Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:59 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
And what can you tell?

I ask seriously. I'm not the best judge of character and astuteness is not one of my strengths.
Shucks. You can tell all kinds of things, such as if her money is new or old--or if she has much at all, what her personality is, if she's confident about herself as a person, if she's trying to hard to not look her age, if she's working too hard to get attention...the list just goes on and on.

Don't take my word for it. Next time you're with a bunch of women and a totally new woman enters the room, watch what they do. They scan the new woman from head to toe in about two seconds and categorize her instantly. Some are a little more harsh than others, but it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 08:01 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Shucks. You can tell all kinds of things, such as if her money is new or old--or if she has much at all, what her personality is, if she's confident about herself as a person, if she's trying to hard to not look her age, if she's working too hard to get attention...the list just goes on and on.

Don't take my word for it. Next time you're with a bunch of women and a totally new woman enters the room, watch what they do. They scan the new woman from head to toe in about two seconds and categorize her instantly. Some are a little more harsh than others, but it happens.
Oh I know quite well women judge other women harshly, usually far more than we men do.

I see, I see, thanks. I only wish I were more astute. Hasn't helped me that I'm not "sharp" in this sense.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:27 AM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Do you guys pay attention to that?
Interesting question. I have a ring that I bought a few years ago, in NYC. It's very special to me as I don't really own much good jewelry, and I don't like showy stuff. This ring has diamonds, but it's a band with inlaid baguettes...really very striking and different, but understated. When I bought it, they sized it to fit my left ring finger, but it also fit my right. I would wear it on either one. Today, about 3 years later, it no longer fits on my right finger without some some effort - it's not my weight, it's my knuckle. So when I wear it, it's on my left hand. I went out of town on a conference a couple of years ago and a couple of guys at work were saying - "don't wear that ring - you'll never pick up anyone!" And later I asked a guy friend of mine about the ring, if it would keep him away, and he said absolutely. Wouldn't touch me with a 10 foot pole. So...I still wear the ring. But I suppose I should give some thought to having it resized next time I'm up in the big Apple. Thanks for the insight.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:45 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
I notice but a lot of guy don't even notice when their own wife gets her hair done! LOL...so you can't generalize. some do, some don't. some care, some won't.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:32 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaicheg View Post
Well, if there is no other rational explanation, if the lost ring phenomenon is clearly related to you, I'd say that's a signal of some sort. Probably mating call, my first guess. I think "gee, what's happening to your wedding ring" is question benign enough to ask casually but that would show your interest and awareness of the signal which may clear things up or stir things up, for better or for worse.
It's not my gig -- just a phenomenon I've noticed around friends. That's why I wondered if people use the wedding band as some sort of signal to each other. I'm not married, not part of the "club," so to speak. I do think it's fascinating and rather funny, though.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:47 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
You mean if it's scratching my back or something?
Just joking, just joking!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:49 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
yes and am astounded by the behavior i am seeing when they do have one.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:05 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You mean if it's scratching my back or something?
Just joking, just joking!
ROFLMAO!!!

Old 04-13-2009, 12:17 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Absolutely. It means I won't be wasting my time.

Why are you asking - are you thinking of "losing" the band (temporarily) to see what extra attention it might bring? LOL.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

Why are you asking - are you thinking of "losing" the band (temporarily) to see what extra attention it might bring? LOL.
I don't need anymore attention.

Besides, I LOVE my rings. I won't leave the house without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships