Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,049,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I'd say it's a joke for the sociopath as I really don't think there's a cure for them. Guilt is a great motivator for reform and atonement in the case of addicts, where sociopaths don't have that burden.
Ah thank you. As in "it's the other person's fault for the way I am."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 08:33 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,077,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, thank you for that. But I'd like to point out a big problem. According to the very scant statistical record on AA, the chances of recovering from Alcoholism with the help of AA is the same as recovering from alcoholism without its help. So rather than really assess its own dismal success rate and perhaps wonder if it's not a very good approach, AA instead blames the people who stop attending the meetings.
AA doesn't blame anything on anything. Their statistics used to be incredibly high. You were actually yelled at and told to sit down, shut up and listen years ago. You had to want it! Nowadays you're forced to be there. Nowadays we kiss you on your forhead and pat you on the back, and tell you "there there, it'll be alright" Many older AA's have to weed through 100's of half hearted people to find one whose serous about quiting. And our numbers dropped off the face of the earth...and "we" could fix those numbers very quickly, except we try to give EVERYBODY a chance worrying about PEOPLE instead of NUMBERS.

We had a program that works for FREE or a dollar if you so choose. Our numbers greatly declined when some people said "hey, we could make 10,000, 20,000 why even thirty thousand in 28 days doing what these people do for freeeeeeeee! But then again THOSE SAME PEOPLE used to write alcoholics off 100% as hopeless before us.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
AA doesn't blame anything on anything. Their statistics used to be incredibly high. You were actually yelled at and told to sit down, shut up and listen years ago. You had to want it! Nowadays you're forced to be there. Nowadays we kiss you on your forhead and pat you on the back, and tell you "there there, it'll be alright" Many older AA's have to weed through 100's of half hearted people to find one whose serous about quiting. And our numbers dropped off the face of the earth...and "we" could fix those numbers very quickly, except we try to give EVERYBODY a chance worrying about PEOPLE instead of NUMBERS.

We had a program that works for FREE or a dollar if you so choose. Our numbers greatly declined when some people said "hey, we could make 10,000, 20,000 why even thirty thousand in 28 days doing what these people do for freeeeeeeee! But then again THOSE SAME PEOPLE used to write alcoholics off 100% as hopeless before us.
What statistics? There are none.

The Effectiveness of the Twelve-Step Treatment

Again, if alcohol is a so-called disease, show me a disease that is treated by bellowing at the patient.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 AM

That's because AA doesn't promote anything, nor defend irtself from anything or want to answer questions...you have an interest in how AA works? Go to meetings, sit down, and **** and listen...he he he he

Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 AM

And don't think you're going to find out anything the first day...we only reveal the inner secrets on the 91st day in a row to outsiders! roflmao

Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
That's because AA doesn't promote anything, nor defend irtself from anything or want to answer questions...you have an interest in how AA works? Go to meetings, sit down, and **** and listen...he he he he
Yep. I think the Branch Davidians worked in a similar fashion.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:49 AM

Yup...if you truly want to investigate the secret inner workings of our unholy rites I'll break the rules a little and give you a password, like Sir Richard Francis Burton entering the secret world of Mecca...

Here's what you do..

Find an AA meeting, sneakily introduce yourself, fake being nice and offer to make coffee everytime...within 90 days they'll trust you enough to let you in on the secret! Wink!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 AM

I just don't think you're stubborn enough though. Nah you probably couldn't pull it off even if you gave it your all, so don't even try you'll fail!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I just don't think you're stubborn enough though. Nah you probably couldn't pull it off even if you gave it your all, so don't even try you'll fail!
You're right. I'd go about 15 minutes and then say, "Oh, BS. Would you people shut up already and just deal with it?" Then my cover would be blown, and the AA fanatics would fall on me and tear me to shreds.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:59 AM

Yep don't bother. We'd have you at the airport all bald and robed and getting punched by people trying to sell our flowers in a week tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships