Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 AM

110 posts, read 58,528 times

Advertisements

If you have alot of heart burn while your pregnant your baby will have lots of hair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 AM

110 posts, read 58,528 times
If a black cat crosses your car put an draw an x with your finger it the corner of your wishield
don't use white lighters

Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 AM

27,251 posts, read 27,319,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
They're common in lots of families. But in Hispanic families, fuggetaboutit!

- Don't walk around barefoot or you'll catch a cold.

- Don't deny a pregnant woman food, it's bad luck (boy, did I work my mom for that one....lol).

- Put a wet string on the forehead for hiccups.

- Agua de Florida on a wet towel to the forehead will break a fever.

- Hang a ring off a string and hold it over a pregnant woman's belly. If it swings side to side, it's a girl. Round and round, it's a boy.

Whatcha got?

Whoever came up with this must have had a lot of time on their hands......

Old 02-16-2009, 10:45 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,159,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
... Don`t get into the shower or bath tub during a storm...you will get electricuted.
Hey! This is true. If the plumbing isn't grounded properly, lightening can follow the water lines. It happened in my ex wife's parents house -- blew a hole in the side of the shower. I saw the results.

I'm not sure if it was an "old wives' tale", but when I was a kid we weren't allowed to go barefoot outside during any month with an "r" in it. Come May Day my shoes were parked for the summer!

Find a penny that's laying heads up on the ground and it'll bring you good luck; if it's tails up, leave it alone. (I picked up any money I found.)

Hair shaved off will grow back thicker.

Cats can suck the breath out of a baby.

If you pull out a grey hair, 10 more will turn grey.

If a black cat crosses your path, you'll have bad luck. (My uncle tried to turn his car around after a black cat crossed in front of him; he rolled the car over in the ditch.) Hmmmmmm....

If you walk under a ladder you'll have bad luck. (Same uncle died from a ladder falling on him.) Hmmmmmmm....

Friday the 13th is unlucky. (Same uncle was buried on Friday the 13th.) Hmmmmmm....

Old 02-16-2009, 12:42 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,503,316 times
Some superstitions trip me out. One I'd never heard before, until I moved here, is how closing a pocket knife someone else has opened is bad luck.
Giving power to an inanimate object just seems silly to me.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:45 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,960,638 times
The one i always heard for hiccups was light a match and put it in water and then drink it. I think holding your breath is actually effective but they all are obviously intended to get your mind off the hiccups.

I always heard dont go outside with wet hair or you will catch a cold.

Also, i was always given ginger ale when i had a upset stomach. Not sure if that works or not.

G Man

Old 02-16-2009, 12:57 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,988,123 times
I did an article on mountain people of the Appalachians. Here are three that stand out.

Blue Jays roost in hell once every fortnight. The birds, not the baseball team.

If the sun is out while it's raining, that means the Devil is beating his wife.

Cats suck the souls out of babies.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:05 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,513,780 times
After reading a different thread, I have decided the following is an old wive's tale.

"It's not the size of the ship, it's the motion in the ocean." (Likely invented by some rather unhappy wives).

Old 02-16-2009, 02:08 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,503,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
After reading a different thread, I have decided the following is an old wive's tale.

"It's not the size of the ship, it's the motion in the ocean." (Likely invented by some rather unhappy wives).
A ship is only as good as its Captain.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:51 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,837,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Don`t go outside with a wet head...you will catch a cold.
Probably an OWT but this sure steams (or ices) up the windows in your car. An accident waiting to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships