Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:41 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What do you think about people who never get married, by choice? Stats show this is an increasing trend. I don't know many people who actually remain single forever but apprently there are plenty of them out there. I say live and let live but in reality a lot of people are hostile toward this choice and view it as an assault on marriage or convince themselves the single person must be defective.
I've married before.

Not sure, if I want to marry again. I'm not going to say no to it. Not hoping it would happen. I'm happy in my life and date on occasion.

Society tell us we should get married at some point. If not, you're a loser.

A women 35+ will get the "you not married yet" questions. People will think you're lesbian, a man hater or difficult.

A men 38+ will get the "when are you going to grow up" questions. People will think he's gay, women hater or shallow.

Hello, marriage isn't the end all to be all. If you're married and you love it, then that's fine. If someone is single and have been for years, then that's fine too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 11:18 AM

77 posts, read 151,869 times
If one is a man and doesn't get married, he's smart enough to see the drawbacks of getting married. Some of those include unfair legal burdens after divorce such as spousal support, etc and the overall risk of failure of marriage. According to one known comedian, if you were skydiving and they tell you the parachute will open 50% of the time, will you take the plunge? Some might argue this to be a wrong analogy for marriage, of course.
If one is a woman I don't see any drawbacks to getting married, aside from being faithful to one person and having less overall freedom. If they're divorced, they usually get the children, child support, sometimes alimony.
Today, the marriage rates are declining because of the unfair disadvantages to men outlined above. Also, usually the declining marriage rates just translate into higher rates of cohabitation instead of people becoming single. I propose we will soon see laws that address this and make cohabitation the new marriage, giving both a similar legal protection and regulation. For more details, search common law marriage.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:23 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artikk View Post
If one is a man and doesn't get married, he's smart enough to see the drawbacks of getting married. Some of those include unfair legal burdens after divorce such as spousal support, etc and the overall risk of failure of marriage. According to one known comedian, if you were skydiving and they tell you the parachute will open 50% of the time, will you take the plunge? Some might argue this to be a wrong analogy for marriage, of course.
If one is a woman I don't see any drawbacks to getting married, aside from being faithful to one person and having less overall freedom. If they're divorced, they usually get the children, child support, sometimes alimony.
Today, the marriage rates are declining because of the unfair disadvantages to men outlined above. Also, usually the declining marriage rates just translate into higher rates of cohabitation instead of people becoming single. I propose we will soon see laws that address this and make cohabitation the new marriage, giving both a similar legal protection and regulation. For more details, search common law marriage.
This isn't true all the time. The state of marriage has changed. Most women are earning more than men. More and more men are asking for ailmony. The tables are turning my friend. Also, some women are giving their children to the hubs and paying or not paying child support.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:20 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What do you think about people who never get married, by choice? Stats show this is an increasing trend. I don't know many people who actually remain single forever but apprently there are plenty of them out there. I say live and let live but in reality a lot of people are hostile toward this choice and view it as an assault on marriage or convince themselves the single person must be defective.
I think good for them. They know what they want (or don't want) and buck the useless crap that is social expectation and tradition.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:11 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,472 times
I am of the opinion that they should just do away with the institution of marriage. I am married and I really don't see a point of having this label (or not having this label). It changes nothing. Maybe people are starting to see it for what it is.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:15 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
People can get hostile over the darnest things. Too bad for them. In my late 20s, I'd decided after divorcing my abusive exhusband that I would never marry again. If a woman can support herself, and doesn't want children, I reasoned there was no advantage over marriage. It lasted ten years. I had a wonderful time.

Then I met DH, and my single days were over.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:25 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
I respect people who never want to get married and realize this early in life. I respect them for the same reasons I respect people who never have kids. Think about how many horrible parents there are out there and how many failed marriages. All of those people married and/or had kids and lived to regret it.

The people who know themselves well enough to realize they'd make a lousy life-long mate are people I'm really drawn to. They are probably smart, savvy, self-assured and know what they want. All good things.

The people I don't respect are immature Bozos who marry someone at 19 because they have a crush on them or just have a sexual attraction. They will be divorced by the next year.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:27 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Why should I get married? I didn't do anything wrong.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:42 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
This is a person's right, with the divorce rate being as high as it is today, i don't blame some people. Hollyweird Celebrities are a good example no matter how beautiful a women is or handsome a Man is, and all the money in the world, fancy cars, mansions, over seas vacations, yact parties etc etc etc, still does not keep these Marriages together.
Some people are happy being with someone without the paper, does the paper really make a difference, in how one is treated, i believe it is more for protection.

I have a very happy marriage, but who says you don't have to work at it, yes you do, it is give and take, and all too often today, couples don't want to give, just take, then you have communication problems, then usually it is too late.

People have a right to be happy no matter if staying single or being with someone without a marriage certificate, or taking that beautiful plunge and getting married. I believe you can be happy without children, look at the children today, who have the worse parents in the world, or parents who end up killing there children. Happiness first and foremost comes from within, you can have the beautiful family with children, gorgeous house or houses, fancy cars, nice trips, fancy fancy clothing jewels, but if not happy from within for what ever reason, this marriage won't save you.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:08 AM

292 posts, read 635,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Those are the ones who spend their lives posting on the personals being picky on just about every single detail concerning a prospective partner.
That too! Some of the "requirements" are beyond unreasonable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships