Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is Responsible for the Finances in your Household?
She does! 15 39.47%
He does! 2 5.26%
Separate checkbooks 15 39.47%
I'm single 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:33 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times

Advertisements

From a relationship standpoint what are your thoughts on splitting up the finances? For the past 10 years my wife and I have combined our paychecks and paid from one checking account. We've been talking and the idea came up that we get separate accounts and pay bills from each account. I've heard of other couples who do this but not sure how it affects the relationship. Are there positive or negatives to this idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 11:44 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,175,854 times
Hubby and I have a joint checking account which we use to pay our mortgage, utilities, etc. type expenses and we each have our own checking accounts, which we use for whatever - we put equal amounts from both of us into the joint account each month. We also have a joint savings account....if we need something "big" for the house, we use that, after we discuss it.

IMO it allows us each the "personal freedom" to spend some of the money we make on whatever we want, once the household expenses are taken care of. We never argue about money or about what either of us has bought from our own accounts...and we can surprise each other with gifts <g>.

For us, it has worked well....for some it may not work as well, I guess it depends on the individuals involved, as do most things.......

Old 12-03-2007, 11:52 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
We have always had joint accounts with little to no problems. Big purchases are always discussed. We each take out a certain amount weekly, we call this our allowance.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:02 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,347,531 times
We have seperate accounts, for the first 5 years we had a joint account but she had a spending problem so i opened my own account, she didn't like it at first but it didn't take long for her to figure out it was for the best. It makes both people responsable for thier actions.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:30 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
At first we had a joint acct, and he had the debit card and kept getting money out and not telling me, then I would pay the bills, and the checks would bounce!

Sooooo...separate checking accts after that, and now, separated.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:40 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,603,020 times
I've taken care of all the bills since we were dating. We've always had a joint account. Never been a problem. Neither one of us spends foolishly so we don't see the need for separate accounts. We both have debit cards and spend as we need too. I can't imagine having to pay bills from two separate accounts, what a hassle. And since I'm a full time stay at home mom right now it wouldn't make any sense, one account would be empty most of the time

Old 12-03-2007, 12:43 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
My dh and I have separate accounts. This began when some years back I went to work for a financial instition and they wanted you to have an account with them they could deposit your paycheck into. They did not have locations close to where my husband worked so he didn't want to change banks.

Anyway, he pays most bills out of his account and I pay for household expenses like groceries, etc. out of my account. He is the one primarily responsible for the finances. This system has worked well for us for many years. That way we are each solely responsible for keeping up with our own account.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:48 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
We have a joint checking and savings account, debit and credit cards.
We pay the bills, stick some in savings and have the freedom to spend some on ourselves also (within reason) but the major purchases, we discuss first.
I usually pay the bills since my job is parttime and I have more time. He'd rather me do it anyway. He doesn't like paperwork.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:57 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,040 times
We have two joint accounts, one is "kinda" mine and one is "kinda" hers and we have done it this way for several years now. we (I) pay most of the bills outta mine and most of the household clothes stuff outta hers, but its not really a this is mine this is your thing, considering we both have checkbooks to both accounts. I just keep up with one and her the other.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:09 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
I bring home the bacon and she manages the finances. Can't have separate accounts because we only have one source of income, me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships