Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 02:30 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times

Advertisements

I sometimes feel self-conscious, but no one really notices me - I kind of blend in so much I feel invisible, which can be a good thing. I like doing stuff with people and socializing, but at times I like to do things myself. Only doing one or the other would leave me frustrated. Anyway, movies or something I see as a solitary activity anyway, although as someone said it's fun discussing the movie afterwards. Going to a club or something at night can be intimidating if you're not used to it; I can understand why very few girls would do that - in that sense it's an advantage being male. In certain situations you are noticed more if you are a loner and more people will actually come up and talk to you. Otherwise they think you're so engaged in talking within your group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
I agree with you, however, I have heard some people say that if he or she goes to a club or bar alone it is because he or she has no friends and or is looking only for sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I sometimes feel self-conscious, but no one really notices me - I kind of blend in so much I feel invisible, which can be a good thing. I like doing stuff with people and socializing, but at times I like to do things myself. Only doing one or the other would leave me frustrated. Anyway, movies or something I see as a solitary activity anyway, although as someone said it's fun discussing the movie afterwards. Going to a club or something at night can be intimidating if you're not used to it; I can understand why very few girls would do that - in that sense it's an advantage being male. In certain situations you are noticed more if you are a loner and more people will actually come up and talk to you. Otherwise they think you're so engaged in talking within your group.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:42 PM

do you get nasty looks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
I fear going to places-like walmart or somewhere public-because i feel like people will give me nasty looks or the security guard always believes i am robbing something. but in reality she or rarely he just wants a power surge. I have traveled by myself and i felt free so long as i stayed out of public places. maybe i just don't like people's prescence

Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 PM

ha ha I know that is lame when you get labeled the "scary loner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Only because sometimes people tend to treat you a little like a freak. You have to explain why you are trying some new thing alone lest you be labeled a "scary loner"

Old 04-05-2009, 08:30 PM

267 posts, read 898,001 times
I HATE to eat by myself. If I'm not dining with friends or family, I will stick with the drive thru, even if that isn't really what I want, because I can't stand the idea of going in and sitting at a booth, or at the bar, by myself.

Other than that, no. I love to get out and just walk by myself at night, when it is quiet and dark outside. I love going to the library by myself, and enjoying the quiet. I don't mind going to the movies by myself, if there's something I want to see. And, I don't mind staying home and curling up on the couch with a good book, and a good bottle of wine. The book I'll read in one night - the bottle of wine will last the whole weekend (lest any of you mistake me for a drunk!)

I guess deep down I'm a loner - I once told my parents I wanted to be a nun when I grew up. I was pretty PO'd when I found out you had to be Catholic to be a nun. Of course, later I found out nuns couldn't have sex, and that kind of ruined it for me anyways . . .

Old 04-06-2009, 04:15 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Only because sometimes people tend to treat you a little like a freak. You have to explain why you are trying some new thing alone lest you be labeled a "scary loner"
wrong...and even if it were true, what do you care? Why would you have to gain approval from someone to have fun or be happy? You don't owe anyone any explainations, unless your under age...but if your a grown adult, then make yourself happy. What makes you happy, won't make someone else happy.

If I would have listened to my mother, when I went to the Bahamas alone, I'd have never experienced that wonderful holiday. People are negative by nature...and will try and talk you out of enjoying YOUR life.

Scary loner? There are so many people out there vacationing, do you think and really believe they care that your alone? They're having fun...

If we sat back and thought like this...we'd never experience our life, and I for one, when I grow to old to do things, never ever want to sit back and say, I wish I had done this or that...

Go and experience life and stop thinking about what other people are thinking of you...

Old 04-06-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_it_here View Post
I HATE to eat by myself. If I'm not dining with friends or family, I will stick with the drive thru, even if that isn't really what I want, because I can't stand the idea of going in and sitting at a booth, or at the bar, by myself.

Other than that, no. I love to get out and just walk by myself at night, when it is quiet and dark outside. I love going to the library by myself, and enjoying the quiet. I don't mind going to the movies by myself, if there's something I want to see. And, I don't mind staying home and curling up on the couch with a good book, and a good bottle of wine. The book I'll read in one night - the bottle of wine will last the whole weekend (lest any of you mistake me for a drunk!)

I guess deep down I'm a loner - I once told my parents I wanted to be a nun when I grew up. I was pretty PO'd when I found out you had to be Catholic to be a nun. Of course, later I found out nuns couldn't have sex, and that kind of ruined it for me anyways . . .
Why does it scare you to go out to dinner alone?

Old 04-06-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
My feelings exactly. I don't enjoy dining out or movies by myself, because I consider those things more for companionship, i.e., eating breakfast at a coffee shop alone is one thing, but going to a 5-star restaurant for dinner would feel like a waste of time and money.

And I don't mind traveling alone either, but when I find the "good stuff" I want to share the experience with someone.
When I travel alone, there are 5 star restaurants I want to try...so I go...and enjoy it...it's not a waste of time, but a great experience. But then, that's me? Where did you ever get the idea, in order to go to a movie, you need companionship? I'd be interested in knowing where this concept came from? Did someone tell you that when you were little?

Old 04-06-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
I fear going to places-like walmart or somewhere public-because i feel like people will give me nasty looks or the security guard always believes i am robbing something. but in reality she or rarely he just wants a power surge. I have traveled by myself and i felt free so long as i stayed out of public places. maybe i just don't like people's prescence
So, in other words, you won't go to walmart, unless someone is with you? Yanno, you really need to work on this...think about it, seriously...is it b/c when you see someone wandering around Walmart alone, that is what you think about them?

I find that people think others are judging them, they way they judge people...

Dont' be afraid...and don't think about what others are thinking about you...go, and enjoy life.

I can't imagine the tons of people in this world that miss so many opportunities and experiences, b/c they feel like this.

My foster mother was very introverted, and she missed out on so much, b/c she feared things, especially new things. Do you know, she never learned to ride a bike or roller skate???? I mean, that is just touching the tip of the ice burg. Yet her sister, wow, she accomplished so much...and I think my mom envied her?

Old 04-06-2009, 04:31 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
I never go anywhere alone, sometimes my daughter even comes with me to see my therapist, she waits in the waiting room. Not since March of 97 have I even been able to go to the bathroom alone. Even when in the shower she finds a reason to come in and chat with me. I should be glad because at that age, I didn't interact with my family that much.

If the situation were to come up, I would not be bothered by being somewhere alone. I hardly notice other people unless they are annoying me so why would I care what they think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships