Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 02:06 PM

2,702 posts, read 5,999,376 times

Advertisements

& emotions? Why does whenever a woman express how she feels, it often sends a guy running away scared. I can understand if it was a little early in the relationship, that's never good but overall, I think that boys are generally afraid of women expressing emotions/feelings over them. Men are not.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 02:10 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,794,118 times
Both men and women are that way.

From my experiences one wants to express all his or her feelings and emotions and blocks out the partner's feelings, emotions and opinions, as if there is only room for one person's emotions in a relationship or friendship.

There are too many idiots in the world.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:16 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,666,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Are men afraid of feelings?
Not at all. Most men wallow in feelings, as do most women. Just take a look around this forum. Social convention dictates, only, that men and women express their feelings differently. It is more socially acceptable for men to express anger (even violently), frustration, vexation, outrage, etc. -- less so for women. It is more socially acceptable for women to express sadness, distress, affection, etc. -- less so for men.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:27 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,189,998 times
I wouldn't say men are afraid of feelings. Generally, however, men tend to make decisions / judgments primarily based on rationalization and logic. A few women do as well, but most tend to be more likely to follow their emotions.

Please don't take this as sexist - this is a generally accepted, researched fact. Its not that one way is right or wrong, they are just different.

This doesn't scare men, so much as exasperate them. There's no "reasoning" or "discussing" when the position on the other side is "I feel..." I speak from experience. Limited, but experience nonetheless. Its like speaking to someone who is speaking a foreign language. You know they are trying to say something, but you can't understand it. Its not that men don't have emotions, its that in a lot of circumstances, its hard for us to tap into them in terms of decision making. So when you do, we are baffled, and have no idea how to continue .

Old 04-02-2009, 02:37 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
& emotions? Why does whenever a woman express how she feels, it often sends a guy running away scared. I can understand if it was a little early in the relationship, that's never good but overall, I think that boys are generally afraid of women expressing emotions/feelings over them. Men are not.

Thoughts?
In my experience, men have just as many feelings as women. The reason they don't give in to them or seem to be running away from them, is simply due to the way they are hardwired. Men tend to look at things from a perspective of logic and reason only. Woman are hardwired to use both sides of their brain at once (unlike men who have a tougher time doing that) so we can feel our emotions AND reason. Men aren't "scared" by emotions, they just don't understand why getting them all mixed in with the reality of a situation is necessary

Old 04-02-2009, 02:40 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,215,793 times
In my experience, they are not afraid of all thoughts and feelings, just the ones that do not reflect them in a positive light.

With that said, this , to me, is in all humans.

I need to get something 'out' whether it be good or bad. It needs to be discussed in order to let it go or to work out any problem.

If it is a problem, to him, he does not want to hear about it. I feel it needs to be in the open to be able to be resolved, and by keeping it bottled up inside, can make things worse.

So, if he does not want to hear about it, I have got to talk to someone about it.

Then we run into the, "Why did you talk to her about this?" situation.

It is sort of a no win situation for me, I find...

Old 04-02-2009, 02:41 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,256,104 times
False.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:45 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,791,326 times
As a man, I find myself, avoiding negatively emotional events. It is easy to block out physical pain. Matters of the heart are a completely different story.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:56 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,557,302 times
I wish my wife would express her feelings more.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:20 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,941,130 times
False. Real men are wonderful about dealing with feelings. Frankly, I've always had more male friends than female friends because I find I can talk to men SO much better than I can talk with other women. Maybe it's because I tend to be calm and deliberate and don't get into hysterics. Hysterics make ANYONE uncomfortable!

Men are so funny -- they like to "fix" things, even when they can't, and that sort of response makes me feel better. If someone has wronged me and I talk about it with a male friend, the reaction often is "I'll go and take care of him/her for you!" They don't, LOL, but it makes me smile and feel better to have them say it anyway. I guess it makes me feel supported and protected, like a big brother would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships