Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:22 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times

Advertisements

Ads, merchandise every which way I turn, chatter on the internet, chatter on radio and chatter on tv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 02:47 AM

440 posts, read 1,681,957 times
I fondly refer to it as, Singles Awareness Day

Old 02-13-2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWPN View Post
Sad but true.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:36 AM

647 posts, read 2,082,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Ads, merchandise every which way I turn, chatter on the internet, chatter on radio and chatter on tv.
I know! I'm so tired of it already. Hurry up, Sunday!

Old 02-13-2009, 04:50 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
What's wrong with a national day of caring? It just so happens it is called Valentine's day and it has been around for AGES. Are you perhaps someone who has lost at love? Why do you not like Valentine's day? Heck, get a puppy and love it for Valentine's Day, how about a kitten? Valentine's Day is not exclusive to just perhaps having a boyfriend or girlfriend...spread your sunshine to all living things and "suck it up"....it is only one day.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
What's wrong with a national day of caring? It just so happens it is called Valentine's day and it has been around for AGES. Are you perhaps someone who has lost at love? Why do you not like Valentine's day? Heck, get a puppy and love it for Valentine's Day, how about a kitten? Valentine's Day is not exclusive to just perhaps having a boyfriend or girlfriend...spread your sunshine to all living things and "suck it up"....it is only one day.
You obviously haven't finished your morning coffee hence why you have taken my post so seriously. No I have not lost in love and thanks for the pet advice, but I am owned by two pups and 3 dogs and as mentioned on another post will be seening a show (AvenueQ) in Londons Westend with two friends and then going on to a restaurant after.

My cup runneth over as yiu can tell

Old 02-13-2009, 06:42 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
It's annoying.

Plus, i feel the same way about Christmas.

I'd respect it a lot more if every retailer in the country didn't turn into red and pink IMMEDIATELY after Christmas.

Every holiday in this country is nothing but an opportunity to sell crap. Thus, I don't celebrate any that I don't have to.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:43 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
At least candy will be on sale Sunday

Old 02-14-2009, 12:44 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
It's annoying. Plus, i feel the same way about Christmas. Every holiday in this country is nothing but an opportunity to sell crap. Thus, I don't celebrate any that I don't have to.
i have to agree with this post

things improved in a big way for me when someone pointed out that i have a CHOICE about what holidays I celebrate, and which I ignore. I basically get to write my own calendar

it's been great fun. I deleted immediately holidays with very good reason (some like the person above said because they are ads to sell crap, some for spiritual reasons, some because my personal beliefs opposed them). And now when those days roll around I remind myself why I deleted them, and feel really peaceful about it because it reminds me that not only do I get to create a meaningful CALENDAR for myself, I get to create a meaningful LIFE for myself.

So in the same way I surround myself with people who are dear to me for the qualities I treasure, cherish, and respect.....so too I give meaning to the days on the calendar based on my own personal values and what I hold dear.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:01 PM

670 posts, read 2,113,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWPN View Post

While holidays are commercialized and an opportunity for stores to make a profit by promoting our sentiment for others, I would gladly "buy in" to it, if I weren't by myself today. If I had someone special to spoil and share the day with, I'd happily give in to the hearts and flowers and gifts that go along with Valentine's Day.

In short, wish I had the opportunity to be a rampant consumer!
...Maybe next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships