Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:47 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times

Advertisements

I belong to another message board and came across a posting from a former abuse victim.

Long story short, she was with a man who turned abusive and stalked her, assaulted her and threatened her life. She obtained a restraining order on him, he violated it and she went into hiding - she made references to a name change. She just found out that the man is the president of the homeowner's association where her friend lives and is wondering if she should report him to the HOA. Her friend wants to, but she is afraid of retalliation, knowing what he is capable of.

I really don't know how to answer that. But I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this. Personally, I don't think he should be in a position where trust is pretty much inherent. I know he has to be voted in, but he clearly would not have been if they knew about the RO. I wouldn't want someone like that heading my community. What do you think? How would you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 08:50 AM

647 posts, read 2,083,480 times
Is this lady in any position where she can move? I know it's often difficult to just uproot and go, but I wonder what would happen if she had this man reported to the HOA, then moved.

Sounds like a tough spot to be in.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:56 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
If he was charged and/or convicted then it is a matter of public record and you can tell anyone you please.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:59 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
I helped a former coworker when I was at Citibank. She was seeing this guy and he turned out to be a weirdo. So he wouldn't stop calling her and swinging by her apartment. She told me this and I told her to pretend she was getting back with her husband (me).
I used to wait for her, go our with her to lunch and other places. One day the guy showed up and I confronted him. He inmediately backed off when he saw me and I told him in a NY way to get away from her or else. He stopped stalking her and she ended going out with me on a real date and I scored a homerun the same night. It was short lived but she was "awesome", she made me wish I was really her husband for a moment.

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
If he was charged and/or convicted then it is a matter of public record and you can tell anyone you please.
Excellent point.

Her friend just bought the house recently. She, apparently, didn't realize he lived there or was president of the HOA because they had never met. So, he doesn't know who she is, but she knows who he is. She's safe so far, but if it comes out that she reported him there's no telling what he might do. Based on what I read on the thread, she doesn't want to move but she wants him gone.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
She never pursued a case against him, but she was granted the restraining order based on what he did and witness testimony. So, the RO is available for public perusal. But how to bring that to the HOA's attention without identifying oneself? Seems like a very sticky situation.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
I would send the HOA a copy of the RO. She can mail it and they'll never know where it came from.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
He wasn't charged with assault? Isn't kind of hard to get a restraining order without something like that?

I guess the other thing is if he isn't bothering anybody now, and the issue was between someone who doesn't live there, why would you want to make a case out of it in the first place?

He may not be the nicest guy on the planet, but who has the right to paint a scarlet letter on his shirt?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
If there is a restraining order against him she may want to let the HOA's Directors and Officers insurance carrier know...he will probably lose his coverage which means he will not be able to sit on the board and will have a heck of a time obtaining D & O insurance again.

Just a thought. If it were me, I would leave it alone and try to keep my nose clean and hopefully nothing will provoke him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I belong to another message board and came across a posting from a former abuse victim.

Long story short, she was with a man who turned abusive and stalked her, assaulted her and threatened her life. She obtained a restraining order on him, he violated it and she went into hiding - she made references to a name change. She just found out that the man is the president of the homeowner's association where her friend lives and is wondering if she should report him to the HOA. Her friend wants to, but she is afraid of retalliation, knowing what he is capable of.

I really don't know how to answer that. But I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this. Personally, I don't think he should be in a position where trust is pretty much inherent. I know he has to be voted in, but he clearly would not have been if they knew about the RO. I wouldn't want someone like that heading my community. What do you think? How would you handle it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships