Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 08:37 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I work with some good looking Doctors, both male AND female. The only problem I have with them is their smug, superior attitudes. I'm generalising of course but in my 17 years working in healthcare I have consistently seen Doctors display arrogance.

I despise arrogance in humans and therefore they are unlikable and ugly to me.
I dated a woman who was a nurse. She said she absolutely refused to date doctors. At first, I thought it was because she didn't want to date someone she worked with. But she explained it was because she couldn't stand the attitude of all the doctors she'd met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifan77 View Post
Lol you have to remeber that the medical profession attracts people who tended to be rather geeky prior to medical school. I am just telling it like it is. In general I find people with the MBAs to be the best looking followed by alot of Lawyers.

The medical profession generally attracts a certain personality type or person just like the legal profession or buisness has their certain types.

Dentist and Doctors are usually next in line with Engineers being at the bottom in terms of looks. Typically the harder the science is, the less attractive the people become. Don't believe me? Spend a weekend in the library at any School of Engineering or other hard graduate degree program in the sciences.

The best looking people in the hospital tend to be those working in human resources lol..
I don't entirely agree with this. I knew all kinds of people in high school and college who went into medicine. Some were good looking, others weren't. Some were nerdy, others weren't. And some were introverts, others were total go-getters. The only thing I found in common with all of them is that their looks faded over time, probably from the stress of med school, residency and fellowships. The unattractive people became even less attractive while the attractive people more often than not became unrecognizable.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skifan77 View Post
Typically the harder the science is, the less attractive the people become. Don't believe me? Spend a weekend in the library at any School of Engineering or other hard graduate degree program in the sciences.
Just because I'm feeling argumentative...The brilliant and quite popular homecoming queen for the high school class that followed mine graduated at 16, pursued molecular genetics, and is now a tenured professor at a well-regarded North American university. She's still quite a looker.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 02-17-2010 at 11:04 AM..

Old 02-18-2010, 12:31 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
That still doesn't mean they would make a good relationship partner though which is why I just don't get the fantasy about doctors. A doctor is like any other guy some are good people some are bad people some will have a personality you will like others do not.

I already said this once but I'll say it again there is not some magic pill doctors swallow when they become doctors that make them some sort of perfect relationship partner for every woman in the world.

I'll have to say I kind of feel sorry for you if you think only doctors care about you when you're upset or not feeling well you have dated some truly terrible men.
You feel sorry for me??
I wasn't speaking of my doctors who treat me as a patient. I was talking about being involved with someone who is a doctor.

You seem awfully offended over a very few sentences I threw out there, now why would that be??

Old 02-21-2010, 10:27 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I don't entirely agree with this. I knew all kinds of people in high school and college who went into medicine. Some were good looking, others weren't. Some were nerdy, others weren't. And some were introverts, others were total go-getters. The only thing I found in common with all of them is that their looks faded over time, probably from the stress of med school, residency and fellowships. The unattractive people became even less attractive while the attractive people more often than not became unrecognizable.
I don't know about the looks of doctors, in general, tho the few I know are attractive. But, as far as the sciences go, I agree. It's a mixed bag and there are more than a fair share of hotties walking the MIT campus.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:38 PM

27 posts, read 255,368 times
I think stereotypes of less attractive people in medicine or mathematics are trends, but definitely not absolutes as you'll find a range of appearances.

This reminds me of an episode of House where House (the main doc for those of you haven't seen it) compliments a female resident named Cameron because despite her good lucks she's an excellent and driven physician, because most (but not all) really beautiful women coast on their looks, and get a lot of things in life without much effort.

Back in med school, several of my fellow classmates did an informal visual survey of our medical campus with 500 med students and several thousand residents and came to the same conclusion.
The male med students/residents had an average smattering of looks with a decent amount of handsome men, the biggest group was the average but decent looking guys and then there was a slightly larger than normal number of nerdy looking guys compared to the city around us.

On the other hand the physical appearance of the female med students/residents was noticeably worse than the average appearance of women in the city. (BTW, this was not LA or NYC, but an average US city). The main difference was there were very few women students/docs in the really attractive group. Most were in the average looking group, and (similar to the men) the nerdy or below average group was larger than average compared to the city around us.

I think House had it right when he said that a fairly small percentage of beautiful women will go through the hassles of medical training, because they can just coast on their looks.

Don't get me wrong, there are still some really attractive female doctors, just much less than average percentage of true beauties in the general population. Most of these docs are wonderful people, and are in medicine for the right reasons.

And as mentioned, most of the female physicians are in the average but nice looking group, just like the rest of the US population.

Last edited by bedrock; 02-23-2010 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: .

Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 11,622 times
Women love doctors because they are intelligent, well respected professionals. They've shown dedication to something they are passionate about. They have the ability to take care of you and your children when you're sick. They're financially secure. They make the world a better place. Why wouldn't women love doctors?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:50 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Of course there's the money thing. Docs are capable of earning a good salary.

But I think it's more than that. They are usually well respected in their communities. They are intelligent and capable of sticking to the plan to get through all that schooling. They are achievers, not dreamers, and they have proved they can do anything they want to.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:53 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,547 times
They've got amazing hands. Especially surgeons.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:55 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
They've got amazing hands. Especially surgeons.
For their "bedside" manner.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:58 PM

3 posts, read 14,786 times
Default Being a doctor

Most people who become doctors are dedicated to their profession &
patients & have a calling to enter medicine. Money is a secondary
issue. Otherwise, you should choose another profession because
medicine is a difficult profession & it makes it hard on your social
life & family. It's a life time commitment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships