Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:20 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Some churches do require classes and counseling before couples can be married in the church. I know that dosent apply for the non-religious.

Maybe it should be harder to obtain a divorce. A marriage license should be an actual contract similar to a pre-nup where both parties agree to behave in a particular manner, say the same reason given for divorce, infidelity, abuse, abandonment, drug/alcohol abuse, etc. except for the all inclusive, vague irreconcilable differences. If it is proven one party violates the conditions of the contract they could be fined, sued and/or a divorce be granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 08:30 AM

10 posts, read 25,472 times
2mares- I like your thinking! That sound like a better way, make you think about the consequenses a bit harder. Be a little scared of what you are getting into.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:36 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Some churches do require classes and counseling before couples can be married in the church. I know that dosent apply for the non-religious.

Maybe it should be harder to obtain a divorce. A marriage license should be an actual contract similar to a pre-nup where both parties agree to behave in a particular manner, say the same reason given for divorce, infidelity, abuse, abandonment, drug/alcohol abuse, etc. except for the all inclusive, vague irreconcilable differences. If it is proven one party violates the conditions of the contract they could be fined, sued and/or a divorce be granted.
Oh good grief, you're kidding, right? Please tell me you don't really think this way. Fining someone for misbehaving in their marriage? Please. There's already enough cattiness, hatred, selfishness, and revenge associated with marriage and divorce, and you want to add MORE? Good going there, yeah let me know how that works for you.

Besides, don't we have enough outside involvement in our lives already? What's next, you going to fine me if I use my fingers to eat off my plate, or if I don't put the toilet seat down, or if I have 13 items in the 12 item lane at the grocery store, or if I load the toilet paper so the paper comes off the front instead of the back of the roll?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Personally, I think that government should stay the hell out of it. The only thing government should do is recognize the marriage for purposes of property, credit, and wills. Anything else smacks of social engineering. What's more, the courts are choked enough as it is. Are you really advocating finding jobs for a few hundred thousand more lawyers and bureaucrats?

Seriously. Can you imagine what kind of convoluted crap you'd have to go through if the government got into the pre-marriage counseling business? I mean, we were married at my wife's family's catholic church, and we had to go through all kinds of nonsense over a course of two months. The laugher was when the priest came to talk to us about sex and marriage. As if he knew squat about either.

That being said, I agree with you that people rush blindly into marriage. I'm always amazed at the number of people who devote enormous amounts of time and energy planning a wedding but don't give a second thought to what happens after the couple returns from the honeymoon. Heck, all you have to do is read through this forum and see how many people made really, really boneheaded decisions in their choices for spouses, how they deal with their spouses, and a host of other relationship issues.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:50 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
No way! The governments hands are in enough pots (Can anyone say Auto Bailout?????) and they have no business telling anyone how to live their lives.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:57 AM

838 posts, read 1,876,420 times
[quote=ZugZub;8169016] We're not inclined as a species to stay with only one mate.
quote]

According to who?

Old 04-03-2009, 09:11 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Marriage licenses should be renewed like driver's licenses. Every five years you can take a long hard look at one another and say "Do we really want to renew this?"

Old 04-03-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post

According to who?
Oh gosh, why not just look around you at all the other humans? If we were inclined as a species to stay with one mate, you'd see a lot more lifelong monogamous couples, ya think?

But hey, science has long recognized that of the 5000 or so mammalian species on this planet, only a very tiny handful of them are truly monogamous, and humans aren't one of them. Neither are our primate cousins. Why? It's not genetically beneficial to the species. \

If you're interested in actual scientific facts, it's pretty easy to Google a few terms and bring up reams of information on the subject. Try "human monogamy" or "primate monogamy" or "mammalian monogamy".

Old 04-03-2009, 09:32 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,083,846 times
Look it's a screwed up society! I work at the worlds largest retailer. Wanna steal from us? When we politely ask you to come back in the store to check your bag ignore us...WE CAN'T TOUCH YOU! And the criminals know this!!!

The lawyers have got my company so scared of a lawsuit that they endure stealing as acceptable...they're only real concern is catching the employees! And Many people get a job there and get tired of watching the public walk out the door scott free and it builds a resentment against the company. And they start stealing, they see the company treats the customer FAR BETTER than the employee.

Same thing with gas stations...we're all prepaying for the people who drive off! We're all penalized because society/government won't penalize the criminals! And people get sick of it.

Marriage breaking up leads to MOST of our youth problems. Here's the answer...you pay a fee to GET MARRIED. Make em pay a fee on the way out especially if they have kids...a large fee based on assets...let's say 60% of all marrital assets! You'd see a lot of people stay married then!!! Why should the good people/society at large have to pay for ALL the societal costs a marriage breaking up eventually encompasses? I'm talking the kids failing several years of school. The drug and alcohol treatment..the tying up of the courts in custody.

OK but what about the single parents? That's simple too..you have the right to have a dog, you have the right to havce a cat, you have the right to have a goldfish...but in each case...you pay to do that! Simple answer...$30,000 per kid! No acceptions..per parent! Don't want to pay? Don't have sex!!!! And I know, we'll be tying up the jails with unwed mothers...hey i'll bet sean john and nike wouldn't mind hiring jail moms for .50 an hour instead of asians! Heck...we might even have... Attica jail...sponcered by Cathy Lee attire!

Old 04-03-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Marriage licenses should be renewed like driver's licenses. Every five years you can take a long hard look at one another and say "Do we really want to renew this?"
Now THAT is a logical idea. Reps to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships