U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:22 PM

132 posts, read 422,273 times

Advertisements

This is in response to PassTheChocolate's post regarding a first date who tried to impress her, and CESpeed's reply story of an unimpressive first date.

What is your worst first date story?

Mine was the guy who took me out to eat at an inexpensive Applebee's-type restaurant. During dinner, he regaled me with stories of how he got court-martialed during his 20s for selling drugs in the military. It wasn't his fault, they weren't his drugs, it was all just an honest mistake and the government just couldn't see his side of it.

When the bill came, he looked at his cell phone to check the latest text from his bank to see if he had enough to cover it. I offered to pay, but apparently he had enough funds. He paid the bill and we left. We walked out to his beat-up minivan, with the driver's side mirror hanging from its side by the electrical wire, when the waiter came running out after us to return the cell phone my date left sitting on the table. He thanked the waiter and as he walked away, my date turned to me and said, "Wow. I can't believe he brought my phone out to me. I didn't even leave him a tip!"

No second date.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 06:06 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,481,876 times
The most incredibly horrible first date of my life came after I had been newly divorced, was raising my teen age son alone and decided to accept a BLIND date. Well, I kind of knew the blind date but hadn't seen him in years. We had gone to high school together, he was a star athlete having broken every school record while on the track team and was, I assumed, probably still in good shape and in good health...heck an athlete? What could go wrong. Well, come date time this "apparition" shows up at my door with wrinkled green work pants, a filthy flannel shirt, greasy long hair, a huge bulbous nose from drinking too much over the years and work boots. I was totally floored but tried to be polite. We went out to eat at a local diner and I could NOT get out of there fast enough. On the way home, he purchased a six pack of beer and I was in trouble. We got to my home and I immediately called my six foot, 250 pound son to come home from his friend's house. My "date" did not stay long after my son came home!! Moral to this story....NO BLIND DATES.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:28 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,903,979 times
This isn't my story but a friend of mine..

He was at the grocery store one day and saw the most beautiful woman he had ever seen there. He has the "gift of gab", can talk to anyone, anywhere and impress them so he walked up to her and started talking to her. She was there with her mother (and that impressed him) and he asked Miss Beautiful for her phone number.

He called and asked her out, she accepted. He went and picked her up and they went to eat, he asked where she would like to go and she suggested a place but asked him if they could stop at the store and get a drink on the way. He did, she goes and picks up a 12 pack of beer, soon as they get back in the car, she pops a top and downs one. At the restaurant, she ordered a drink while waiting for her food, ordered another to drink with her food and another after eating.. Once back in the car, she pops another top and downs another beer, he could see the plans for the date he had were going down the tubes fast and decided against taking her dancing or anywhere public so they just drove around while she finished the 12 pack. At one point, they were on the interstate and she remarked she needed to go to the bathroom, he said "OK" and said he would take the next exit a few miles ahead.. She said "but I have to go NOW!" and got insistant that he pull over "NOW!"...
What could he do? He pulled over and this is where it gets downright funny. He had not paid attention to where he pulled over and when she stepped out of the car, there was a cliff and she fell down the cliff when she squatted to do her business... He said he had to go down there and get her, her panties were around her ankles, her hair was a mess, full of weeds and trash and her dress ruined and soaked with ****. He said he took her home and dropped her off in front of her house and got out of there as fast as he could.

He had me cracking up! I could not believe he even would tell anybody about this disaster date. He is well educated and has a very prestigious job and a very high class man..

Old 02-13-2009, 11:22 AM

2,265 posts, read 4,206,646 times
Not as bad as some of those shown here, but I’ll bite.

Last year I was set up with a girl whose picture I hadn’t seen. Well, she wasn’t my type, but I wanted to give her a chance.

The girl wasn’t interested from the moment she saw me. The “intermediary” was a very warm, friendly, and yes, attractive woman who did her best to break the ice (and sadly, she’s married). My date did not even look at me while the 3 of us talked at the caf√©; I did my best to ask superficial questions, and my date would answer in short answers, and again, without eye contact. I had much more fun speaking to the intermediary.

Intermediary lady leaves. I take my date to a nearby restaurant… for the most frigid meal I’d had in years. Now, was there no conversation? Did she refuse to look at me? Was she rude? No, no, and no. But she was not warm. I felt like I was being interrogated. The way she spoke wasn’t aggressive, harsh, or overwhelming – but I had a sense that she was judging me with her attitude and the way she looked at me. She was more polite than friendly, and gave off this cool, detached, apathetic sense.

I’m a normally outgoing, friendly, and unabashed person. I have been known to approach strangers or girls at bars, even if they gave me cold looks, to just ask a question or say something. But this girl made me feel so uncomfortable I couldn’t wait to end the date. It had been ages since I’d felt so completely uncomfortable and uneasy during a date – even some of the worse ones had been much better than this.

I drove her home, and she said I didn’t need to take her to her front door; leaving her a block away would’ve sufficed. I insisted, out of manners, to drop her off right in front of her home.

Oh – and on the way home she jokingly mocked the way I had said a certain word. I laughed, but inside I fumed – how dare this person make a joke of the way others speak, all the more a man she had met for the first time, who had bought her dinner, and who was driving her home?

I felt immense relief after she walked out of my car. IMMENSE.

A few days later, I got a call from the intermediary lady – she said that my date had later regretted some of her actions because she thought she’d come across as stuck-up or cold and that I would’ve gotten a bad first impression. Intermediary lady’s language was clear in that they both wanted me to give her a second shot. But I told intermediary lady about how thoroughly uncomfortable I’d felt, and told her in detail about how angry I had been about my date’s joke towards my pronunciation. To highlight the issue, I reminded intermediary lady that SHE and date were recent arrivals in the USA whose English was quite limited, and I would have never made fun of their accented English. So how did this person find it amusing to make fun of an American citizen’s speech?

Intermediary lady was embarrassed and apologized. I said it wasn’t her fault, but told her that I would not agree to a second date.

Not long after, my date emailed me to say hello. I wrote back politely but coldly – and that was the end of it.

You can be hot, you can be intelligent, and you can be the epitome of what every man wants in a woman… but if you are cold, and if you have no manners… forget it.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:37 AM

44,793 posts, read 43,770,771 times
I used to hang in a large group of people and had friends of friends, you know whatever. Anyway I was hanging out with the girl and we were probably around 20ish. She was really pretty but on the quite side. She also had a little bit of a rough edge to her. Sorta like she grew up on the poor side, I don't know how to explain it any other way.

Well anyway things are going ok and were driving on the way to this party and talking in the car, well the she rolls the window down and makes this sound like she's pulling up phlegm then she hawks a gobber out of the window.

I was like WTF.

Needless to say there was never a second "date".

Old 02-13-2009, 02:53 PM

25,387 posts, read 32,374,823 times
Which one do you want? The one where I was on my worst date or the one where I was the worst date?

The one where I was the worst first date was a guy who was so stuck up and persnickity I just couldn't stand it. We'd gone to some boring formal affair on a hot summer night. On the way home, the group we were with wanted to stroll by the waterfront. I decided to go swimming in a floor length gown. I still remember the look on his face when I climbed out of the water and said "Don't worry, it's wash and wear" referring to my dress which wasn't up to his standards anyway. I was, definitely, not good enough for him. I can't even remember his name.

My worst first date had to be the guy who showed me his family yacht, the family mansion and several other family properties. The entire "date" was about what his family owned. The only thing he didn't show me were the family jewels. We weren't going there.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:57 PM

2,412 posts, read 4,703,365 times
When they can't wait 5 frigg'n minutes to go through their bullet point list..

Job
Income level
House or rent?
Children? Want more? Do you like children?
Education Level?

Old 02-13-2009, 05:27 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,903,979 times
Quote:
The only thing he didn't show me were the family jewels. We weren't going there.
That had me rolling on the floor laughing! TOOOOO funny!

Old 02-13-2009, 05:29 PM

11,481 posts, read 31,055,026 times
WHAT WOULD YOU DO ON A FIRST DATE THAT WAS TURNING SOUR?
"I'd run home and play dead. The next day I would call all the newspapers and make sure they wrote about me in all the dead columns." Craig, age 9

Old 04-12-2010, 04:01 PM

181 posts, read 293,292 times
A very handsome guy that ran in a circle of my friends had taken a liking to me. I had heard he was quite the ladies man. I was a single mother at the time, so I had neither the time nor the inclination to put up with a player. However, he kept asking, so I said yes. I always take money for dates, just in case. However, since HE asked ME, I expected HIM to pay. He knew I was a single mom. He should not put me in the imposition to have to pay not knowing if a date was in my budget. Needless to say, we went out to dinner, and when the bill came, he didn't have money. I grudgingly paid, as we had all ridden together in a group date. However, when we got to the movies and he couldn't pay, I called a friend to come and pick me up.

After that, he used to come to my work and bring me lunch, asking me for a second chance. I just couldn't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships