Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:17 PM

267 posts, read 897,947 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is a question or just a general complaint. I started a divorce almost a year ago (techically, its been two years since I lived with my ex, but thats another story) So, in the middle of the divorce he got transferred across country, and for the sake of the kids, I moved too. I love it here, but now I'm wondering . . . what the heck convinced me that moving across country to a much smaller town would be a good idea knowing I would soon be single again. Well, soon is debatable - its been over a year and the divorce STILL isn't final.

Anyways, now I'm wondering. I came from Phx (pop ~4 million in the metro area) to a "big city" in SD - pop around ~65K. There are more people to choose from in Phx, but maybe I'm kidding myself, because I know people there weren't really known for being friendly.

So, what does everyone think? Is it easier to meet people in a HUGE metro area, or should I be grateful that I moved to a smaller, friendlier town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_it_here View Post
So, what does everyone think?
I think you're nuts to move to SD regardless of the population... Sorry, I know that's not what you're asking.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:53 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Sorry to tell you this.....but I grew up in a small town (pop. less than 40k) and now live in a small city (approx 100k) and it is REALLY, REALLY hard to meet new people & date.

There's far less variety of people, and so if you don't fit in with your work / school /church then you're screwed, because those are the only pools you have to fish in. When I drive to cities like LA or SD, then I meet so many more like-minded people, and there's less worry about how I come off, because there's so many more options. If I don't hit it off with a guy, it's not like that's the dead end of my social network.

For a small town, you have to be instantly likable to people because if you don't click, that was your one shot and one opportunity; there's not as many new people to move onto. Plus, that person probably knows a lot of other people you know, and they will spread their opinions of you; small town people are more clique-ish and actually harder to be-friend because of it. You will also inevitably run into them at some point, which is awkward. So if you're not cookie cutter and don't break into cliques easily, then it will be difficult in a small town.

Also, there's simply less opportunities to meet people. There's not as much going on in small towns and little to no night life. Like I said, outside of work / school / church there's not a lot of ways to date. I guess you have to network well, but there's less avenues for expanding a network....

Old 01-19-2009, 01:55 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I think you're nuts to move to SD regardless of the population... Sorry, I know that's not what you're asking.
Okay, where's the swat icon?

Lov_it,
I think a town that's too small can be a big problem, but I'm not so sure Rapid City is too small. You'll probably meet about as many people in a small city as you would in a larger one, so having an extra 3,935,000 people around you that you'll never meet isn't likely to make much difference except create all kinds of pollution and heavy traffic.

If you like Rapid City, I think you should stay there. Enlarge your circle of friends, take up some social hobbies, get involved in community affairs, and have fun. You should meet plenty of eligible guys, and most will be living in the area you like.

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:02 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,339,802 times
I moved from a small city with a population around 40,000 to a city with a metro area of around 2 million and I much prefer the big city. It's much easier to find activities to get involved in without having to drive 75 miles to do so. I've met a lot of nice people here. No relationships so far, but I think the chances of finding someone here are much greater than in a small town.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:00 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,545 times
Big towns/small cities are the best. Small towns are too insular, and big cities have too much competition, or so I am told.

But good luck in SD, I hear the men outnumber women there quite a bit, so should be no problem...

Old 01-19-2009, 06:28 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I agree Big towns/smaller cities are best, at least you have more of a selection. In a small town (less than 20K) especially when women usually outnumber men your chances of meeting Mr. Right is about slim to none and you are a newcomer to town.

In the Big city, I had no problem at all finding a date

Of course, if men outnumber women in SD then you are lucky.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:28 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,050 times
Dang I can't picture living in a City of over 50K.2K is Big to me,too much in the way of cars in a hurry to get nowhere.I met my wife in a town of 400 that was Big enough.

The town we live next to now has 12 people maybe.But its always hard to get to Church on Sunday with the traffic You know all the Horse and Buggies

hillman

Old 01-19-2009, 07:47 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Okay, where's the swat icon?
Here!

http://www.gogo-gadgets.co.uk/ekmps/...ly_swatter.jpg

Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I dated tons more during my time in small towns than my time in urban areas. The catch is that I didn't date just from MY small town...the net was expanded to include ALL SURROUNDING small towns. Guys were chomping at the bit to go out with the rarity...a young, educated, degreed professional female who didn't come with a passal of kids already, living in a small, rural town. I had scarcity value, it was a rare thing. In an urban area, that's not so rare. I'm currently in an urban area and in a long-term, serious, cohabiting relationship, but if I were single and on the market, I have no doubt that things would be tough. Most of my single acquaintances point this out often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships