Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:55 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,783,345 times

Advertisements

In college I was working at a place where we activated peoples cell phones (similar to a call center). I had a good guy friend who we always sat next together, strictly friends. Most people thought we were interested in each other but there was no attraction and he was in a relationship. Well one day we were sitting next to a "new guy" who was obviously not experienced in dating but was not afraid to strick up a conversation. Well the guy asked me to hang out sometime to which my friend encouraged me to go as a "pity date". I went out with him because I felt sorry for him, we were at dinner and he told me not to order anything over $10 and that we should ask for lemons so that we could make our own lemonade with the water and sugar that they give you for free! Anyway the guy was much more persistent then I expected and I ended up having to tell him a lie that I joined a religion where I couldn't date anymore.

I told my friend that next time we see a "pity date" he would have to go. I have more, I've dated far too much in my life but it leaves for really great stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 08:43 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,307,468 times
There were two women that I can recall having bad first dates with. As mentioned here by another, it is not good to be set up with a woman through your father. This woman in every way was like my mother, which I noted immediately, although I was game, we went out, had dinner, and I 'lost' her number thereafter. She never called back either.

By far my worse first and second date came with a woman I had really liked in college. I was thrilled to get her phone number and we made our date. The first one we agreed to was 'Full Metal Jacket,' a very tough movie, gruesome and gory. Acknowledging we chose poorly, We agreed to try a second time and chose to see 'The River's Edge,' and on arriving at the movie and being seated, discovered it was about a girl that was murdered and her body left at the river's edge. The most horrific part of it was that this woman looked like the murder victim. We left the theater and parted company. Nothing more could have been said or done.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:51 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
There were two women that I can recall having bad first dates with. As mentioned here by another, it is not good to be set up with a woman through your father. This woman in every way was like my mother, which I noted immediately, although I was game, we went out, had dinner, and I 'lost' her number thereafter. She never called back either.

By far my worse first and second date came with a woman I had really liked in college. I was thrilled to get her phone number and we made our date. The first one we agreed to was 'Full Metal Jacket,' a very tough movie, gruesome and gory. Acknowledging we chose poorly, We agreed to try a second time and chose to see 'The River's Edge,' and on arriving at the movie and being seated, discovered it was about a girl that was murdered and her body left at the river's edge. The most horrific part of it was that this woman looked like the murder victim. We left the theater and parted company. Nothing more could have been said or done.
Why on earth are you going to movies on your first and second dates??

Old 02-20-2012, 09:50 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
Same type of incident happened on 2 different occasions with guys I met online.

1. Guy sends me a picture that has to be from 10 years and 50 lbs ago. Needless to say I was kind of disappointed when we met, but decided to keep an open mind anyway. He goes on to say while we are at dinner about how people should just sleep together on the first date to get the question of sexual chemistry out of the way. I calmly informed him I hope he wasn't expecting that of me because it wasn't happening.

2. Guy meets up with me, normal conversation, we're hitting it off. Then he starts going on about his ex GF and how they used to have all these adventures together, being swingers, picking up other couples, etc. I didn't think this was good first date convo, so I just listened. Needless to say, the next communication from him after the date was a pic of his nether region. WTH is it with me and meeting guys that just want to get laid from online?

The absolute worst one however was when I was really young, stupid and incredibly naive. I made the mistake of taking the train all the way out from Brooklyn to Coram to meet up with this guy. He claimed we were going out to dinner, instead he took me to the drive thru at McDonalds. We sat in the car talking, and he then tried to drive me to some remote area, and since I was unfamiliar territory, I asked him where were we going. He stated we were going to his house. Red flags flying now. I yelled at him to either take me back to the train station or I was going to jump out of the car and call the cops. Needless to say he took me back but not without trying to force himself on me first in which I kicked him in the balls.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:14 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
I went out with him because I felt sorry for him, we were at dinner and he told me not to order anything over $10 and that we should ask for lemons so that we could make our own lemonade with the water and sugar that they give you for free! Anyway the guy was much more persistent then I expected and I ended up having to tell him a lie that I joined a religion where I couldn't date anymore.
Classic! And you just reminded me of Horrible First Date Only No. 2:

It was a guy I met on Match.com. He asked me for a coffee date at a really cool locally-owned coffee shop. We agreed to meet there. When I showed up, he was already there with his OWN THERMOS OF COFFEE — along with some food he'd brought from home and his laptop. He told me that the coffee shop charged too much and went on a tirade about how cafes and restaurants were too expensive, so it's better to "bring your own food and drinks."

WTF —? I mean, why not just ask me to meet for a walk in the park?

I was absolutely humiliated that my date did this, and believe me, the counter help noticed too. They were giving him the evil eye while he opened his laptop and logged onto the shop's WiFi service — so I get the impression that he'd pulled that stunt often. I ended up ordering an expensive specialty drink and a muffin to make up for the money he didn't spend there.

Unbelievable!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:23 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Classic! And you just reminded me of Horrible First Date Only No. 2:

It was a guy I met on Match.com. He asked me for a coffee date at a really cool locally-owned coffee shop. We agreed to meet there. When I showed up, he was already there with his OWN THERMOS OF COFFEE — along with some food he'd brought from home and his laptop. He told me that the coffee shop charged too much and went on a tirade about how cafes and restaurants were too expensive, so it's better to "bring your own food and drinks."

WTF —? I mean, why not just ask me to meet for a walk in the park?

I was absolutely humiliated that my date did this, and believe me, the counter help noticed too. They were giving him the evil eye while he opened his laptop and logged onto the shop's WiFi service — so I get the impression that he'd pulled that stunt often. I ended up ordering an expensive specialty drink and a muffin to make up for the money he didn't spend there.

Unbelievable!
That's ridiculous! The staff should have gave him the boot.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:48 PM

228 posts, read 421,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
Same type of incident happened on 2 different occasions with guys I met online.

1. Guy sends me a picture that has to be from 10 years and 50 lbs ago. Needless to say I was kind of disappointed when we met, but decided to keep an open mind anyway. He goes on to say while we are at dinner about how people should just sleep together on the first date to get the question of sexual chemistry out of the way. I calmly informed him I hope he wasn't expecting that of me because it wasn't happening.

2. Guy meets up with me, normal conversation, we're hitting it off. Then he starts going on about his ex GF and how they used to have all these adventures together, being swingers, picking up other couples, etc. I didn't think this was good first date convo, so I just listened. Needless to say, the next communication from him after the date was a pic of his nether region. WTH is it with me and meeting guys that just want to get laid from online?

The absolute worst one however was when I was really young, stupid and incredibly naive. I made the mistake of taking the train all the way out from Brooklyn to Coram to meet up with this guy. He claimed we were going out to dinner, instead he took me to the drive thru at McDonalds. We sat in the car talking, and he then tried to drive me to some remote area, and since I was unfamiliar territory, I asked him where were we going. He stated we were going to his house. Red flags flying now. I yelled at him to either take me back to the train station or I was going to jump out of the car and call the cops. Needless to say he took me back but not without trying to force himself on me first in which I kicked him in the balls.
Predators

Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 PM

18 posts, read 26,569 times
NO ONE should have to go through this. Where do these people get the idea that it's okay to behave like this?

Like from that movie -- "Where were you raised? In a barn?"

Old 02-26-2012, 08:51 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It's weird to say this, but it never occurred to me before. I've never gone on just one date with anybody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Well, here's one more for the weird club. I've never gone on just one date either.
Me neither.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:12 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
More of a pattern than a worst first date story...noticed during college and grad school.

If I asked out girls who weren't very academically oriented, they thought I was "weird" - too analytical, philosophical, worldly...sort of their way of attempting to bring me down to their level, sorry. And I'm not a nerd. Needless to say, you could tell that a second date would never happen, so why bother.

If I asked out "smart" girls, who weren't nerdy, but were into doing well in school, interested in the more complicated dynamics in the world, and who, for some reason, spoke another language, either because of their parents or because they themselves were interested in learning one, a second date was guaranteed.

I also learned that I get along WAY better with women with dark hair, or redheads, than I do with blondes...don't know why. Don't feel like paying a shrink to find out.

It was at this point that I learned that most people have TYPES and don't bother messing with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships