Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:09 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, yes. My Uncle died of liver cirhossis (sp) and my other one (but they were both single and solitary drinkers who never had kids and minded their own business and lived on a farm). So it is in my history. My first cousin has a history of bipolar and alcoholism. Nonetheless, I still maintain that alcoholics are far less damaging than drug addicts, although I am welcome to debate.
I have no desire to debate but you don't know alcoholism if you think like that

I see you never lived with your relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 08:11 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Even if they say they are going to quit? I believe in giving people chances (maybe), but I am just curious how others feel.
Never in a million years. Ever. Period.

Drug users are not the sort of people that I care to associate with. Yes, people make mistakes and people change but I am not willing to risk MY future/happiness/life/tranquility, etc. Not when there are loads of nice un-druggie men out there.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-22-2009, 08:13 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
My answer is no. Not even recreationally. Not even once a year. NO. Not even a habitual drinker.

If you have any need or habit of having to 'alter your mind' for any reason, go do your own thing, thanks so much.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:29 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Anything other than pot, NEVER. Besides pot is a herb. Same goes for an alcoholic - Never. A drinker yes, as I love my tipple just like everyone else but not one that depends on alcohol to see him through.
Weed is from the earth.

I don't do drugs of any kind, so I wouldn't want to be with someone who did. But I really don't have a problem with herb. I've never known anyone who smokes pot to be aggressive, abandon their families, steal, kill or maim for it. But, like anything else in excess, it has it's negatives.

I know a guy who smokes it every hour or two and he never leaves the house unless it's absolutely necessary (work, walking the dog, groceries). He's a super great guy and we started out with an attraction, but I immediately lost interest once I saw how much of a pot head he was.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:56 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
What about if they just drank too much? For some reason I think that is way more palatable than a drug user. They aren't going to steal from you, cheat you, etc.
Really? Why wouldn't they do those things? And go for it as long as you don't have any or plan to have any minor children in the home.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:36 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I don't have a problem with people who drink or smoke pot occasionally, if they are an otherwise upstanding person (can keep a job, keeps out of trouble, etc.). I don't think one is any worse than the other.

Crack, meth and heroin scare the bejeezus out of me.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:37 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Weed is from the earth.

I don't do drugs of any kind, so I wouldn't want to be with someone who did. But I really don't have a problem with herb. I've never known anyone who smokes pot to be aggressive, abandon their families, steal, kill or maim for it. But, like anything else in excess, it has it's negatives.

I know a guy who smokes it every hour or two and he never leaves the house unless it's absolutely necessary (work, walking the dog, groceries). He's a super great guy and we started out with an attraction, but I immediately lost interest once I saw how much of a pot head he was.

I know a freeze dried hippy - no spring chicken who starts his morning with a light up, then drives to his office. The man owns an aero space company that manufactures parts for all the big names from Boeing to NASA to Northrop Grumman. I smoke it in the evenings to relax. Actually cocaine also starts off as a plant as does heroin.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:25 AM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Nonetheless, I still maintain that alcoholics are far less damaging than drug addicts, although I am welcome to debate.
Not looking for a debate, but you clearly don't have any experience here. I gave you a perfect example of why your perception is inaccurate. Ignore it if you wish, but I hope you never find yourself faced with what many others have, and do, every day of their life. It's hell.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:27 AM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My answer is no. Not even recreationally. Not even once a year. NO. Not even a habitual drinker.

If you have any need or habit of having to 'alter your mind' for any reason, go do your own thing, thanks so much.
You expressed my thoughts perfectly.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:29 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
And especially no to the weed/narcotic users...just b/c you don't think something shouldn't be illegal doesn't make it legal. And I wouldn't date or marry anyone who makes it a habit to break the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships