Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:16 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,633 times

Advertisements

I am getting a bit concerned about how much my DH is drinking. He says it hasn't changed since we first met which is totally possible as I've never paid attention to what he was or wasn't drinking before.

I think I'm noticing more now because we're cutting back on eating out and trying to keep our eating out bills low so I am really noticing the amount on the check from booze. Also we've been doing an intensive exercise program and have been really careful about what we eat, so that's made me more aware too.
So what I'm saying is that it is possible and even probable that his drinking habits have not changed at all, and that it is me who has changed (in that I am now noticing a lot more).

I enjoy a drink or three - especially out with friends and will happily get merrily drunk if we're at a party or out with friends. I have been doing it less these last few months we've been on the exercise program, but I would say I'll drink every couple of weeks, and maybe get 'merry' once every few weeks.

DH drinks every weekend whether we're out with friends or not. That wouldn't bother me, but I'm starting to think that he drinks quite a lot.
It's not unusual for him to have two or three martinis plus a few beers on a Friday and then again on a Saturday night.

When we go out for dinner the booze bill is often more than the food bill..... by a lot.

My concern is this: We have talked about cutting back on booze when we go out for dinners and stuff because it's so expensive. He always agrees, but the next time we go out we have another big bar bill.
At home he drinks when it's just him and me in the house and I'm not drinking.

I'm not worried about his behavior at all. He doesn't drink and drive, and he's overly loving when drunk - not mean at all.

A lot of the people we know seem to drink quite a lot, so it's definitely not just him.

I grew up with a tea total Mother and my Dad doesn't drink much, so I'm thinking I have unrealistics ideas of what is normal drinking behavior. So can I get some opinions as to what kind of alcohol consumption is normal for a guy?

Is it normal to drink 2 or 3 martinis plus a few beers at home when you're the only one drinking?
Or to have 4 - 7 beers when you're out for a dinner with friends?

Thanks for any comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times
On the surface that doesn't appear to be excessive drinking. But my definition of a lot would be any drink that he feels he "needs", and not just wants. When it gets to the point of needing the drink it's a problem. If it affects his health in any way I'd say there's cause for concern as well, but aside from an occasional hangover it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,556 times
how much crack is too much?

Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,663,665 times
I don' know how old you are but drinking like this over the long haul will take it's toll by the time you are in your 50's (20 years of drinking) It also matters how fast he is drinking, I would try to notice if he is building a tolerance to alcohol

Old 04-06-2009, 09:57 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Is it normal to drink 2 or 3 martinis plus a few beers at home when you're the only one drinking?
Or to have 4 - 7 beers when you're out for a dinner with friends?

Thanks for any comments!

I don't drink and am very glad that my wife does not either. But if she did and did not over do it, that'd be ok.

I am going to try to be unbiased here, and think that I am.

It is a bit excessive. 3 out for dinner would be ok with me. 1 martini and a couple of beers at home, anymore than that and I'd be shaking my finger.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:04 AM

473 posts, read 714,422 times
it really doesnt matter how much you think is too much...unless your hubby thinks its too much you arent this would be just what they call an excersize in futility.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:11 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,316 times
Just don't drink and drive. Don't try to "stay under the limit." Just plain don't do it.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:18 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,865,972 times
Default How much drinking is too much?

It is hard to determine if your husband is drinking too much or not just by reading your post. I would probably actually have to be around him in a social situation before it could be determined. How do I know anything about drinking? I divorced an alcoholic who still to this day is drinking beer every day of the week and then some. My ex, would never draw a sober breath for 30 days in a row...decide he needed to cut back and perhaps stop for 3 hours...then right back at it.

If you really want to know if he is becoming alcoholic, I believe AA has an online test to take that determines if you have a problem. It is one of those questionaires that if you answer so many correct you are an alcoholic...etc.

Before you actually start world war III with him, find some info about alcoholism online, take the test for him according to what you know of his drinking habits...then take it from there. Good Luck.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Does he "have" to have a drink when he gets home?
Does he forget what he did when he was drinking?
Does it impact his day to day functioning-job, domestic, etc.
Does he fail to fulfill obligations because of drinking?
Health folks define moderate drinking as 1 or 2, they define what your husband does as binge drinking.
Here are a couple links:
Drinking & you - what is drinking moderately?

Alcohol and Public Health - Binge Drinking

Blood Alcohol Content Calculator - The Police Notebook

I put the last one because, depending on his weight, he's probably DUI.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,043,586 times
The question is if he has just one, can he stop? It is causing problems in your relationship b/c he's spending way too much on alcohol. IMHO, I think he may have a problem with alcohol. Am I An Alcoholic?
If he does, hopefully he will get help b/c it only gets worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships