Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:29 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,855,898 times

Advertisements

Very opinionated post but very true. I am an ex smoker and didn't have a problem dating when I was first divorced and smoking. I was careful when and where I smoked but alot of women aren't...they don't get it. I do have to tell you that since I have quit smoking and my son is still smoking, the second he walks into the room, I can smell the smoke on him. It is offensive but it is up to him to stop.

Try to have a little more patience with smokers...sometimes it takes us a while to "get it". I tried to quit 5 times. The last attempt was the golden one. I took Chantix and although the side effects are wild, it does work. I ended up not taking the full 12 weeks they recommend, only did 10 and it still worked. I am 61 and had smoked since I was 20...long, long time.

It is easy for non smokers to be critical of smokers and not tolerant and I do understand that...why don't you start a new trend and be supportive towards maybe some of these women you meet quitting? Sometimes meeting a nice guy who doesn't smoke is enough incentive for a woman to stop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 11:36 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,999,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Blah blah blah Im getting sick of you hollier than thou nannying people who force people to live as how you see is fit,and in twisted logic you justify it as saving people from themselves.

Today I have to start paying 70cents a pack more because of nannying M.... F...'s that use to complain about second hand smoke but moved on to complaining about people smelling of cigarette.
Heck, I don't care if you smoke or not. Just don't:

1) Do it in a restaurant where I'm eating, for smell is linked to taste. If I'm paying twenty or thirty bucks for a plate of food, the last thing I need to do is have the experience ruined by your smoke. Given how smell affects the enjoyment of food, it's the equivalent of talking loudly in a movie theater so no one can hear what the actors are saying.

2) Toss your cigarette butts onto the roadside rather than stub them out in your ashtray. Or flick them into the bushes when coming over to my house. My son's Cub Scout troop did a road cleanup just last weekend. We picked up hundreds and hundreds of cigarette butts, by far the most prevelant form of litter. Of course, if you ask any smoker, they'll say, "Me? Why I NEVER put my butts anywhere but an ashtray." Right.

3) During the course of a working day, push away from your desk, tell your co-workers, "I'm taking a smoke break," disappear for 15-20 minutes while all hell is breaking lose at the office, and do this four or five times a day. Four fifteen-minute smoke breaks daily is one hour. Multiply that by 200 working days in year, and you're costing your employer serious cashola. Of course, this is when the smoker says, "Hey, I work hard everyday." Of course you do. You just work hard one hour less a day than everybody else because of all your smoke breaks.

4) As an adjunct to #3, loiter outside the company's front door smoking cigarettes. It makes them look as if they're either a homeless shelter or they're just not that busy. Either way, it doesn't create a lot of faith in the company's efficiency.

5) Put your cigarettes on my furniture or sprinkle ashes on my rug. Yeah, a friend of mine ruined a couple of pieces of furniture that way.

6) Take advantage of government-subsidized healthcare for the emphysema, lung cancer, or high blood pressure you will likely get. I watch what I eat and exercise. So, odds are, I'll live longer than you. Why should my hard-earned tax dollars pay for somebody who willingly destroys their health?

So there you go. Knock yourself out. As long as you don't do any of the six things listed above, you can smoke all you want and not hear a peep out of me.

Last edited by cpg35223; 04-01-2009 at 11:57 AM..

Old 04-01-2009, 11:43 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,284,410 times
Same goes for a guy. Guy smokers are not sexy.. it is just repulsive.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:46 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,426,139 times
There is nothing wrong with having a delicious clove every once in awhile.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:46 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,563,432 times
Great words, cpg.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:54 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,602,172 times
Greatest thread ever!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:04 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,673,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Heck, I don't care if you smoke or not. Just don't:

1) Do it in a restaurant where I'm eating, for smell is linked to taste. If I'm paying twenty or thirty bucks for a plate of food, the last thing I need to do is have the experience ruined by your smoke. Given how smell affects the enjoyment of food, it's the equivalent of talking loudly in a movie theater so no one can hear what the actors are saying.

2) Toss your cigarette butts onto the roadside rather than stub them out in your ashtray. Or flick them into the bushes when coming over to my house. My son's Cub Scout troop did a road cleanup just last weekend. We picked up hundreds and hundreds of cigarette butts, by far the most prevelant form of litter. Of course, if you ask any smoker, they'll say, "Me? Why I NEVER put my butts anywhere but an ashtray." Right.

3) During the course of a working day, push away from your desk, tell your co-workers, "I'm taking a smoke break," disappear for 15-20 minutes while all hell is breaking lose at the office, and do this four or five times a day. Four fifteen-minute smoke breaks daily is one hour. Multiply that by 200 working days in year, and you're costing your employer serious cashola. Of course, this is when the smoker says, "Hey, I work hard everyday." Of course you do. You just work hard one hour less a day because of all your smoke breaks.

4) As an adjunct to #3, loiter outside the company's front door smoking cigarettes. It makes them look as if they're either a homeless shelter or they're just not that busy. Either way, it doesn't create a lot of faith in the company's efficiency.

5) Put your cigarettes on my furniture or sprinkle ashes on my rug. Yeah, a friend of mine ruined a couple of pieces of furniture that way.

6) Take advantage of government-subsidized healthcare for the emphysema, lung cancer, or high blood pressure you will likely get. I watch what I eat and exercise. So, odds are, I'll live longer than you. Why should my hard-earned tax dollars pay for somebody who willingly destroys their health?

So there you go. Knock yourself out. As long as you don't do any of the six things listed above, you can smoke all you want and not hear a peep out of me.
CPG, every now and then, some posts just hit it into orbit, not just outta the park---this is one of those...

And Lionking, please understand, I don't consider myself holier than ANYONE...but I lost one of the people I love most in this world (my Mom) to lung cancer in 2005...I was living with her at the time, having moved back to take care of her and Dad...my parents smoked NON-STOP for ALL of my life (I'm 53 now), and I experienced first-hand EVERYTHING that CPG touched on in his post...my Dad probably would have eventually passed from cancer had not an aneurysm literally exploded his brain in 2001...

So, I will stand up and go 'nanny-nanny boo-boo' all I bloody well please, if my doing that will convince ONE PERSON that smoking will eventually f***ing kill you...I had to watch helplessly as my Mom's mental capacities and her boundless well of strength were eaten away by an insidious enemy that I could not fight, and let me tell you, that was a most humbling experience...I don't debate, sir, your right to smoke---as you stated you are an adult and can do as you please...but I and others also have the choice and the right NOT to smoke, and to NOT be bothered by those who do, and THEIR incessant whining about 'people trying to take away their rights'...'nuff said

Old 04-01-2009, 12:06 PM

1,776 posts, read 3,997,006 times
Did you hear about that tax hike on cigs?

I couldn't get with a woman who smokes. Not attractive.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:11 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,602,172 times
Whats worse is women who smoke and drink coffee all day... OMG! I have a chic that works at my company who smokes and drinks coffee all day...wow everytime she talks to me its like she ate a $h!t sandwich! ITS HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:27 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,869,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think you need to rethink the "no disrespect" part. There's nothing in what you said that was at all respectful. It's like saying, "No offense, but you're an idiot."
There was nothing disrespectful about his post.

I happen to agree that women who smoke are an instant turnoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships