Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times

Advertisements

I've heard it said that abusive men tend to be very charming at first to a woman, very kind but I really don't know how to spot these men. Do they take on any kind of woman or do they mostly target women with low self-esteem. A friend of my mom's was involved in an abusive relationship with a man & she appeared very confident, self-assured woman. They are no longer together but my mother always wondered how she ended up with that man? What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Chanteuse d' Opéra; 04-02-2009 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,196 times
From the get go you can't identify them. They are wonderful at first....maybe here and there there will be an outburst....but it's usually blown over as being caught off guard....something along those lines. Time, and nothing else, allows you to see who a person is.
What the problem is...these types of people suck you in...and after, for example, they throw you across the room cause you looked at him crooked, will be so apologetic, buy you things, say anything to get you to forgive them....you can't resist..."he was so cute and he bought me this and he said he was sorry"... etc....
"I don't know what got into me,...I had a bad day at work" ad naseum....
I have found...that once the lion is loose it's about 1-2 weeks of being nice....then *BOOM*
SO many of the people I know who were/are in abusive relationships ARE smart, sophisticated and intelligent people....and it's kept a secret because you don't want anyone to know....its shame on the abusees part...
Later on their outbursts will become your fault....and you'll begin to believe it....hence being beaten down and your self esteem following suit....

I apply this to male and female both....

Old 04-02-2009, 10:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
^ Why are outbursts so bad??? Some people can drive you up a wall with many intentional little annoyances and an outburst will help them learn not to do a lot of irritating things.

Ever read up on passive aggressive people. They are taunting and provoking the rage but then take no blame or accountability when the relationship becomes dysfunctional or painful.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 PM

they are bad if you beat someone because of them
Count to 10 and walk away...sheesh....wwjd?

Old 04-02-2009, 10:48 PM

259 posts, read 840,261 times
Yes, many have awesome personalities (makes you laugh, one you bring home to mom, confident, kind, ect) which is why I think women get so easily tricked. They fall in love with a completely different man first and then the anger management problems come out later. I think the trick is to watch out for any obsessive qualities in the beginning and ask them questions about their past relationships. Don't be bashful. Also, with the internet available, background checks are great

Old 04-02-2009, 10:51 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
^ Why are outbursts so bad??? Some people can drive you up a wall with many intentional little annoyances and an outburst will help them learn not to do a lot of irritating things.

Ever read up on passive aggressive people. They are taunting and provoking the rage but then take no blame or accountability when the relationship becomes dysfunctional or painful.
Well, outbursts are bad because they make others feel really bad. Thats why instead of an outburst, its best to talk things over rationally without hurting anyones feelings in the process. Not only do you make them feel bad when you have a sudden outburst, but people catch on quick that you are mean and not good to have around.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:53 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
I spotted one right from the start of the relationship when my daughter came over with her new boyfriend. He seemed very nice but when she wanted to go find some tweezers before they left, he insisted she didn't need any. When she persisted, he gave her a look like, "You heard me". I knew right then he was controlling. I was really confused and shocked when she ended up in such a relationship because she is a strong, seemingly self-assured, confident woman but there's a quality about people that tells the abusers they can get away with it. It starts with them getting away with the first offense. That gives the abuser the confidence to try it again, and again.

Me, on the other hand, I've always been very reserved, introverted with kind of a low self esteem but the moment a guy tried that controlling stuff on me, he was out on his a** and he knew it. I wish I knew exactly what it is but like you said, how do these seemingly strong women end up with them? It's strange.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
And a sly sneaky sarcastic passive aggressive person is????

I'm sorry but there is a reason for the outburst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Well, outbursts are bad because they make others feel really bad. Thats why instead of an outburst, its best to talk things over rationally without hurting anyones feelings in the process. Not only do you make them feel bad when you have a sudden outburst, but people catch on quick that you are mean and not good to have around.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:57 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
And a sly sneaky sarcastic passive aggressive person is????

I'm sorry but there is a reason for the outburst.
If you totally hate their guts , then outbursts are permissible. An a** whopping too. But I meant an outburst within a couples relationship.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:57 PM

artsy, if you ask the same thing again I will show you why outbursts are bad

Seriously, by outburst I mean, punching a wall, throwing something, yelling....I should have been more clear...my bad...*forgive me*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships