Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:02 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

In this economy, you'd be absolutely insane to leave a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 07:10 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
It sounds to me you're simply not comfortable with being put into a situation with so much control. And that's not a put down by any means. It is a real challenge to go into an area and reshape it into what you think it should be; it takes a TON of work and thought to put into developing processes, assigning responsibilities, and so on, especially when you are new to the position.

Seek advice from other people at your level. There is NOTHING wrong with that; in fact it is highly respected and I'm sure your peers will be glad to give you advice. Word will get around that you are a team player in your new position and looking to excel.

In a matter of weeks or months you'll probably like this position more than any other if you play your cards right.

Oh yeah, the fact that you are still in the same company has added benefits because you know corporate policy and people within the organization.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:15 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Yep. You're absolutely right.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 AM

69 posts, read 448,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yep. You're absolutely right.
I would say that if your miserable at your job its best to cut your losses and try for something else. You can develop some real health problems if you are in that state of mind all the time. I once had to quit an office job because my co-workers were some of the nastiest people you could ever think of. They gossiped all the time, talked about you behind your back, and were overly critical of you for every little thing you did wrong. I didn't have a job lined up right away, but I knew that if I stayed for much longer I would have had an anxiety attack or worse a heart attack.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:37 AM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Not if I leave it for a better job!

There is nothing insane about leaving any position and improving my circumstances and quality of life. Work is not about being miserbale and sucking it up and enduring the grind. Work is a big portion of quality of life and as such my happiness is very important.

So I am only leaving this job for something better (better by my definition which could be money, could be people, could be more windows, could be a nicer view, could be advancement track, could be any number of things that make it better by my standards)

Old 01-16-2009, 10:41 AM

968 posts, read 2,588,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_Man View Post
I would say that if your miserable at your job its best to cut your losses and try for something else. You can develop some real health problems if you are in that state of mind all the time. I once had to quit an office job because my co-workers were some of the nastiest people you could ever think of. They gossiped all the time, talked about you behind your back, and were overly critical of you for every little thing you did wrong. I didn't have a job lined up right away, but I knew that if I stayed for much longer I would have had an anxiety attack or worse a heart attack.
sounds like something that happens at EVERY job.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I have to agree with the wisdom here of Michigan Man thanks for this. I am a big believer in cut your losses and keep moving forward. Life is not about being miserable and no one gets any points for martyrdom, just a lot of health problems and gloomy outlook.

I'm not miserable there but if I don't get out I will be down the road. I've started interviewing for other jobs, had an interview this week. Only one other time have I left a job right away and it was an excellent decision and there were no negative repercussions. My skills in the field are excellent, I'm in demand, there is always work.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 AM

69 posts, read 448,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
sounds like something that happens at EVERY job.
Actually this does not happen at every job, I know this first hand. Someone once said that it is all about being "the right fit" for the job, and its true. If your not just unhappy, but miserable at your job your basically digging your own grave. Granted, its not always easy to find another job because of the economic climate but it'd be insane to keep trying to make something work thats not possible.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
If you want to stay within your company retaining all the benefits, vesting, and the whatnot, and continue to rise up through the ranks, going back out and looking for another slot in the company after two weeks will cause problems for you. That's just the reality of things.

Quite often, companies will put a given employee in positions such as the one that you have recently landed to see how that employee does. Thrive in the slot, and you get tagged as somebody who can do well anywhere in the company. Bail after a few weeks for vague and insubstantial reasons, and you'll get branded as something completely different.

So if you're interested in advancing, running back to HR and saying, "Gosh, I just don't care for this position," ain't gonna fly.
Maybe "it's the reality" in your world but it's not the reality where I work.

In the corporate culture where I work, they love to hire from within and people move freely between departments. It's actually seen as a plus the more departments you've worked in, because you have more experience, more personal contacts, know more software packages, have more technical expertise, and have more knowledge of navigating a complex system.

What they want to hear is "She's great to work with, she gets things done, she knows this organization" and boom! the offer is made. That's why they are so good about hiring and promoting and advancing within because they recognize and value skills and experience and don't mind taking people from other service lines.

And no company "puts me" anywhere. I pick and choose where I go, where I work, and what I do. And I don't go to running to HR for anything, HR calls me and says, "We have an opening, would you like to apply?"

Old 01-16-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Actually this does not happen at every job, I know this first hand. Someone once said that it is all about being "the right fit" for the job, and its true. it'd be insane to keep trying to make something work thats not possible.
Yup, I agree.
it's not just them interviewing you for a job,
you're also interviewing them whether they are a good fit for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships