Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:49 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

I've always been a pessimist, I'm always thinking the worst is going to happen and plan accordingly each and every day. I couldn't live with an optimist (there's that saying: the basis of optimism is sheer terror) and I don't enjoy their company, except in small doses. If I lived with one for too long, hearing that THINK POSITIVELY mantra once too often, they would sure to bring out my homicidal tendencies. I truly believe that two negatives make for a positive, which is why I'd rather live with another pessimist.

One thing you have to say about pessimists, we NEVER fall from the skies, EVER! There's only direction for us, and that's to go UPWARD! Over the years, I really can't think of any of my worst-case-scenarios coming to fruition, and you'd think, looking back at all the unnecessary worrying, that I would stop being pessimistic, but NO!

Let's see! Tomorrow, the central heating unit in my house may conk out, then what! My boss will call me tomorrow and tell me I no longer have a job, ten what! I'll go to the store tomorrow and my car will conk out on the way home, then what!

And when none of this happens, well, it's celebrations, celebrations, celebrations! Smiles, smiles, smiles! Laughs, laughs, laughs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 06:10 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,584,850 times
My first reaction would be optimist. One reason being, my in-laws are pessimists. They see the bad and negative in EVERYTHING. Even when something turns out good, there is hardly any celebrations, laughs or smiles. They are obviously not like you.

I think I tend to be more pessimistic. My wife is more of an optimistic person. Luckily neither of us go overboard on either end.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:39 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,056,523 times
I've seen too many positive-thinking optimists fall from the skies and land with a thud. Once erect, it's: it won't happen again, it will get better, it can ONLY get better! And up they go again!

I may be a different type of pessimist, but I have lots of celebrations. I have separate funds created for every imaginable emergency, and after a certain timeframe, no emergecy, I'll suddenly blow that money like a drunken sailor. Of course, I'll still worry, is this cruise ship going to capsize? And if it doesn't, well, there's another celebration!

Old 02-19-2009, 06:47 AM

647 posts, read 2,083,915 times
I would choose a Optimist. Between my wife and I, I am the optimist.....I always think something good is just about to happen to me. My wife is seems to think of the "bad" things that COULD happen in any given situations. Maybe we balance each other out? It does get old, though, trying to get her to see the positives. I"m the classic case of, "don't worry about it!"

Old 02-19-2009, 06:50 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
Optimist FTW!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:27 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,974,503 times
Optimist for sure. I am always optimistic and surround myself with people that are like minded. Being around pessimists just gets on my nerves and spoils my buzz on life. I feel you can achieve more and generally enjoy life more when being optimistic. Its all a frame of mind.

G Man

Old 02-19-2009, 07:40 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,608,903 times
Optimist. I can't stand to be around negative people.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:42 AM

462 posts, read 968,821 times
I am a true optimist! I cant be around pessimists too long... they bring me down!

I would much rather look on the bright side & hope for the best! I can usually find the good in any situation!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:59 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,815 times
Who said a Pessimist attitude automatically equals negative? I think a balanced pessimist sees both the good and the bad, and isn't afraid to focus on the bad. It's more of a realistic view. Good things happen, but recognizing that the bad is present and can happen helps prepare you for when it does. So when it does happen, you don't get suicidal. You are prepared.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:02 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,255,736 times
Definitely an optimist. I do not care for being with people who are constantly unhappy, seeing the dark side of life and being the eternal downer and trying to find the worst in people and situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships