U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:21 PM

28,900 posts, read 50,401,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Isn't there a saying about pointing fingers?
Well, the irony of being sarcastic while accusing others of sarcasm seems to be lost on her.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 05:25 PM

4,034 posts, read 7,259,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Fascinating how you can take umbrage at the pettiest things. Let's see, I simply state the obvious--Namely that it is not wise to change your mind about a job a few weeks after transferring into it. In fact, in just the past few posts RobertP and Ion agreed with my advice. Somehow or another in your universe, however, I'm launching a personal attack.

It's pretty simple, you shot back a pretty sarcastic reply to what was pretty straightforward advice. Then when I called you on it and took exception to your snotty tone, somehow I'm the culprit. I guess I should count myself fortunate that you didn't alter one of my posts this time in order for you to fit your point better, since that's how you usually operate. That and your notorious tendency to threaten other posters with expulsion doesn't really speak very well to the courtesy, respect, and maturity you like to boast about in yourself.
Obviously, every company is different.

However, I used to work for one of the largest companies in the world, GE, and have worked for several other extremely large companies, multi-billion dollar organizations, including my current employer.

I have seen way less and pettier things held against people in their careers than what you are doing. Sad part is, you may never know that someone is doing it until it is too late.

Hopefully, it works out for you. I will say that, my experience with things like this, is that internal rumblings could possibly be that you can't do the job, you won't do the job, you aren't a team player, etc..... even if they tell you to your face that it is ok. I too have worked in those places that have a 90 day minimum, but that doesn't mean that is encouraged. That is usually like that for people to get promoted, not so they can move around in the company.

That is not to say that is what is going to happen, but, is another viewpoint on the matter.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:22 PM

25,388 posts, read 33,187,479 times
I did that a couple of months ago. I was very happy to get the first job but then as realization of the kind of schedule I'd have to keep with that job set in, not so happy. To have kept my kids in their school, the kids would have had to have waited after school for nearly two hours for me to get there and then we'd have 45 minute trip in rush hour home. When I told the kids they'd have to switch schools, the job really lost it's luster. Then the high school associated with the school my kids attend called with an offer. I felt like dirt for backing out of a job I agreed to take but I never would have taken it if I had known there'd be an offer that made it much easier to keep my kids in their school.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:56 PM

41 posts, read 101,504 times
I told a potential employer that there was a dream job that I applied for and I was waiting to hear back from them, this was the truth and they undertood that the other job was a better fit ,but offered me a job anyway, after four days I realized this new job was too much like my old one, so I told them the other opportunity came around,

Old 01-16-2009, 08:40 PM

5,612 posts, read 14,306,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Have you ever started a new job you were absolutely thrilled to get, and then within days or weeks gotten the urge to leave that job? What did you do? How did you decide? What were the pros and cons of staying or going? In the end for you what was the deciding factor?

I had been applying for jobs and was so excited to get this job offer that was a promotion, advancement, and increased salary. After just a couple weeks I began to get a sinking feeling that things were just not right, and that feeling has grown stronger and now I just want to get out of there and have started actively applying for other jobs and I have not been there even one month. Typically I give a job like this a year for stability on the resume before I move on.

Since this new job is with the same organization I was with before (and I absolutely love working for this company), just a different service line, it is a surprise for me to have this level of unease. And I don't want to burn any bridges for future jobs.

I am putting this question in the relationships thread because it is about maintaining happiness in my life, positive relationships with others, and making a difficult decision.

Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated.
Forgive me if this has already been said, but I didn't read through the 5 pages. I read your question to my sisiter who is a HR manager and this was her advice: check company policy. Some companies will require that you stay in the new position for a certain timeframe, you're stuck until that timeframe goes by and then you can move to a new position. Since you changed position within the same company, if you really can't stay in your new position, then you might want to consider changing companies.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:25 AM

18,434 posts, read 32,006,887 times
This happened to me but I had different circumstances. I got a new job, better pay, more benefits.

I missed the people I was working with prior, but these people were nice as well. I worked there 2 weeks and had to leave. I was not performing up to my normal ability and I felt like they could find someone better suited than me at that time.

I ended up having to quit, I hated doing it, but I had to. Normally I do very well, but I was under tremendous stress and now my health is in such decline as well....

Old 01-19-2009, 02:54 PM

17,666 posts, read 16,042,970 times
thank you everyone for your input. It is a valuable process to hear what people say and then see what fits. As soon as I made the decision to start looking around and gave myself permission to leave, I felt a huge amount of relief, and upliftment, and increased energy. In the meantime I'm showing up and doing a good job. Bottom line is I trust my gut, and in this case it's telling me to move on as soon as its feasible, which for me means another excellent job offer in hand.

thank you for the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships