Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:39 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Which is worse in your opinion? For me, it is by far emotional hurt..not only is it more intense than physical pain because much of it is feelings & a usually bruised self-esteem? Physical pain in my opinion can heal up more quickly than can emotional pain, emotional pain can last for lifetimes & affect future relationships. How can one heal themselves from emotional hurt?
They are both horrible. Physical pain of course can hurt your self-esteem too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:41 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post
But take the situation of where a couple treats each other great.. then all of a sudden Person #1 finds out that Person #2 has been cheating or something.. That pain comes out of nowhere so it's not like the other person was "allowing" it. Or what if Person #1 unintentionally hurts Person #2 so Person #2 leaves and Person #1 is devastated.

I broke my femur (thigh bone) when I was younger.. So the last time I had my heart broken, I used to tell people that I'd rather break my leg than go through what I was going through.. And I still feel like that. And I'm usually not an overly emotional person either!
Of course I would rather have my leg than my heart broken. But if it were my partner who broke my leg (while attacking me), both my leg and my heart would be broken and my trust forever shattered. I don't think there's any way I could be more emotionally hurt than following physical violence.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:43 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post
But take the situation of where a couple treats each other great.. then all of a sudden Person #1 finds out that Person #2 has been cheating or something.. That pain comes out of nowhere so it's not like the other person was "allowing" it. Or what if Person #1 unintentionally hurts Person #2 so Person #2 leaves and Person #1 is devastated.

I broke my femur (thigh bone) when I was younger.. So the last time I had my heart broken, I used to tell people that I'd rather break my leg than go through what I was going through.. And I still feel like that. And I'm usually not an overly emotional person either!
yup, dead on.....
like someone rips your heart out...

Old 04-02-2009, 12:20 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
You are absolutely right, absolutely, and I now look back and wonder, "What the hell were you thinking". I was really vulnerable, naieve and down right stupid.
I wouldn't say you are stupid.

I would say you are a very nice person who wants to believe that the other person didn't mean to treat you like that. Like a bad day kinda thing.

However, there are lines in our minds that we have to keep dark and bold so we never get them erased to only draw a lighter shaded one back a ways. You know, like, I will allow them to cuss me out....now I will allow them to push me...now I will...See?

We have to keep the dark, bold lines clear and they should know in their minds where those lines are.

Like my wife knows if she EVER cheated I would be gone. GONE!! No questions asked. She knows that. See those who don't have those lines will find they are living with someone who has cheated on them not once but a couple of times. The moved the line or they just don't know where the line is...neither do they.

Keep positive. Learn and move on.

Happy trails to ya!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 01:18 PM

323 posts, read 788,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yup, dead on.....
like someone rips your heart out...
Isn't it a miserable time? The only good thing is to know that it's possible to care about someone that much. I used to think that something was wrong with me because I would get over my relationships pretty fast.. but with that guy.. man, I had to put EFFORT in to being able to work and function normally.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:09 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,583,499 times
I have only had a little bit of physical pain in my life. But I'd take that over emotional pain any day. It is awful how emptiness hurts.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:30 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Which is worse in your opinion? For me, it is by far emotional hurt..not only is it more intense than physical pain because much of it is feelings & a usually bruised self-esteem? Physical pain in my opinion can heal up more quickly than can emotional pain, emotional pain can last for lifetimes & affect future relationships. How can one heal themselves from emotional hurt?
Its a different sort of pain. Physical can be more intense but the emotional can linger and is more likely to re-visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships