Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:09 AM

635 posts, read 1,686,681 times

Advertisements

When I single, me and my sis had neighbors that used to throw down like they were training wild horses in an aluminum shed! Next morning, full of twinkles and "hellos". It was confusing at first - no one had bruises or anything. Then one evening, we could actually hear what was being said because their bathroom window was open, horrible name calling, nasty words, threats, stuff being thrown, tussling. So we called 911. Police came, talked to them and that was that. Next morning they came over and apologized very nicely and talked for awhile ... weird. Few months later, again ... we called 911 again because they had started up again. Turns out she was beating the daylights out of her husband ... craaazy. We thought it was the other way around, until one evening, we actually went outside our townhouse to listen better before we called the police - we walk outside and he's outside smoking a cigarette. She's inside screaming like he's hitting her??? There was noone in there! But we didn't know and didn't want to take a chance so we always called 911. Eventually they got so many complaints they had to move out. They said they were moving because they needed more 'space'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 10:35 AM

657 posts, read 1,600,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayato View Post
I called the cops 2x now when neighbors were fighting outside their house and things got physical. the last time the guy(chinese) was cuffed and brought to the station
out of curiosity.. how is specifying the man's race in that comment in ANY WAY relevant or productive in this thread?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:52 AM

200 posts, read 1,067,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
out of curiosity.. how is specifying the man's race in that comment in ANY WAY relevant or productive in this thread?
I am asian(FOB) and I dont follow the black and white rules. I dont follow many PC rules. I'm the funniest guy in the office because I can play dumb about religion, race and sexual orientation for a moment because i'm FOB. it will take a generation to correct this.

I actually want to say I live in an asian community in Houston. Personally I find it surprising that FOB asians would take their fights in plain sight.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:33 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
I ignore it.

My main concern is navigating through the world without getting caught up in stuff like this.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayato View Post
I am asian(FOB) and I dont follow the black and white rules. I dont follow many PC rules. I'm the funniest guy in the office because I can play dumb about religion, race and sexual orientation for a moment because i'm FOB. it will take a generation to correct this.

I actually want to say I live in an asian community in Houston. Personally I find it surprising that FOB asians would take their fights in plain sight.
Sorry, but what does FOB mean?

Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Sorry, but what does FOB mean?
Good question, I am wondering the same.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:53 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
If it's the same as when I was in high school, FOB means Fresh Off the Boat. It refers to someone who is first generation here, i.e., a new immigrant.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:33 PM

Oh, ok! Thanks.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
When I single, me and my sis had neighbors that used to throw down like they were training wild horses in an aluminum shed! Next morning, full of twinkles and "hellos". It was confusing at first - no one had bruises or anything. Then one evening, we could actually hear what was being said because their bathroom window was open, horrible name calling, nasty words, threats, stuff being thrown, tussling. So we called 911. Police came, talked to them and that was that. Next morning they came over and apologized very nicely and talked for awhile ... weird. Few months later, again ... we called 911 again because they had started up again. Turns out she was beating the daylights out of her husband ... craaazy. We thought it was the other way around, until one evening, we actually went outside our townhouse to listen better before we called the police - we walk outside and he's outside smoking a cigarette. She's inside screaming like he's hitting her??? There was noone in there! But we didn't know and didn't want to take a chance so we always called 911. Eventually they got so many complaints they had to move out. They said they were moving because they needed more 'space'?

I know of more men who admitted to being physically abused than I know of women. I think more men get hit because for one reason, society thinks it's funny when they are hit and punched by women, society doesn't think a woman slugging a man is a big deal because people think he can easily stop an attack. Another reason is that men are probably more reluctant to seek help and maybe they need emotional help as much as women in order to leave such a relationship.

Prime time should have a special on men getting whacked around in a park by women.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:33 AM

960 posts, read 1,163,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if its physical dial 911. if not move on.
I agree. Too many good samaritans get injured or become liable to take any chance on getting involved other than calling authorities. The only "hidden camera" thing like that I've seen that I'd do something is the one where the baby is left alone in the hot car. Everyone stands around complaining, when the proper thing to do is break the window furthest from the baby, give the baby to someone else and run like mad to avoid any liability. Nowadays you'd have to keep your head down in case there's a surveillance camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships