Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:17 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times

Advertisements

The wife and I were talking last night. She asked me about my first girlfriend and if I ever kept anything she gave me. I told her no because personally I don't attach myself to sentimental stuff. Then she told me that her coworker kept stuff her high school sweetheart/first husband gave her, like letters, poems, necklaces and such. Then her second husband one day bumped into this memorabilia and got so upset that he threw everything away. She has a son from her first husband and she kept his pics when he was a little boy, pics of them together as a family and Valentine Day's card, among other sentimental stuff to give to her son when he's older and everything was lost.
Woud you be upset if your SO did something like this and would you give this stuff to your kids for them to keep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 05:45 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
The wife and I were talking last night. She asked me about my first girlfriend and if I ever kept anything she gave me. I told her no because personally I don't attach myself to sentimental stuff. Then she told me that her coworker kept stuff her high school sweetheart/first husband gave her, like letters, poems, necklaces and such. Then her second husband one day bumped into this memorabilia and got so upset that he threw everything away. She has a son from her first husband and she kept his pics when he was a little boy, pics of them together as a family and Valentine Day's card, among other sentimental stuff to give to her son when he's older and everything was lost.
Woud you be upset if your SO did something like this and would you give this stuff to your kids for them to keep?
Nah...wouldn't bother me a bit. I think it's unrealistic to expect someone to try and erase things like this from their lives. And I don't see anything wrong with giving the child these things.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:54 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post

This would cause a knock down drag out fight in my house. These were NOT his things to throw away.
He could have asked he, respectfully I might add, to sort thru them and have HER dispose of what was really not necessary.

Crap like this just burns my crawl.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:01 AM

838 posts, read 1,876,568 times
One old girlfriend (from Jr year in high school) is one of my closest friends; she & I still joke about things that we did way back when. My wife knows her well and has no problems with it.

About 3 years ago, I got back in touch, via email, with another old flame. This one didn't break my heart, she tore it out & stomped it flat. But that was almost 30 years ago, and we've become good friends. We haven't seen each other, but I am going to have lunch with her daughter soon. That will be fun, swapping stories about her mom. Again, my wife doesn't mind.

Then there's my First Love, who fell in between the two above. I've been looking for her for 5 years. I was getting close, but word came back through a third party to "stop the search". I wanted to find out who she is today, who she married, all about her kids. Oh well.

I have all kinds of stuff in various boxes from those times. I've been writing a book about me, and there are photos and stories about those three and a couple other girlfriends. My wife is fine with it. She knows I've gotten very nostalgic, and knows me well enough to know I'll never do something stupid.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:12 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,612 times
Not only would I NOT get upset, I would be mad as hell at that man in the original post. He had absolutely no right and it especially makes it worse since there was a child. Even if there was not a child, obviously she cared about this man at some point and you can't just "erase" a whole section of your life, nor should you even try.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:26 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Not really. In every relationship there are some good times that people want to remember. If someone has a problem with that, screw them.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:36 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,330 times
thats not so bad. I found my wife's "list" one day. Now I know the names of every guy she has slept with. Some that I even met without knowing it. LOL

The past is the past. Good thing I never kept a "list"

I actually give her **** about it whenever I can get a jab in. LOL

Old 01-29-2009, 06:42 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
thats not so bad. I found my wife's "list" one day. Now I know the names of every guy she has slept with. Some that I even met without knowing it. LOL

Well, maybe I'm a hypoctite, but it would all depend on just who was on her list. I mean, if my dad was on it (or my sister), I'd be pretty upset. I'd also be upset if some entire pro sports team was on it. ("Dear diary, whew, I finally made it the punter last night and that concludes the whole roster on the Dallas Cowboys...")

But then again, if it's your general dweebs & dopes, I'm cool with it.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:49 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
The husband who threw the stuff away is not secure in his marriage or his manhood IMO. Cant ya just smell the jealousy?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:49 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post

After reading this post, it gave me a very sharp pain in my stomach prompting me to go to the bathroom. If I bumped into by accident then I would ask her why's she keeping it. If it's a long list of names I wouldn't know what I to say to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships