Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:29 PM

11 posts, read 26,769 times

Advertisements

Do you normally meet comfortable meeting people online?

At clubs or bars?

The supermarket - Now thats a good one!

The beach - Easy in Hawaii or San Diego

Its funny how there seems to be no particular place where everyone seems to find a partner.

Any unusual stories?

Pulque
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 10:44 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
In my four years of dating, I've met very few people that are "dateworthy", anywhere OTHER than online.

Totally depends on your lifestyle as to what works best for you.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:56 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
In my four years of dating, I've met very few people that are "dateworthy", anywhere OTHER than online.

Totally depends on your lifestyle as to what works best for you.
We have a few friends who have surprised us by finding great companions online. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against it, I am just not in the position to be looking and EVERYTHING has changed since I was Dating seems so much more complicated these days...and then the reports about folks going missing after meeting someone online, or someone bilking them of their life savings, etc...the picture has been painted that most folks online are serial killers and pedophiles.

I am so happy to know you have met some nice guys!

Old 02-21-2009, 11:12 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
We have a few friends who have surprised us by finding great companions online. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against it, I am just not in the position to be looking and EVERYTHING has changed since I was Dating seems so much more complicated these days...and then the reports about folks going missing after meeting someone online, or someone bilking them of their life savings, etc...the picture has been painted that most folks online are serial killers and pedophiles.

I am so happy to know you have met some nice guys!
Oh my..serial killers and pedophiles? That must be in reference to MySpace - it's mostly a young set that hangs out there, and yes there have been many incidents involving that site. But that's not an "online dating" site, and I would never use it as such.

Online dating is just another way to meet people...that's all. It doesn't replace a social life (like some people here love to imply ), it simply is one more option.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:18 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,553,005 times
Online for me. It's more convenient. I can do most of my screening without having to get gussied up and leave the house on the chance I may meet someone I share the same interests with.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:20 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh my..serial killers and pedophiles? That must be in reference to MySpace - it's mostly a young set that hangs out there, and yes there has been many incidents involving that site. But that's not an "online dating" site, and I would never use it as such.

Online dating is just another way to meet people...that's all. It doesn't replace a social life (like some people here love to imply ), it simply is one more option.
I guess if I were single I would try it...why not? A friend married a guy she met on a dating site and they are very happy

Old 02-22-2009, 01:20 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESLGlobalParty View Post
Its funny how there seems to be no particular place where everyone seems to find a partner.
If there were, everyone would be there. But we're all different, which is why what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. Some people have a lot of success at bars or clubs. Others don't. But that's because some people know what to do in those environments while others don't. That's why I get annoyed with people who make broad statements like "you'll never meet anyone online". It all depends on the type of person you are, where you're most comfortable, and where your best qualities can come through. For a lot of people, that's online because they're better at expressing themselves and revealing the kind of information about themselves that they'd never get a chance to share in a bar or at a party. But others are terrible at writing about themselves so they don't do well online. I think all of the traditional meeting places should at least be attempted before being ruled out. And if you're someone who still doesn't find what you're looking for, then it's time to try less conventional places.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:59 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,553,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESLGlobalParty View Post
Seems they're all at the beach walking under the moonlight.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:16 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,870,563 times
Anywhere.

Bar and clubs work best.

If I meet a woman anywhere outside of the above location it is usually a very quick encounter. Chat a little then I give her my myspace profile.

AVOID online dating. The vast majority of people on there have something to hide. Either they are complete losers, psychopaths, have kids, are married, fat or some other negative trait they don't want to reveal.

AVOID dating people from work. Don't mix personal and business. Unprofessional and can blow up in so many ways in your face.

Quote:
It isn't exactly rocket science. The bottom line is that the person needs to find 1 person of the opposite sex who is available. That can be anywhere! Some places attract more available people compared to other places. I would say most people going to a bar or club are going there to meet other people who are available. Your local church, not so much.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:57 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,432,399 times
Wherever, doesn't matter, have in many places. Supermarkets are a no go though, too awkward, but maybe never say never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships