Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 01:56 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Interesting how men want women who have "good financial prospects"....and yet, women don't list that for men. Contradicts the "women just want to take a man for all he's got" theories circulating around here.
Perhaps young women (18 to 22) today think they will get a job that pays so well that this is irrelevant. They'll learn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
I think this study is a bit skewed. After all, they only interviewed 18-22 year olds, and only a bit over 1000. I really wonder how honest people are when it comes to these studies, with the interviewer/surveyor, and with themselves.
Asking people is often a very poor way to understand what motivates them. Much better to observe the outcomes of their decisions. By this standard, my observation is that money and looks are more important than many women let on. They feel "cheap" if they were to state it. However, the fact that they seldom seem to find those attributes that they claim they want, speaks volumes.

Of course, another factor is that there are attributes that people know cannot be changed and those that they believe can be changed. They are nearly always wrong about the latter but that doesn't stop many women from trying, after they've selected men based on the first.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:15 AM

Default The World Turned Upside Down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanACM View Post
I can't even imagine what a bunch of 18-22yr olds think these days!
If you are talking about those at college, the young women today think a lot like the young men did 30 years ago. "There are two or more guys for every woman on campus. I better bust my a$$ to get ahead so one will be attracted to me!"

Substitute "guys" for "girls" and "women" for "men" and you are probably be closer to the truth today than you'd like to believe. There certainly aren't the number of good male prospects that there used to be. However, fewer than ever believe in the Cinderella myth.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:07 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
The other day I was looking for some info about fungi on that webpage and wikipedia was one of its sources...

WHAT MEN WANT

Essential characteristics:
  • Mutual attraction and love
  • Dependable character
  • Emotional stability
Important characteristics:
  • Education and intelligence
  • Good looks
  • Ambition
Desirable characteristics:
  • Good financial prospect
  • Good cook and housekeeper
Good lucks, good financial prospect, good cook and housekeeper? "Only that"? LOL
I just love that one. Why can't a man cook and clean for himself?

Ladies, if a man says that this is what he is looking for....RUN! He is going to be a lazy slob with no intention of helping out at home, even if you work 60 hours a week. They will still want you to do everything for them! They are looking for another momma to care for them.

Domestic slaves.....free yourselves!

Old 02-14-2009, 11:51 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
The other day I was looking for some info about fungi on that webpage and wikipedia was one of its sources...

WHAT MEN WANT

Essential characteristics:
  • Mutual attraction and love
  • Dependable character
  • Emotional stability
Important characteristics:
  • Education and intelligence
  • Good looks
  • Ambition
Desirable characteristics:
  • Good financial prospect
  • Good cook and housekeeper
Good lucks, good financial prospect, good cook and housekeeper? "Only that"? LOL
Apparently, all she has to do is bring home the bacon, fry it up in the pan, clean up the mess afterwards and look darned good in that french maids outfit while she does it

I have to ask what's in marriage for her???

Old 02-14-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Apparently, all she has to do is bring home the bacon, fry it up in the pan, clean up the mess afterwards and look darned good in that french maids outfit while she does it

I have to ask what's in marriage for her???
Not a whole lot, it appears. She gets to do everything while he sits on his lazy butt and watches sports.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:45 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
I just love that one. Why can't a man cook and clean for himself?

Ladies, if a man says that this is what he is looking for....RUN! He is going to be a lazy slob with no intention of helping out at home, even if you work 60 hours a week. They will still want you to do everything for them! They are looking for another momma to care for them.

Domestic slaves.....free yourselves!
I agree. I will not be picking up after anyone who can't do it for themselves. I want to be with someone who shares in the housekeeping. If you cook, I'll wash the dishes. If you don't want to do laundry, take out the trash and mow the grass. Let's be adults, not children.

I remember when my ex and I started dating, his room was a mess. I thought it was so cute to clean up his place for him, just because I was able to spend time with him. Boy did I learn my lesson years later.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:30 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Who would trust a 22 year old man to even understand relationships, much less intimate relationships? Or even what they wanted in them?

It's a very generic list that tells me a lot of research was done and most young men of this generation don't really have enough understanding of life to give specifics.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
I agree. I will not be picking up after anyone who can't do it for themselves. I want to be with someone who shares in the housekeeping. If you cook, I'll wash the dishes. If you don't want to do laundry, take out the trash and mow the grass. Let's be adults, not children.

I remember when my ex and I started dating, his room was a mess. I thought it was so cute to clean up his place for him, just because I was able to spend time with him. Boy did I learn my lesson years later.
Me too and even now both of my children (boy and girl) do the same chores. My son knows how to sew, make his own meals and clean the kitchen. My daughter can help lay a floor, tear down a wall and clean the pool. No separate male vs. female jobs like when I was raised. Everybody does everything.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:59 AM

323 posts, read 835,309 times
For some reason womens lib has backfired. Men now want women to do EVERYTHING. Bring in the money, cook, clean, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships