Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:22 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

What man pays for the wedding? Let her go. It sounds to me that she's had doubts about you for a while, but liked that you were willing to pay for everything. You're lucky not to be marrying her. You need a woman that is more your equal in all ways, including matching levels of love and income.

If you can't get your wedding deposit money back, see if you can use the deposits to throw a party for you and your friends. Of course, your ex should not be invited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 07:32 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What man pays for the wedding? Let her go. It sounds to me that she's had doubts about you for a while, but liked that you were willing to pay for everything. You're lucky not to be marrying her. You need a woman that is more your equal in all ways, including matching levels of love and income.

If you can't get your wedding deposit money back, see if you can use the deposits to throw a party for you and your friends. Of course, your ex should not be invited.
Either that or pay off all his debts that I'm guessing accrued during this "relationship." Ask for the ring back, and sell it. Throw away all the photos.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I'm with all the others. Let her go. You wouldn't enjoy being with someone who doesn't want to be with you, and that's what you'd have if she stayed. She's probably had a tough time deciding, but now that she's made her choice, let her go peacefully.

Your house, if you can afford it, could be one of the best investments you'll ever make. My son has never married, and he just purchased and moved into his second house last week -- this time a big one on the golf course. The first one, believe it or not, he bought so his dog could have a big yard. But it turned out to be a great investment for him. Despite the recent drop in home values, houses have historically been excellent investments for those who live in them for several years.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:43 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Gosh I am so sorry - that's is a rough hand she just dealt you. I agree with the rest...don't try to get her to stay - let her go. If it turns out she just needs time, then she'll have that, and if she decides to come back, it will be her decision, not you pushing her.

The money situation IS rather unusual though. Why was she not contributing to the costs? Lesson learned there, for sure.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:43 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jone173 View Post
I don't know how to live my life without her.
There is your homework, right there ^
A partner is someone who augments the life you have that you live for yourself

Not someone who is your life

This is a wake-up call for you to discover the joy and integrity of your own being. Best wishes.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:02 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Let her go. You've got a lot going for you especially if you are buying a home on your own. If you bought everything and she throws you down the drain she does not give a crap about you. She is treating you like garbage, don't let her do that. There is plenty of others girls out there and there is even more out there who are looking for a guy who has his act together, such as yourself.

Quote:
Look at it from a bright side, you have a new house and you can bring home anybody you want.
Seriously, this guy has a lot going for him.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:22 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Look at it from a bright side, you have a new house and you can bring home anybody you want.
Exactly...

Guy asked girl to marry him...she said no....he went fishing and lived happily ever after.

Seriously, I would say,

"Are you serious? O.k. then, have your stuff out before this weekend cause I'm having some friends over."

Old 03-30-2009, 10:48 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
I imagine this is a most difficult situation for you to be in.

Emotionally right now I do not think you would make the right decision.

I would say to try and think some down the line. She is telling you now that she has changed and does not want to be married to you.

Now, down the line, you guys are married with children and she tells you the same thing.

A much different outcome. Divorce, regret, pain.... fighting, lawyers, more hurt and pain....

I was engaged to my husband for four years. He kept asking when we were going to get married. The day of our wedding it did not feel right.

We are going through a horrid time right now with custody, divorce, all of that.

There was a reason we were engaged for so long and I did not ever want to go ahead and get married.

Aside from my children, I wish I would have listened to what my heart and mind were telling me back then. This is seventeen years later.

I wish you all the best and hope everything works out for you as it was meant to be...

Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jone173 View Post
I have been dating my fiance for 6 years. We were set to be married in June. I closed on a house last weekend and we just finished moving in. Last night, out of the blue, she simply said that she doesn't want to be with me anymore. She won't give me a reason and simply says that she has changed as a person and has different priorities in life. I just don't understand. I havn't noticed any changes, I really never saw this coming. I have so much money tied up in the house and the wedding. She hasn't spent a dime. I have gambeled everything I have on this relationship. She kept telling me that I am a great person and that I have so much going for me. Ideally I would like to keep her in my life. Should I try and win her back or just let her go. I want to be with her, I don't know how to live my life without her. I am at as loss as of what to go...
Yeah, yeah.... the old "I love you, but I am not in love with you" speech. I've heard this story a thousand times.

You woudn't happen to have a three-year old running around would you? Just a guess.

Call a lawyer. Now.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-30-2009, 11:38 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
That's why I never married (aside from the cost ,the lack of social network to make the ceremony truly enjoyable, and the frightening solemnity of the vows ).
And I was right! O how I was right!
I'm now in the throngs of leaving my long time partner, and it would have been much more painful and costly if we had been married.
Maybe we can even stay good friends because we didn't have our garbage hurled at it other in the public sphere through judicial proceedings (and we kept assets and bank accounts separate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships