Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:14 AM

21,874 posts, read 19,025,888 times

Advertisements

Have you ever started a new job you were absolutely thrilled to get, and then within days or weeks gotten the urge to leave that job? What did you do? How did you decide? What were the pros and cons of staying or going? In the end for you what was the deciding factor?

I had been applying for jobs and was so excited to get this job offer that was a promotion, advancement, and increased salary. After just a couple weeks I began to get a sinking feeling that things were just not right, and that feeling has grown stronger and now I just want to get out of there and have started actively applying for other jobs and I have not been there even one month. Typically I give a job like this a year for stability on the resume before I move on.

Since this new job is with the same organization I was with before (and I absolutely love working for this company), just a different service line, it is a surprise for me to have this level of unease. And I don't want to burn any bridges for future jobs.

I am putting this question in the relationships thread because it is about maintaining happiness in my life, positive relationships with others, and making a difficult decision.

Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,261,656 times
The people I work with, the "that's not my job" attitude, no teamwork whatsoever are but just a few.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:19 AM

968 posts, read 2,580,436 times
I hated my current job when I first started and wanted to walk out.

6 years later I think its the best company I've ever worked for. 12k bonuses, 4 weeks vacation, constantly challenging and always learning.
I couldn't imagine working anyplace else.

Stick it out it might turn out well. Not to mention this economy is not conducive to jumping ship right now.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:20 AM

36,335 posts, read 15,937,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
The people I work with, the "that's not my job" attitude, no teamwork whatsoever are but just a few.
Mine was "all but a few", make that "all but 3" had that attitude and I stayed a year and was uncomfortable the whole time.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:32 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,584,520 times
Right now in this economy just having a job is the key. I can't tell you how many of my friends are losing their job or likely to lose it. And those of us that are independent contractors are screwed right now.

Unless you have something else lined up, I wouldn't bail unless you can afford it.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:35 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,071,008 times
I have started my day over several times in one day! So changing my mind about a new job is no big deal.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:38 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,948,549 times
Suck it up, for two important reasons.

1) If this is an internal job move, the HR department isn't going to be happy finding you a new position almost immediately after placing you in this slot.

2) In an economy where there is bottom-line pressure all around, openly being dissatisfied with any job isn't a good idea. Because when the department head has to cut expenses, the perceived troublemaker gets the axe, regardless of whether it's fair or not.

Give it one good year. Then you can move somewhere else in the company without being penalized for it, and the job market should be much improved by then.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:55 PM

51,850 posts, read 52,259,765 times
I'd probably try to hang for awhile.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:57 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,779,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Suck it up, for two important reasons.

1) If this is an internal job move, the HR department isn't going to be happy finding you a new position almost immediately after placing you in this slot.

2) In an economy where there is bottom-line pressure all around, openly being dissatisfied with any job isn't a good idea. Because when the department head has to cut expenses, the perceived troublemaker gets the axe, regardless of whether it's fair or not.

Give it one good year. Then you can move somewhere else in the company without being penalized for it, and the job market should be much improved by then.
#1 (and 2) is an excellent point since its w/in the same company. Lots of white collar jobs are being lost in this economy, so better be dicreet about looking again. New jobs are frustrating in part because you dont have your 'rhythm' yet. Give it time...but if your really upset it may be best to look outside.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:18 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,337,418 times
Since you are within the same organization - is it possible you can go back to your old job? Something like this happened to me many years ago. I transferred to another department - it was a raise - more reponsibility , etc. Then, within a couple of days, I realized I had made a glaring mistake. Everything about the people and that department was toxic. Fortunately, I was able to return to my old position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships