U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:37 PM

350 posts, read 3,944,359 times

Advertisements

There was an article on yahoo today that discussed the concept of the "office spouse"--i.e. someone of the opposite sex at work whom you confide in, hang out with, and even flirt with. I don't know how to post the article but it was very interesting.

What do you think about this? Is it okay to have an "office spouse"?

Personally, as a married woman, I think this is completely wrong. I don't think that men and women should be "emotionally intimate" at work as the article was discussing. I think that sharing deep thoughts and feelings, talking about your marriage, and discussing personal matters should be left only to your spouse and same sex friends.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 04:40 PM

21,274 posts, read 5,947,528 times
I was invoolved in a few situations like this but we considered it being close friends.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:48 PM

9,227 posts, read 15,422,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
There was an article on yahoo today that discussed the concept of the "office spouse"--i.e. someone of the opposite sex at work whom you confide in, hang out with, and even flirt with. I don't know how to post the article but it was very interesting.

What do you think about this? Is it okay to have an "office spouse"?

Personally, as a married woman, I think this is completely wrong. I don't think that men and women should be "emotionally intimate" at work as the article was discussing. I think that sharing deep thoughts and feelings, talking about your marriage, and discussing personal matters should be left only to your spouse and same sex friends.
I don't see why they want to put a new label on something that has been happening for ages, in and out of the office.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:57 PM

10,706 posts, read 22,177,083 times
I don't think it's possible to avoid the kinds of friendships others call "office spouses". It's a bit derogatory but the actual relationship can be helpful, productive, and harmless if the involved parties know where to draw the line.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:58 PM

I think it's healthy. It gives an outsider's point of view to look at.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:59 PM

2,412 posts, read 4,792,061 times
Offices are full of gossipers. When men and women work together, it's real easy to become an office spouce, just nod and agree with her that he's an a-hole, and you're in!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:03 PM

838 posts, read 1,745,954 times
I think it's ok. I have a good female friend at work I call my "Work Spouse". And my wife knows all about her and doesn't mind.

Mary and I have an emotionally intimate, but also platonic, relationship. We know quite a bit about each other, but not everything. We use each other to vent when one of us needs it, and we also laugh a lot. She loves to tell me all about her grandchildren, and I tell her about my 24 yr old twin sons latest adventures. When my wife was in the hospital for a month in '05, and several times of various lengths of time since, Mary has been a big part of my support group. And I'm a part of her support through the trials & tribulations she goes through (of which there are many).

Because we know each other so well, and we both know the other will never make a serious "indecent proposal", we flirt like teenagers for fun. Yes, my wife knows; I've told her everything I've ever said to Mary, and everything Mary's ever said to me.

My wife also said if anything ever happens to her, I should marry Mary.

One of the best things for Mary and I about having a Work Spouse is that when we get to work at 6 am, there's someone there who's genuinely glad to see us.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Offices are full of gossipers. When men and women work together, it's real easy to become an office spouce, just nod and agree with her that he's an a-hole, and you're in!
IMO, the gossipers are jealous since they don't have that kind of realionship.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:04 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,351,937 times
I've had good gossiping male friends at work with whom I even went to lunch with. But I always told my husband about the gossip and the lunch.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:10 PM

838 posts, read 1,745,954 times
Kibbles, or anyone else, can you post a link to the story? I poked around yahoo but can't find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships