Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:40 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueprnova View Post
LMAO, I love it...esp. the scream she let out before placing herself on the floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 09:53 PM

87 posts, read 310,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueprnova View Post
For crying out loud...I live in chicago....and my water comes from???
I hope you buy your water from the store! Chicago's water is polluted with more than just pharmaceuticals.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:59 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,688,020 times
the last month or so it has had this funky smell...and I noticed too that the water has beat the crap out of my clothes...
Coffee is made from tap....and the dogs drink it...but otherwise we have bottled water... and I buy ice!

Old 04-04-2009, 10:15 PM

I live on well water. "Funky smell" is putting it nicely. I get ice & water from my mother's house. My pets get filtered water from the Brita pitcher. I use my water for washing the dishes & clothes, and it's hard, so I use borax to soften it.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:36 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Default Women Smokers Not Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Heck, I don't care if you smoke or not. Just don't:

1) Do it in a restaurant where I'm eating, for smell is linked to taste. If I'm paying twenty or thirty bucks for a plate of food, the last thing I need to do is have the experience ruined by your smoke. Given how smell affects the enjoyment of food, it's the equivalent of talking loudly in a movie theater so no one can hear what the actors are saying.
2) Toss your cigarette butts onto the roadside rather than stub them out in your ashtray. Or flick them into the bushes when coming over to my house. My son's Cub Scout troop did a road cleanup just last weekend. We picked up hundreds and hundreds of cigarette butts, by far the most prevelant form of litter. Of course, if you ask any smoker, they'll say, "Me? Why I NEVER put my butts anywhere but an ashtray." Right.
3) During the course of a working day, push away from your desk, tell your co-workers, "I'm taking a smoke break," disappear for 15-20 minutes while all hell is breaking lose at the office, and do this four or five times a day. Four fifteen-minute smoke breaks daily is one hour. Multiply that by 200 working days in year, and you're costing your employer serious cashola. Of course, this is when the smoker says, "Hey, I work hard everyday." Of course you do. You just work hard one hour less a day than everybody else because of all your smoke breaks.
4) As an adjunct to #3, loiter outside the company's front door smoking cigarettes. It makes them look as if they're either a homeless shelter or they're just not that busy. Either way, it doesn't create a lot of faith in the company's efficiency.
5) Put your cigarettes on my furniture or sprinkle ashes on my rug. Yeah, a friend of mine ruined a couple of pieces of furniture that way.
6) Take advantage of government-subsidized healthcare for the emphysema, lung cancer, or high blood pressure you will likely get. I watch what I eat and exercise. So, odds are, I'll live longer than you. Why should my hard-earned tax dollars pay for somebody who willingly destroys their health?
So there you go. Knock yourself out. As long as you don't do any of the six things listed above, you can smoke all you want and not hear a peep out of me.
You are kind of behind the times with what you will not tolerate with smokers.

First of all....hardly any companies now allow people to smoke within 50 feet of a building...they either have designated smoking areas or you can walk 50 feet away from the building..our local utility company does this. As far as a "smoke break" goes...unless you are the "smoking police" at your place of employment...why isn't a manager stopping this and who says YOU can't go outside for a break to get fresh air?? Where I use to work, some of the non-smokers would go outside but in a different area. Nothing was said.

Next, who do you possibly know that allows smoking inside any restaurant or bar now? NO SMOKING inside has been around for a long, long time.

If you hate smoking so much...why do you allow people to smoke in your house? If these people are smoking in your house, what kind of friends are they...tell them to smoke outside.

I totally agree with you on tossing butts out the car window or stomping them into the ground...I am concerned about fires starting and cigarette butts are NOT biodegradible (sp?)

Your hard earned tax dollar I am afraid is paying for more than just smokers who get sick. You are paying for every unwed Mom, every person who can't find work and draws unemployment, the wars overseas, foodstamps for low income people, college for people of a certain ethnic race...they come here and because they are classified as a "minority" they go to college either for free or for far less than we do...you are paying or going to pay for Nadia's 8 babies, you are paying the extra price for gas and you are paying for health insurance for welfare people...we pay for a piece of everything that people less fortunate than us have so why focus on just people who get sick from smoking?? By the way...not ALL smokers have to go on welfare if they get sick...some are working people who get sick so don't worry your head about that one too much.

Look, we all make decisions with what we do with OUR lives. Sure others can get irritated with what we decide to do...it really is no one's business. When it crosses over into MY life and starts to effect my life then it is time to speak up..not on a forum...not within a crowd of friends at work...go to the source and try to help.

To stop smoking is not an easy thing to do. There are over 500 chemicals in one cigarette..one of those chemicals is ARSENIC...and yet another which I don't know the name of is deliberately put into the cigarette to keep people craving more..it enhances the effects of the nicotine. How DARE these cigarette companies not tell people what they are putting into their bodies. I tried to stop 5 times...the 5th time was the charmer and I don't intend to go back to it. Do I get on other people for smoking...NO...it has to be their decision. I do mention from time to time the number of chemicals in a cigarette and it is frightening to watch the person I am telling look at the cigarette then take a big puff off it...sigh.

Relax and try to be more pro-active towards helping people to quit. Think of the lives you can save! Is this your job, probably not but the gratification factor is astronomical...kill them with kindness and see what happens and get more educated about this addiction so you can toss out facts instead of anger.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:51 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post

First of all....hardly any companies now allow people to smoke within 50 feet of a building...they either have designated smoking areas or you can walk 50 feet away from the building..our local utility company does this. As far as a "smoke break" goes...unless you are the "smoking police" at your place of employment...why isn't a manager stopping this and who says YOU can't go outside for a break to get fresh air?? Where I use to work, some of the non-smokers would go outside but in a different area. Nothing was said.

Next, who do you possibly know that allows smoking inside any restaurant or bar now? NO SMOKING inside has been around for a long, long time.

If you hate smoking so much...why do you allow people to smoke in your house? If these people are smoking in your house, what kind of friends are they...tell them to smoke outside.

I totally agree with you on tossing butts out the car window or stomping them into the ground...I am concerned about fires starting and cigarette butts are NOT biodegradible (sp?)

Your hard earned tax dollar I am afraid is paying for more than just smokers who get sick. You are paying for every unwed Mom, every person who can't find work and draws unemployment, the wars overseas, foodstamps for low income people, college for people of a certain ethnic race...they come here and because they are classified as a "minority" they go to college either for free or for far less than we do...you are paying or going to pay for Nadia's 8 babies, you are paying the extra price for gas and you are paying for health insurance for welfare people...we pay for a piece of everything that people less fortunate than us have so why focus on just people who get sick from smoking?? By the way...not ALL smokers have to go on welfare if they get sick...some are working people who get sick so don't worry your head about that one too much.

Look, we all make decisions with what we do with OUR lives. Sure others can get irritated with what we decide to do...it really is no one's business. When it crosses over into MY life and starts to effect my life then it is time to speak up..not on a forum...not within a crowd of friends at work...go to the source and try to help.

To stop smoking is not an easy thing to do. There are over 500 chemicals in one cigarette..one of those chemicals is ARSENIC...and yet another which I don't know the name of is deliberately put into the cigarette to keep people craving more..it enhances the effects of the nicotine. How DARE these cigarette companies not tell people what they are putting into their bodies. I tried to stop 5 times...the 5th time was the charmer and I don't intend to go back to it. Do I get on other people for smoking...NO...it has to be their decision. I do mention from time to time the number of chemicals in a cigarette and it is frightening to watch the person I am telling look at the cigarette then take a big puff off it...sigh.

Relax and try to be more pro-active towards helping people to quit. Think of the lives you can save! Is this your job, probably not but the gratification factor is astronomical...kill them with kindness and see what happens and get more educated about this addiction so you can toss out facts instead of anger.
In the city where I live, smoking is still legal in restaurants (yep...we're asked: "Smoking or non-smoking?"). It's also legal in all bars. And there are no laws here against smoking in front of buildings.

YOU are a bit behind the times. The majority of U.S. cities do not have strict smoking bans. States like California, Florida and Hawaii lead the group in anti-smoking legislation, but many many cities lag far behind.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:02 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post

Actually, there are lots of states that don't have strict bans in places such as restaurants.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:50 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
I don't smoke, but smoking makes a woman look sexy to me (if she is sexy and attractive to me in the first place). Here's why: I can't stand political correctness. In this day and age, smoking is probably the single most politically incorrect, socially unacceptable behavior a person can do (of anything legal). A woman who would ignore or rebel against what society tells her to do is super sexy to me. Many women smokers I have known are fun to be around, they aren't uptight and prudish, So all you guys can criticize and reject women who smoke, I'll be happy to date them.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I don't smoke, but smoking makes a woman look sexy to me (if she is sexy and attractive to me in the first place). Here's why: I can't stand political correctness. In this day and age, smoking is probably the single most politically incorrect, socially unacceptable behavior a person can do (of anything legal). A woman who would ignore or rebel against what society tells her to do is super sexy to me. Many women smokers I have known are fun to be around, they aren't uptight and prudish, So all you guys can criticize and reject women who smoke, I'll be happy to date them.
Me! Me! lol

Couldn't resist.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:34 PM

390 posts, read 905,070 times
I have never smoked and I am in my early 40's. My mother smoked since she was 15 and she died at the age of 54 of advanced lung cancer. I wont even go into the color of the lung fluid that they extracted with a clear tube from her lungs. eww. But, that is not why I never smoked. I just never saw anything cool about it or any signifigant reason to start. I am sure if I did start I would have gotten hooked. From what I hear it is the worst at trying to quit.
I only dated one smoker. I tolerated because I fell inlove with him but
at my age I would prob. not date a smoker again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships