Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:43 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puru View Post
I think the guy has it harder. Though, to be fair, I do know a man who is 5'6" and who is engaged to a woman who is 6'0"! I guess life is just funny that way.
For what it's worth, I'm 5'10" and my BF is about 5'7". I don't really consider it short. I consider myself tall, but consider my BF average. I'm taller than most people in my day to day life, and have been since about age 11.

Overall, I'd say that whoever's around the more judgmental crowd has it harder.

Most people wouldn't even notice or identify an extra thirty pounds (extra 80 lbs, sure) on somebody, but they do notice a height discrepancy of a couple of inches right away, esp. if it's the female who's the taller.

Some people, it's a big deal to, others, not so much. If you're a guy a few inches below average height, or a woman a few dozen pounds above average weight, and it's a big deal to somebody, then he or she's pretty obviously not the one for you, and odds are, you'll come across somebody who is if you quit wasting time around the ones who just aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 02:50 AM

550 posts, read 1,214,831 times
I'm 6'3(i think...1,92 meter should be something like that), and being tall doesn't have any advantages at all, I just find too many beautiful women too short for me... besides bending while speaking with all the short people I'm surrounded with has rendered me a bad posture, which is really hard to get rid off...

I'd take off a couple of inches any day...

Old 04-01-2009, 02:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
5'7 is average height for a female?

What land of giants do u live in lol

Its not giganticly tall for a women but it is on the tall side
Lol, in the Netherlands the average height for a female is 5'9", but for the men about 6'1".

Old 04-01-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Honestly.... I have no clue why so many women refuse to date short dudes. Is it because they feel less protected when around them??? And if so, protected from what???? I'm a pretty tall guy, but I know for a fact that there are guys a foot shorter than me that are 10 times tougher than I am. I've played ice hockey all throughout high school, college and still today....and the short guys are usually the toughest.
Nature, I would assume...it's a bit more than a cultural thing, and it's pretty hard to go against something that is hard-wired into you.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:13 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Who do you think has is more difficult in the dating world? A guy who is 5'6 and physically fit or a girl who is 30+ lbs overweight?
It depends. In general, the guy.
Also, remember, women can get dates easier than guys their problem is more in that they might not like the quality of those dates.

5'6 isn't that short for a guy in say...the hispanic community...so if you like latinas you are probably less likely to have women with height issues in that group.

30 lbs overweight? Well if she is a tall bigger gal she might carry that pretty well where a 5'2 petite gal might look awful.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:13 AM

260 posts, read 548,905 times
it's not a fair question imo. the girl can always get in shape & lose the 30lbs if she decides to. i am a 5'6" male myself and heightism is rampant toady in the US-especially when it comes to the dating scene.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
it's not a fair question imo. the girl can always get in shape & lose the 30lbs if she decides to. i am a 5'6" male myself and heightism is rampant toady in the US-especially when it comes to the dating scene.
Soon they might have body lengthening surgery!

You can have your legs surgically lengthened, actually, but if you're of normal proportion you'll look like you're wearing stilts!

Old 08-27-2009, 02:00 PM

95 posts, read 184,480 times
I would say it depends on the Guy or girl in question. I am 5'9' and have never had a problem dating because of my height. My friend is around 5'6' and always has hot women at his side. He would also be considered good looking, aside from the height. Mark Wahlberg, Matt Damon, Tom Cruise, Deniro, al Pacino are all pretty short and women love them. I think height often gives women an excuse for why they dont want to date you. Its easier saying its height than that your ugly and boring. most good looking guys can get dates as long as there not midgets.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:32 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Whatever happened to the often stated line that women are not as discriminating about physical attributes as men are? From the consensus here it seems that women are far pickier when it comes to appearance.
I ALWAYS thought women were pickier on looks than men. Men joke around about it and make bad remarks more to friends, and even in public. But when it comes down to it, women are WAY pickier.

And it's not just looks, I know girls won't date a guy if he doesn't dress well, or if he's not her "type". I was rejected by a girl and she told me it was because I didn't smoke weed.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:14 PM

95 posts, read 184,480 times
Exactly, most women use excuses for why they wont go out with you, its easier to say, "I date taller Men", or "Your not my type", or "you dont smoke weed", than to say i find you unattractive and would never sleep with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships