Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 09:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times

Advertisements

People who were dating in the 1950s are not dating now. People dating now were not dating 60 years ago. There's no control group.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:35 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Only age 15 in 1959. The best years were 1960s-early 1980s. I guess those years were synonymous with the free love era. People were more receptive. Oh Lord you should have seen the office parties. Beginning with the mid-80s with the AIDS awareness, and more significantly, political correctness, people became more up tight with sexual harassment and afraid to make moves.
This didn't occur to me before you mentioned it, and you're eminently right! The combination of AIDS, economic upheavals and the Reaganite "conservative" movement (incredibly, fused with blue-collar populism) largely undid the thaw of the 1960s and 1970s. The backlash to the backlash, as it were, was political correctness. Those factors did far more to complicate dating, than anything that today's disgruntled young men might ascribe to feminism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
People who were dating in the 1950s are not dating now. People dating now were not dating 60 years ago. There's no control group.
There actually may be a control group. At work I have several colleagues who by the late 1950s were already married and raising families. If one of them were to become a widower, it's not inconceivable that he'd be thrust back into the dating market.

If we advance our window by just one decade, the population broadens considerably. For instance, I have a colleague who married young, in the mid-late 1960s. He then divorced, stayed a bachelor for decades, and remarried about a decade ago. He and I have frequent conversations on the "dating market".

To Calvert Hall's point perhaps the watershed year wasn't 1959, but 1981. I was too young to be dating in 1981, but I did make furtive attempts in the late 1980s, and when I got to college, for various reasons beyond the scope of this forum, I found myself amongst persons 5-7 years older. They intimated that on their own watch, from their teenage years into their mid/late 20s, the dating scene changed considerably, and not for the better.

My older colleagues at work are all grandparents, and in some cases great-grandparents. Many are of necessity staid and respectable persons, somewhat bowed with age and less energetic than in former times. Nevertheless, at workplace social functions they occasionally open up. Their youth wasn't quite as limited and repressed as we find in the present.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:40 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,173 times
I miss the days of actually calling people on their landline to have a real live conversation, rather then sending an impersonal text or online message... social interaction has definitely declined in the last 10-15 years.

Examples:

"a/s/l?"
"Netflix and chill?"
"hi"

Old 10-17-2015, 01:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
There actually may be a control group. At work I have several colleagues who by the late 1950s were already married and raising families. If one of them were to become a widower, it's not inconceivable that he'd be thrust back into the dating market.

If we advance our window by just one decade, the population broadens considerably. For instance, I have a colleague who married young, in the mid-late 1960s. He then divorced, stayed a bachelor for decades, and remarried about a decade ago. He and I have frequent conversations on the "dating market".
Fair point, but I bet the 70- and 80-year-olds aren't hooking up on Tinder and fussing about what their FWB's latest Facebook status means. It's more likely they're sharing some warm soup over a Matlock marathon.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:54 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
I miss the days of actually calling people on their landline to have a real live conversation, rather then sending an impersonal text or online message... social interaction has definitely declined in the last 10-15 years.

Examples:

"a/s/l?"
"Netflix and chill?"
"hi"
Yep, and I don't think the shift has been good.

I heard some odd story a while back where some kid went and murdered some girl because he misunderstood some texts between them and a another person.

I realize that's an extreme example.

I also hear about stories of people breaking up with each other over text... too afraid to face the unpleasantness in person I suppose.

Texting to me will always be for quick short messages, such as I'call you later, or running late, things of that order, I'm not one to have a full blown convo via text.

I liked it for situations at work where you don't want to call someone and get into a big thing, but send a quickie message.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:57 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Fair point, but I bet the 70- and 80-year-olds aren't hooking up on Tinder and fussing about what their FWB's latest Facebook status means. It's more likely they're sharing some warm soup over a Matlock marathon.
Actually, tonight I will watch a 2005 DVD called "Wedding Crashers," probably a juvenile production, accompanied by two glasses of red wine and a couple of brews.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:05 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Actually, tonight I will watch a 2005 DVD called "Wedding Crashers," probably a juvenile production, accompanied by two glasses of red wine and a couple of brews.

Yes, very juvenile.

ain't it cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkzkmyOln6I

Old 11-28-2015, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 726 times
To Fleetiebelle, well it would've certainly been much easier finding love back then since Most women in those days were raised by very good parents which today their parents are very pathetic since their parents now are raising their children very Poorly. And today as you can see we are living in a completely different time when many women today are very Greedy And Selfish since they just Can't accept us men for who we really are which it is all about Money for them. And the women in the old days really had to Struggle along with their men to make ends meat which Both men and women in those days Didn't have a lot of Money at all which many women today have their Careers now which they really think their all that but their Not. A very good reason why our family members had it so much more easier back then finding love, and today finding love for many of us good single men is very hard which we really Can't blame ourselves since many of us are Not single by choice. Many women now want the Best and won't settle for Less. It is just too bad that we Don't have a real time machine to send many of these women back in time to see what it was really like.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:06 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABigChangeInWomenToday View Post
To Fleetiebelle, well it would've certainly been much easier finding love back then since Most women in those days were raised by very good parents which today their parents are very pathetic since their parents now are raising their children very Poorly. And today as you can see we are living in a completely different time when many women today are very Greedy And Selfish since they just Can't accept us men for who we really are which it is all about Money for them. And the women in the old days really had to Struggle along with their men to make ends meat which Both men and women in those days Didn't have a lot of Money at all which many women today have their Careers now which they really think their all that but their Not. A very good reason why our family members had it so much more easier back then finding love, and today finding love for many of us good single men is very hard which we really Can't blame ourselves since many of us are Not single by choice. Many women now want the Best and won't settle for Less. It is just too bad that we Don't have a real time machine to send many of these women back in time to see what it was really like.

Another banned poster reincarnated.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:11 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post

Examples:

"a/s/l?"
"Netflix and chill?"
"hi"
Truth! The worst is when someone is texting or busy on their phone when we are out doing something. Lol at them missing life as it passes them by!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships