U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:05 PM

3,490 posts, read 7,668,553 times

Advertisements

We watched an episode of Millionaire Matchmaker. One of the milionaires was a 41 year old single Mother with a young baby. She came across as very nice, self made and she also happened to be absolutely stunningly good looking.
She hadn't been on a date in 3 years and was having trouble with ageist men wanting to date women 10+ years younger than themselves.

The other millionaire was 45 and looking to date someone in their late twenties, early thirties. One of the girls he picked for a mini date literally looked like she could be his daughter.

The Matchmaker ended up fixing them up with each other, but the female millionaire was not allowed to tell him her age. I just thought how sad this was. The woman was accomplished, movie star good looking and couldn't get a date. What is wrong with this picture? It can't be looks because she was far better looking then most of the 20 somethings. So I guess it's about kids? It's ok for a guy to get to 45 and suddenly decide he wants kids, but a woman at 41 is considered over the hill?

Has anyone experienced this IRL? I thought it was absolutely nuts and just wondered if anyone else saw it/ had an opinion on the subject?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 09:19 PM

5,019 posts, read 13,197,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post

Has anyone experienced this IRL? I thought it was absolutely nuts and just wondered if anyone else saw it/ had an opinion on the subject?
To be honest, when I see ageism IRL it is generally "older dudes" (men currently late 40s to late 60s).

Exhibit A: friend in his late 50s (57), who is wellknown for pursuing women in their 30's and 40s, was dating a women who is well-known in our (small) town. She is attractive/active/athletic/fit/smart/financially secure yada yada yada.... One day we have a conversation about her and I remark (quite honestly and in a postive, upbeat way) : "Wow, yeah. That is so great for a woman in her fifties blah blah blah....."

Dead silence on the other end of the phone.

Friend: "She's not 50....."

Me (knowing better since I have friends who work with her?) "Uhhhh...."{foot in mouth}.

Pretty much the end of that.

On the other hand, I know plenty of guys who are mid twenties through early 40s who will date women 30's-50's without batting an eyelash.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:24 PM

42,835 posts, read 82,112,256 times
I'm not sure. A couple of years ago I had some candidates 5 to 10 years younger. If I ever decide to stick my head out of my hole I'll find out. However, I'm not into younger men (I wasn't even into my age when I was younger), so I don't think age will be a problem.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:25 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,052,115 times
Quote:
On the other hand, I know plenty of guys who are mid twenties through early 40s who will date women 30's-50's without batting an eyelash.
Those guys saying "Quantity over quality."

Quote:
A couple of years ago I had some candidates 5 to 10 years younger.
Candidates? Were they interviewing for a job or something?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Those guys saying "Quantity over quality
LOL. No. Not in our small town. We are in the midwest. If you "date around" you get a rep in like 5 seconds.

plaidmom<----happy happy happy to be out of the dating pool!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:16 PM

5,273 posts, read 13,207,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
We watched an episode of Millionaire Matchmaker. One of the milionaires was a 41 year old single Mother with a young baby. She came across as very nice, self made and she also happened to be absolutely stunningly good looking.
She hadn't been on a date in 3 years and was having trouble with ageist men wanting to date women 10+ years younger than themselves.

The other millionaire was 45 and looking to date someone in their late twenties, early thirties. One of the girls he picked for a mini date literally looked like she could be his daughter.

The Matchmaker ended up fixing them up with each other, but the female millionaire was not allowed to tell him her age. I just thought how sad this was. The woman was accomplished, movie star good looking and couldn't get a date. What is wrong with this picture? It can't be looks because she was far better looking then most of the 20 somethings. So I guess it's about kids? It's ok for a guy to get to 45 and suddenly decide he wants kids, but a woman at 41 is considered over the hill?

Do you really believe that these shows are completely on the up & up? If so, I have a friend in Hollywood (works on TV sets) and I've got some bad news for you...

Old 03-08-2009, 10:23 PM

21,274 posts, read 5,847,102 times
It's not so much age as it is I don't want to get involved with some one else's kids. Mine are grown and on their own so I want to be able to do as I see fit w/o having to worry about babysitters, etc. I may be selfish but it beats hurting someone who can't do things because the kids are sick, etc.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Do you really believe that these shows are completely on the up & up? If so, I have a friend in Hollywood (works on TV sets) and I've got some bad news for you...

Funny you mention that.
A friend told me about the show and I watched a few episodes.

What I really want to do is send the "Millionaire Matchmaker" lady on "What Not to Wear".

Because, she could use some help.

Just sayin.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:57 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,987,245 times
I saw this show for the first time last night, and was shocked by the 48 year old man who only wanted women in the 25-28 age range - cause he wants to start a family, and with younger women, its easier that way. What a crock.

It seems to me (and I guess I am stereotyping a bit) that the really good looking young girls who actually want to date a not so attractive man who is 48 are probably going along with the dating thing because he is rich.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:48 AM

259 posts, read 765,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I saw this show for the first time last night, and was shocked by the 48 year old man who only wanted women in the 25-28 age range - cause he wants to start a family, and with younger women, its easier that way. What a crock.

It seems to me (and I guess I am stereotyping a bit) that the really good looking young girls who actually want to date a not so attractive man who is 48 are probably going along with the dating thing because he is rich.
Their using them for his money, he's using them for their looks. Unfortunately some people call that a wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships