Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:17 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times

Advertisements

Robert, I'm having trouble believing that this is a serious thread, but I'll bite. I'm a cat person all the way. I can tolerate dogs, but I truly love cats. Anyone I'd get into a relationship with would have to accept me, faults, cats and all! Neither one of my cats has ever been around dogs, so that would be interesting!

Most of the relationships I've had were with men who lived in apartments, and therefore, they had no pets at all. I can't say whether I've been attracted more to "dog people" than "cat people".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 11:08 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Well I am definitely an animal lover, but......with that being said, I will never allow a cat to live in my house. I dont particularly like cats. Id have snakes, scorpions, salt water fish, ant farms, birds, tarantulas, frogs, turtles or guinea pigs before Id have a cat. I just dont like cats.

There is nothing better than having a molosser breed dog though - English Bulldog, Bullmastiff, Dogue de Bordeaux.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:16 AM

318 posts, read 820,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm a "dog person" to the bone, even reading up on breeds and knowing the statistics about them. Australian Shepherds and Border Collies are at the top of my list and what I have owned. Cats are ok...if they have a dog's personality. Not long ago, I lived in an area where a cat, who HAD an owner, would wait for me to come home from work, follow me, and then hang out in my living room and purr. He didn't want food. He was well fed.

Ok, so here it is. I am a "dog person" and have always gotten along better with women who are "cat people." I've found I don't really like some women who are "dog people," especially those who collect German Shepherds or other big dogs. And I thought the "dog people" went with "dog people" and "cat people" went with "cat people." I'm perplexed.
LOL, I was going to ask this question the other day so glad you asked. I find myself in a similar position as you as I am a BIG DOG collector and dog person and act like it but I look for the opposite qualities in others. I like cat people and their nonchalance for some reason. I myself am quite perplexed as well.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:18 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
My SO both think of ourselves as dog people...who've been converted into cat owners.

I guess you could say we swing both ways.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:40 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Robert, I'm having trouble believing that this is a serious thread, but I'll bite.
It IS a serious thread. Sandy, you know that, while we can't a finger on it, those who love dogs and those who love cats seem to have subtle differences. I don't know why. And cats who have dog traits push to cat owner into an "annexed" dog owner. And dogs who are timid, shake and hide push the dog owner into an "annexed" cat owner. On my way to work after getting off the train this morning, a Schnauzer being walked on a leash came right up to me, after I crouched down and it seemed to like being pet.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 02-25-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 12:10 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No. However I think people who talk to and about their pets as if they were surrogate children with human personalities are really unhinged and need therapy. They should be avoided at all costs.
I'm passing this on to my Mother. She will have the Birmingham branch of Animal Nutz, picketing and harassing you by the weekend. Watch out, buster!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:22 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
I'm a dog lover and a cat tolerater. (My cat is a very cool dude.)

I had a little crush on a gal years ago, shortly after my late wife died.

She said I'd have to quit smoking. I did.

She said I'd have to get a new mattress before she came to visit, because she didn't want to sleep in the same bed that I'd shared with my late wife. I said okay. (I had no intention of doing so, but I could pretend.)

She said I'd have to become a born again Christian. I said I might go with her to church.

She said I'd have to get rid of my dog.

I told her she could find someone else.

She said maybe she could put up with my dog. I said I didn't think my dog could put up with her.

WHEW!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:24 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'm a dog lover and a cat tolerater. (My cat is a very cool dude.)

I had a little crush on a gal years ago, shortly after my late wife died.

She said I'd have to quit smoking. I did.

She said I'd have to get a new mattress before she came to visit, because she didn't want to sleep in the same bed that I'd shared with my late wife. I said okay. (I had no intention of doing so, but I could pretend.)

She said I'd have to become a born again Christian. I said I might go with her to church.

She said I'd have to get rid of my dog.

I told her she could find someone else.

WHEW!
Way to go. The only way to have handled it!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:51 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
I just think people that don't like pets are not my kind of people I truly never divided it down to type of pets That is interesting to ponder though

Old 02-25-2009, 07:33 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
I generally like animals, but I greatly prefer cats. I tend to like guys who like cats also, but I get along fine with "dog people" too. Cat people tend to be more complex and interesting, and men who like cats tend to get along better with women also (hmmm...).

However, I don't like dogs indoors (they smell funny even when clean & are usually too rambunctious), and I don't like dogs that jump on you & slobber. This could be an issue if I ended up with someone who likes their dog inside the home or who has some annoying, hyper dog.

On the other hand, I am okay with an indoor only cat, as cats are cleaner than dogs & don't have that dog odor. I am okay with my cat sleeping at the foot of my bed too. I know some people that wouldn't like this at all (usually the complaint is the cat hair), and that might raise an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships