Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 05:45 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times

Advertisements

I grew up with a sister who was the pretty and smart one.

I too thought I was fat and ugly.

We got together a few years back and had a picture taken. And so many people asked the sister how it felt to be over shadowed by her younger sister.

BTW I still have self-esteem problems and don't believe a word of it when people say things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:26 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
I grew up with a sister who was the pretty and smart one.

I too thought I was fat and ugly.

We got together a few years back and had a picture taken. And so many people asked the sister how it felt to be over shadowed by her younger sister.

BTW I still have self-esteem problems and don't believe a word of it when people say things like that.
It amazes me that thru the years teen girls have had such issues with self esteem. It's a shame and maybe more of a serious problem than we know.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:36 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,260 times
I was not an ugly duckling, but was so shy and low self-esteem, that I could not feel myself as pretty. That was in Middle and High School and being with the same people over all those years, it was hard to break out of that shell. I was always in the shadow of one particular friend and tried to be like her. It wasn't me. If I could go back I would have found different friends, Taken art classes, joined clubs and the band. I finally found myself when I went to college and had to make new friends. I was a late blossom so to speak.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:54 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
I was always the less attractive younger sister. For whatever reason, my mother and sisters did their best to make sure I knew it too.

However, looking back, I went to more dances and had more boyfriends than my sisters. I kept my boyfriends a secret because I didn't want the teasing and scrutiny. I think my sisters dated less because they were so focused on that part of their lives. Constantly wondering if this one was good enough for them, or what their friends thought of that one. Is this one ever going to call. Should I send a note to that one.

I think I had a more well-rounded teen life with extra-curricular activities, hobbies, a job, etc. A boyfriend was just someone to have fun with on the weekends.

Now, my husband and son look at my HS and childhood pictures and tell me I was cute. They think my mom and sisters did a number on me. To me it's just as well, because I think it gave me a healthy dose of humility. It always made me want to look at the beauty within, instead of judging by appearances.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:05 AM

312 posts, read 1,017,853 times
Oh my

I was an ugly one.. as in .. my hair!

When I hit puberty my hair went all nutz on me. I went from nice wavy hair to super curly. Naturally curly hair is horrible when you are in 7th grade and your mother hasnt a clue how to help you with it.

So many names .. so many horrible little kids.. haha

I finally found out how to work with my hair and now I get compliments non stop.

Its funny to me how that works. It was so hard getting made fun of so much. I am ok with it now. Had I not been teased who knows what kind of a person I might be today. I have a very kind heart and I cannot stand for anyone to be put down or hurt by others, just cause they feel like they are bigger/stronger.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle View Post
When I hit puberty my hair went all nutz on me. I went from nice wavy hair to super curly. Naturally curly hair is horrible when you are in 7th grade and your mother hasnt a clue how to help you with it.
Crazy people! I'd kill for natural curls like yours!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 AM

72 posts, read 190,306 times
I was an ugly duckling but that that why you treat people as you want to be treated.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:38 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
I wouldn't say I was an ugly duckling because I was very much into fashion, hair & makeup, but being tall had its challenges (not that I would change them.) I was a target because I was tall and was picked on by a number of the so called "popular" kids, but I also had a strong family support system that helped counteract that. And although there were a few who picked on me, most people were very complimentary, from teachers to strangers, so many of their words stuck with me.

I went to a rather large school (graduated with 1300 people), so it was pretty easy to find a clique that worked for you.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:46 AM

647 posts, read 2,083,331 times
I felt like an ugly-duckling growing up, mainly because of my height and skinny build. Even so, I still participated in all the sports and social activities.

I didn't hit my "growth-spurt" until college, when I grew an additional 3 inches to my current height. As for how I feel now, I just feel normal, I guess; I don't feel like I look that good, but I don't go around thinking about it.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 AM

312 posts, read 1,017,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Crazy people! I'd kill for natural curls like yours!

HaHa! You made me smile Thanks

I would really enjoy hair that didnt take an army of hairdressers and a few hours to flat iron it out.

I have finally have came to the realization that I have curly hair.. lol And there is nothing I can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships