my old job, I like this level of work. I don't think it was a mistake to take the job, I just don't feel like I'll stay there long. It's a HUGE company and they love to promote and transfer from within, and they have no qualms about people moving around between departments.

It's just weird that it happened so quickly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Right now in this economy just having a job is the key. I can't tell you how many of my friends are losing their job or likely to lose it. And those of us that are independent contractors are screwed right now.

Unless you have something else lined up, I wouldn't bail unless you can afford it.
This post makes a good point. I am happy being employed and happy being promoted, and will not leave this job until I have an offer in hand, that's the nice thing about staying within the same organization.

What's weird is that I'm ready to get out of there so fast, I usually don't get restless until I've learned what a new job has to offer me, increased and expanded my skill set, gained valuable experience, and then I'm ready for new challenges.

Maybe it's because part of the challenge was just to get to this level. A buddy of mine was talking about a job she took she was not happy with and ended up leaving, someone said why did you take it to begin with, she said because she was so thrilled with being offered it. I sort of feel that way...lots of visibility and prestige...but that's not enough reason in and of itself to put down roots.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:37 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,554,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
This post makes a good point. I am happy being employed and happy being promoted, and will not leave this job until I have an offer in hand, that's the nice thing about staying within the same organization.

What's weird is that I'm ready to get out of there so fast, I usually don't get restless until I've learned what a new job has to offer me, increased and expanded my skill set, gained valuable experience, and then I'm ready for new challenges.

Maybe it's because part of the challenge was just to get to this level. A buddy of mine was talking about a job she took she was not happy with and ended up leaving, someone said why did you take it to begin with, she said because she was so thrilled with being offered it. I sort of feel that way...lots of visibility and prestige...but that's not enough reason in and of itself to put down roots.
I agree with the other's suggestion of staying put UNTIL you see another/ better opportunity. Now, in the meantime, while you are staying put, why don't you take some "career advancing" classes, so that you can put your mind occupied on something else other than the idea that this promo is not what you signed up for?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:37 PM

The other weird thing was, they offered me the job without even interviewing me, which I have never had happen. And it was a "newly created position" which means it did not exist before, new team, so there's not a set plan to walk into. It just feels strange.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:41 PM

355 posts, read 777,846 times
If it is a newly created position with no set plan, why don't you mold it into the perfect job? That's what I'd do ...

Start getting creative, dude

Old 01-15-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms0511 View Post
I agree with the other's suggestion of staying put UNTIL you see another/ better opportunity. Now, in the meantime, while you are staying put, why don't you take some "career advancing" classes, so that you can put your mind occupied on something else other than the idea that this promo is not what you signed up for?
my time is always well spent when it is focused on the next job that advances my career. That's how I keep advancing!

Maybe that's part of what I am learning, or an old habit/pattern I am breaking. Nowhere is it written that I must stay in a job a year before advancing on to something else bigger and better and bolder and grander. That's just an old belief I've been carrying around, maybe it's time for me to discard.

Because if I can move into a job that is bigger better bolder, then there is no reason NOT to do just that!

So maybe it's about expanding my beliefs into allowing more good into my life.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
If it is a newly created position with no set plan, why don't you mold it into the perfect job? That's what I'd do ...

Start getting creative, dude
Degenerate here (LOL) makes a great point. A colleague of mine said the same thing, that one advantage of taking a "new" position is you can really turn it into something great, and in the process you can shine and really strut your stuff to best advantage. That's one of the reasons I accepted this offer (over another offer that came in the same day).

I just keep seeing this job as the ticket to something next, rather than a place to hang out for very long. I love working and I love what I do, and it really is a pleasure to do my job. I just keep getting the sense I won't be there for long, that something else is coming down the turnpike. It's weird.

Thanks everyone for the excellent feedback and responses. Much appreciated.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:56 PM

28,900 posts, read 50,416,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
my time is always well spent when it is focused on the next job that advances my career. That's how I keep advancing!

Maybe that's part of what I am learning, or an old habit/pattern I am breaking. Nowhere is it written that I must stay in a job a year before advancing on to something else bigger and better and bolder and grander. That's just an old belief I've been carrying around, maybe it's time for me to discard.

Because if I can move into a job that is bigger better bolder, then there is no reason NOT to do just that!

So maybe it's about expanding my beliefs into allowing more good into my life.
True, but only if it's not within the same company. If, on the other hand, you want to stay within your company retaining all the benefits, vesting, and the whatnot, and continue to rise up through the ranks, going back out and looking for another slot in the company after two weeks will cause problems for you. That's just the reality of things.

Quite often, companies will put a given employee in positions such as the one that you have recently landed to see how that employee does. Thrive in the slot, and you get tagged as somebody who can do well anywhere in the company. Bail after a few weeks for vague and insubstantial reasons, and you'll get branded as something completely different. I mentored one person who was in an almost identical position. She got a different position in the company that she didn't enjoy, so she asked out of the assignment. Unfortunately, they shipped her into corporate exile doing incredibly stupid things, and then booted her out the door six months later when it became nut-cutting time.

So if you're interested in advancing, running back to HR and saying, "Gosh, I just don't care for this position," ain't gonna fly.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:22 PM

15,820 posts, read 50,885,798 times
Do you have a written position description for this new job? As a first step, print that out or just put it on screen, go over it. Why did you *think* you would like this position?

It might be worthwhile to write out, to yourself only, what exactly is bothering you about this position. Sometimes the mental processes of putting it on paper in words will make a solution apparent.

Second thought. If you are uncomfortable, maybe schedule a time to talk with your boss about what you are supposed to be doing in this job, and since it's a new position, you want to talk about his/her impression so far, any mentoring that could be offered. You need to spin this as you being proactive, not you being paranoid.

Just as an example, right now I'm working on a new process for a client, or maybe a better way to put it is our team is working together with a client and their client to invent a new approach to solving a familiar problem in our industry. This has never been done before. So there is a lot of loosy-goosy "feel" to it, unlike some other work I have been involved with for this client, where we were working through well-established procedures. I really like the "blue sky" work better, because it really engages the old grey matter, not just in paying attention to details but in manipulating concepts. But the "blue sky" work requires what we call around here "a greater tolerance for ambiguity".

I'm thinking your new position is more "blue sky" and so I would say it's perfectly normal to feel less in-control than in something more cut and dried. And some people prefer the "in-control" feeling to the point that they don't want to do any "blue sky" stuff, and, that's OK too.

Final thought - be careful what you ask for, sometimes you get it. There are opportunities around me all the time, that *I* personally wouldn't touch with another guy's bargepole. These are not bad opportunities, they are just a bad fit *for me*.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:56 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,886,936 times
Years ago I had started a job, started having the same feelings you did and actually felt as though I had bitten off more than I could chew. At that point I wanted out. I decided to stick it out because it beat the alternative of job hunting again and being between paychecks and ended up staying for four years. Sometimes you just have to give things a chance and see where they go. In these tough economic times I cound myself lucky to have a job and would imagine most people would. I say stick it out at least 3 months, if by then you don't feel a "connection" there then yes you should move on but only do so if you definitely have something lined up. When it comes to your resume there are plenty of ways you can explain away either gaps in employment or short job stints.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships