Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:38 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times

Advertisements

What do you think of marriages where they say : " Oh we never fight or argue . We agree on everything...... This is within the first year of marriage or / a relationship ."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 05:41 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
i think--they are in their first year together. and are probably due for a blowup--lol

Old 05-19-2010, 05:42 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
What do you think of marriages where they say : " Oh we never fight or argue . We agree on everything...... This is within the first year of marriage or / a relationship ."
I would say that they are probably right. The first year is pretty easy. I mean, your just getting to know each other, and everything is a new!
Honeymoon stage is still happening, ya` know?

It can be possible that some marriages will say that years from the one year mark!!

Old 05-19-2010, 05:43 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,636 times
Quote:
I think ... enjoy it until you have kids

Old 05-19-2010, 05:44 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,483 times
Ah man, what is that called.... Ah yes, the honeymoon phase.

Right, those only last a few years (if that long) but after that, it's never the same. Some couples I've met are very lucky to have such a relationship but the majority of the time, it's never "Yes babe, we can get those tiles"; "Yes hun, I'll go pick up your mother", etc without some kind of disagreement or something of a sort.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:55 PM

396 posts, read 732,452 times
Quote:
I think there's a whole lot of room between "Oh we never fight or argue" and "we agree on everything."

You can disagree about something without fighting. I don't think it's at all outlandish to expect to NOT fight or argue. We're supposedly adults who love each other... we should be able to find some middle ground, some compromise, without resorting to fighting about it.

When someone tells me they never fight or argue, and have been married as long as I have, I assume they mean it the same way I do... we don't shout at each other, we don't belittle each other, we don't raise our voices in anger at each other, we don't slam doors and cabinets, we don't play passive-aggressive games with each other, we don't berate each other, we don't disrespect each other. We talk it out. We find a compromise we can both be comfortable with. We work together to find a solution.

We're supposed to be a team... not opposing factions.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:59 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,806 times
In less than 2 weeks we will celebrate our 11th anniversary. We have never had a fight. We have had 2 disagreements in those 11 years. Neither of us believe in fighting. It's pointless. Nothing ever gets resolved by screaming at each other.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:04 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,250,688 times
Quote:
I say it may be doomed? All of the elderly people I know who have been married 50 years or more go a round or two every now and then. They even do it with simple things when I am around. "What do you want me to set the thermostat at before I leave"? "Hold on, let me ask the queen"! "The queen has spoken"! LMAO.......... Ah, the joys of becoming old and retired one day!LOL........

Old 05-19-2010, 06:22 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,250,688 times
I have to tell you the most recent and funniest one that I have heard in a while. My dad and I were out at a restaurant and a elderly couple were sitting behind us. It was very loud and noisy inside because of some rowdy, drunk patrons. She told him that she didn't like all the noise and wanted to go home. Of course he said, "huh"? She must have asked him ten times as she was getting louder and louder every time. He didn't hear her apparently and when he did he said, "we can make that happen" very-very loud and I think my dad and I almost wet our pants laughing at them!LMAO.........

Old 05-19-2010, 06:46 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
The same couple must have been out the same time my mom took me, my aunt, niece etc. Was rather funny.

The thing is disagreements are a fact of life. It is all in how a couple goes about "fighting." To fight fair. not to duke it out or agree with your partner and then do it your way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships