Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2019, 07:21 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
I would hate to be a virgin at 41. Half my life gone, with no sex. I think a lot of adult virgins live in a fantasy world where they believe Prince or Princess Charming is still going to appear out of nowhere and sweep them off their feet; then their first time will be in a bed filled with rose petals, after they get married in the castle.
Or it's the opposite. No one has really ignited the torch for them despite claiming they would do all of those things to make it romantic for them. It's not always some underlying issue or the result of an overactive imagination. Quite a few people are aware that other people aren't that "amazing" and the Disney narrative is false. Some people just may have not come across someone they are interested in or sex is just not a priority for them.

These kinds of discussions are really ridiculous because it's too personal. No one can tell another person how they should live their lives. Or that they are some how inferior/superior because they made different choices. The crux of this issue is that a lot of people can't respect the decisions of others without putting down a whole group of other individuals. Regardless of how "real" they think they're being.

This goes for people on both sides.

Last edited by Auraliea; 12-02-2019 at 07:30 PM..

Old 12-03-2019, 08:25 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yes, very hillarious. How is that working for you, Mr. 41 year old virgin and still waiting?

Short term relationships with sex versus no relationship and no sex... hmmmm..
He’d be 51 now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntley63 View Post
This is somewhat insulting.

I am a Virgin at 25 years old.
Plenty of friends both male and female, gainfully employed, just very physically unattractive.

How can you call someone a loser when it is not their fault if they were born aesthetically challenged?
At 25 you’re not. At 41 [or 51 now]... sorta...

Old 12-03-2019, 08:53 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
I think a lot of adult virgins live in a fantasy world where they believe Prince or Princess Charming is still going to appear out of nowhere and sweep them off their feet; then their first time will be in a bed filled with rose petals, after they get married in the castle.
And in reality it will be either with prostitutes in a dirty Motel 6 bed when he is fed up with waiting. Or find someone to marry and have an awkward first night in complete darkness with lots of premature ... and apologies and silent tears of disappointment.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:01 AM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
And in reality it will be either with prostitutes in a dirty Motel 6 bed when he is fed up with waiting. Or find someone to marry and have an awkward first night in complete darkness with lots of premature ... and apologies and silent tears of disappointment.
I agree that if you save sex for marriage, the sex you have on your first night might be a little awkward, because lots of peoples first sexual experience is awkward. But the people who do manage to save sex for marriage or who loose their virginity before marriage to the person they marry have lowest rates of divorce.

https://ifstudies.org/blog/counterin...tal-stability/

If your goal is good sex on your honeymoon night, having some experience before that helps out. If your goal in dating is to find someone with the lowest risk of divorce, finding and dating someone who thinks marriage is important and that saving sex for this marriage is important ends up being a really effective marriage strategy.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post

At 41 [or 51 now]... sorta...
Why?

Again it is not anyone's fault if they were born physically unattractive!

That is why I am not only a Virgin....but have never even kissed a woman!

Old 12-03-2019, 02:37 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
This thread sucked in its first several iterations, but this time around, it still sucks Who'd a thunk?

Old 12-03-2019, 02:46 PM

609 posts, read 263,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I agree that if you save sex for marriage, the sex you have on your first night might be a little awkward, because lots of peoples first sexual experience is awkward. But the people who do manage to save sex for marriage or who loose their virginity before marriage to the person they marry have lowest rates of divorce.

https://ifstudies.org/blog/counterin...tal-stability/
This is a cause and effect fallacy.

People who wait for marriage typically come from religion or culture that frown on divorce or don't even allow divorce at all. Not getting divorced isn't solely because they were virgins when they married. There are probably a variety of reasons. Simply being a virgin on your wedding night, in itself, can't give protection against divorce. If anything, I think marital dissatisfaction can result (even in the absence of divorce) if a person will wonder what sex could have been like with someone else.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:11 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
This thread sucked in its first several iterations, but this time around, it still sucks Who'd a thunk?
Yeah, but if you suck, you’re still a virgin, right?

I dated virgins a couple of times in my mid to late 20s. The inexperience with long term relationships and strange expectations killed it both times. One was somehow expecting the white horse and 2 carat rock by the 3rd or 4th date. The Disney version of dating, I guess.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:19 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:

People who wait for marriage typically come from religion or culture that frown on divorce or don't even allow divorce at all. Not getting divorced isn't solely because they were virgins when they married. There are probably a variety of reasons. Simply being a virgin on your wedding night, in itself, can't give protection against divorce. If anything, I think marital dissatisfaction can result (even in the absence of divorce) if a person will wonder what sex could have been like with someone else.
Baggage.

The more relationships, the more baggage.

Baggage is bad for relationships.

I know with the current gal all my behaviors/habits that upset her are ones I've developed directly from past failed relationships. They're not behaviors I had prior (I go to therapy regularly at times, logical thinker, I find it all interesting). If I think about them I can stop them, and overtime train myself to behave differently. It's mostly centered around cynicism I developed, I guess would be the easiest way to explain it.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:03 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,417 times
Quote:

Well, it's a theory that these kinds of people will be more willing to work at a marriage and not just throw in the towel like so many people do. That if they can hold off sex until marriage, they may likely be willing to work out the rough patches.

Like some will file for divorce just because they argued one too many times.

Side bar note: Funny thing, lawyers are now talking people OUT of getting divorced because the financial costs for a divorce show that they cannot afford it and they encourage the couple that they should work on their marriage instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships