Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:06 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,096 times

Advertisements

In your opinions, are there ever any instances where it's appropriate to engage in texting/email/IM while spending time with your SO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 01:09 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
In your opinions, are there ever any instances where it's appropriate to engage in texting/email/IM while spending time with your SO?
Well, it's the equivalent of making a telephone call. If it wouldn't be a good time to make a phone call, then it sure as heck wouldn't be a good time to send a text message.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:09 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Never unless it has to do with work. I rarely even answer my cell phone if/when Im out with my wife, especially if we're out to dinner. If its important, they will leave a message.

I especially think it would be rude if youre out on a date and either party decides to text message someone.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:12 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,170 times
I would think only if you both are conducting similar business, otherwise there may be a feeling of neglect by one of the other..oh and also some ppl get carried away with this, talk it over with your SO..

Old 02-22-2009, 01:23 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,414,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, it's the equivalent of making a telephone call. If it wouldn't be a good time to make a phone call, then it sure as heck wouldn't be a good time to send a text message.
I agree.. of course it depends on the situation.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:43 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
I think it does depend on what's going on at the time.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:36 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
My wife and I spend a good share of our time together while chatting online with others. My desk is on one wall in my office; hers is on the opposite wall. Sometimes she'll ask me if I want to read something on her screen; sometimes I'll read something to her; and sometimes we'll both sit at one computer to Google a subject. Mostly we sit back-to-back doing our own things.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:15 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I think it does depend on what's going on at the time.
If you're out on a date then the only reason you should text/message someone is if you get an urgent emergency message from home. Other than that, there is no reason to do so and is considered rude.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:25 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
If you're out on a date then the only reason you should text/message someone is if you get an urgent emergency message from home. Other than that, there is no reason to do so and is considered rude.
I agree, I guess I should have said that as well. However, some other pressing matters may arise that may not seem important to some. It really does depend on several factors, including the people involved.

I personally leave my phone on vibrate, always. Depending on my day, I may tell a date I'm expecting a call/text ahead of time, other times I'll wait till we're done or excuse myself to the rest room at an appropriate time to check if it. But texting every 15 minutes, having conversations while on a date. No bueno.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:42 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
If it's an emergency.
There are only certain people or text messages I will respond to when I am out with my gf.
We kind of have this rule that we won't make calls when we're together nor will we answer calls unless they're true emergencies.
I always check my phone to see if I have a text or two when I go to the bathroom or if she goes to the bathroom.
It's like a tit for tat. If she checks one, I get to check one since she broke the rule. I've gotten better about it.
I just find it so funny that we ended up having the same phone.
(we were broken up for a while and didn't see each other and over that time we each got a new phone. The only difference is the color of the phones)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships