Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Yeah anything that involves the word "Sex" is a taboo and we can not openly talk about it. Then, if it's combined with the word "Abuse" it's sure to get buried. I wonder if they are more open in other western countries.
I think the 1 in 3 woman and 1 in 7 men is probably right on. It's our societal view on it that keeps in buried and "Bad". My take is: "It happens, it's all over, burying it helps no one, deal with it"
Not only that, but a lot of family and friends of survivor deny it. When I told my family that I was sexually abused, they denied it and gave me excuses like "women can't rape" instead of being a source of support. I was 14 when I told them. Unfortunately that is really common. The communities of survivors don't want to believe something so horrible happened to someone they love that they deny it or excuse it. Of course that is the very last thing any survivor needs to hear, but it sets the trend for being secretive. I was ashamed to tell anyone about anything until a few months ago. I let my ex abuse me physically without telling a soul. People saw the bite marks and even I would tell them excuses like "oh, a dog bit me" cause I was too ashamed to come out about it. That's the saddest part--there are so many survivors walking around in silence, because abuse and lack of support from family/friends creates a sense of shame. People have no idea how common abuse is because so many people are hiding their truth from others or themselves. That's exactly why I'm so open about the abuse I've been through, even on these forums and everything, cause I'm tired of people keeping it hidden. I hope that this post will encourage other people to come out as survivors so that we can realize that we are not alone, and that we can go on to have successful lives and relationships!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 03:14 PM

31,048 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
That's exactly why I'm so open about the abuse I've been through, even on these forums and everything, cause I'm tired of people keeping it hidden. I hope that this post will encourage other people to come out as survivors so that we can realize that we are not alone, and that we can go on to have successful lives and relationships!
Congratulations on the move to take back control of your life and move forward.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 04-26-2012 at 03:50 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 08:18 PM

31,048 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
Interesting take. Yesterday I was reading a thread about guys with ED and how women wouldnt be interested in having anything to do with them. Im sure all those poor souls, simply wished for it. DOuble standards make me ill.
ED? That's not damaged goods that's a damaged package

Old 04-26-2012, 08:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
When I told my family that I was sexually abused, they denied it and gave me excuses like "women can't rape" instead of being a source of support.
Well, most guys this age (or any age for that matter) don't consider themselves being "raped"... They consider themselves lucky. However, you did mention you were in a same-sex relationship, so perhaps it feels different to you.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, most guys this age (or any age for that matter) don't consider themselves being "raped"... They consider themselves lucky. However, you did mention you were in a same-sex relationship, so perhaps it feels different to you.
It's not about the sex of the offender or the survivor, and it's not about their sexual orientation either. Rape is about violating someone and robbing them of their very sense of self. Men can rape men, women can rape women, men can rape women, and women can rape men. Straight men rape men, straight women rape women, etc. It's not about sexual orientation. Just because a woman rapes a man, doesn't make the survivor "lucky"--if it's not consensual, it's rape, period. For what it's worth, I'm biologically female, and I was sexually abused by both sexes, and it didn't feel good in either case. It has nothing to do with being straight or gay.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
It's not about the sex of the offender or the survivor, and it's not about their sexual orientation either. Rape is about violating someone and robbing them of their very sense of self. Men can rape men, women can rape women, men can rape women, and women can rape men. Straight men rape men, straight women rape women, etc. It's not about sexual orientation. Just because a woman rapes a man, doesn't make the survivor "lucky"--if it's not consensual, it's rape, period. For what it's worth, I'm biologically female, and I was sexually abused by both sexes, and it didn't feel good in either case. It has nothing to do with being straight or gay.
Oh, sorry, I thought you were a guy. English has so many redundant words and yet it doesn't have enough necessary words.

I don't agree with all of the above, though. No red-blooded man (particularly this age) would ever consider this rape. Post a poll and see.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Oh, sorry, I thought you were a guy. English has so many redundant words and yet it doesn't have enough necessary words.

I don't agree with all of the above, though. No red-blooded man (particularly this age) would ever consider this rape. Post a poll and see.
Maybe you wouldn't, but a lot of people would. Do some research on rape, sierra. For your own benefit.

Non-consensual sex is rape. It has nothing to do with the sexes of the people involved.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Maybe you wouldn't, but a lot of people would. Do some research on rape, sierra. For your own benefit.

Non-consensual sex is rape. It has nothing to do with the sexes of the people involved.
OK. Tell that to every horny male high-schooler who hopes and prays to be "raped" by a woman.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
OK. Tell that to every horny male high-schooler who hopes and prays to be "raped" by a woman.
It's not just for high schoolers. However, their aim has to be good.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
The reason the "raped" is in quotes is because they pray to have sex with a woman. They want a woman to want them badly, but even that desire right there makes it consensual, and therefore, by definition, not rape.

I was 6 when I was first raped--as in it was against my will. I didn't secretly want it. I didn't want it, period. I know I'm a girl, but even if I was a boy, would you assume that I enjoyed it just cause I was a boy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships