Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have a very good friend. She's kind and thoughtful and all those other things. Her husband, on the other hand, is a self-absorbed jerk. I mean, no kidding. He has basically told her, over the life of their marriage, that she cannot fend for herself, etc. etc. My wife told her years ago to divorce him and split their considerable marital assets, but she's always been too terrified of making a living on her own, and will not go back to school, get her real estate license, or anything else.

For awhile, things have evidently been tolerable in their marriage. But with the graduation coming up of their only daughter, he's suddenly picking fights with her all the time, usually over petty, trivial stuff. I doubt that he's actually fooling around on her, but one still wonders.

So, given that any number of you are now divorced, what are the signs when a S/O is about to fly the coop?

Last edited by cpg35223; 04-13-2009 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Those are all good signs. Some men wait until the magic age of their children turning 18 to make the break. Often the other has been waiting in the wings, and it sounds like he's convinced himself and the wife that it's really all her fault the marriage didn't work.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Those are all good signs. Some men wait until the magic age of their children turning 18 to make the break. Often the other has been waiting in the wings, and it sounds like he's convinced himself and the wife that it's really all her fault the marriage didn't work.
That's what I've been telling my wife. He's picking fights with the poor woman as a way to validate a decision she's already made.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
For awhile, things have evidently been tolerable in their marriage. But with the graduation coming up of their only daughter, he's suddenly picking fights with her all the time, usually over petty, trivial stuff. I doubt that he's actually fooling around on her, but one still wonders.
It sounds like he may be trying to force her to file.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:11 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
She needs to start planning for the rest of her life w/o him.

What's better living a life worth living or waking up every day expecting a fight?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
It sounds like he may be trying to force her to file.
Well, this guy isn't the sharpest tool in the drawer, but he has made a lot of money in pharmaceutical sales. I'm thinking that this guy would be insane to get divorced, because she would absolutely take him to the cleaners. I mean, Cynthia (the woman) is really a sweet and kind person. But I suspect if she were ever mad at me, I think I would just drive until I ran out of gas and then start hitchhiking.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:20 AM

314 posts, read 719,089 times
Let's hope she has copies of all the important joint papers; taxes, bank statement, retirement info etc. These papers have a way of disappearing during divorce. But it does sound like the guy is setting the groundwork to split-let's hope she sees he is a jerk and doesn't believe all the trash he has been telling her...

Old 04-13-2009, 08:22 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, this guy isn't the sharpest tool in the drawer, but he has made a lot of money in pharmaceutical sales. I'm thinking that this guy would be insane to get divorced, because she would absolutely take him to the cleaners. I mean, Cynthia (the woman) is really a sweet and kind person. But I suspect if she were ever mad at me, I think I would just drive until I ran out of gas and then start hitchhiking.
Well, making one's wife's life impossibly difficult could drive her to commit suicide, which in this guy's case, would be a sweet alternative to divorce.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Well, making one's wife's life impossibly difficult could drive her to commit suicide, which in this guy's case, would be a sweet alternative to divorce.
I can't imagine her doing that either. I just hope she divorces the creep.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:37 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,330,045 times
One of those signs is the you're the last one to know. Ask Hulk Hogan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships