Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 03:28 PM

900 posts, read 1,702,256 times

Advertisements

If you were interested in a married woman who became divorced, yet decided to keep her spouse as a roommate, would you bother going out with her or would you think there is something inappropriate about her living arrangement? (No immediate plans to have the stbx move out even when divorce is final as long as he pays his rent.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 03:35 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Why would two people get divorced yet continue to live together?

Old 04-18-2009, 03:35 PM

49 posts, read 200,446 times
I doubt you're in my age group, but I'll answer anyway.

Imagine how awkward and stressful it would be to come over to your date's house and their ex is there. Now imagine they live there all the time. You can never have a "sleepover", they share the same kitchen and living room, etc.

I think it would require a man of extreme patience and tolerance. Or you would have to keep your entire relationship at his house or neutral ground.

This is a very sticky situation, but I hope something works out for you.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:39 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Ewww....yeah. Awkward!

Old 04-18-2009, 03:40 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
That situation sounds like a premise for a tv sitcom! Is this you or a purely a hypothetical situation? Are you sharing some fabulously cheap NYC rent control apartment? I suppose a prospective suitor might be reassured if he could meet the exhubbie and get the vibes that the whole arrangement was cool with him. And better yet if the exhubbie already had a girlfriend that he could meet.

A few months ago, there was a thread about a woman dating a man that was living with his baby momma. Any situation can work as long as everyone is mature about it and all the previous love feelings are long gone.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:46 PM

300 posts, read 735,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
That situation sounds like a premise for a tv sitcom!
... or a slasher flick...

Old 04-18-2009, 03:47 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Is this a purely financial arrangement? If so, OK.
If you can go out for a beer with the ex-husband and he's not territorial about the ex-wife, then no problem.
Have sex at your place.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:54 PM

300 posts, read 735,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Is this a purely financial arrangement? If so, OK.
No! It's not ok. Agreements is logical, but just so often human mind defies all logic. I wouldn't dare to walk into a trap like this even wearing full body kevlar suit. Having dealt with exes of all kinds, even years after the other relationship broke, there is some fuming, venting and sparkling. Never know how many megatons of emotions are dormant beneath...

Last edited by zaicheg; 04-18-2009 at 04:16 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Why would two people get divorced yet continue to live together?
because of hard economic times and we have a dog (my dog) that we love like a child, I also have cats and he helps me when I am at working caring for them and taking the dog to the park so I don't have to feel guilty about not doing so. (Not at all a fan of exercise)
He also stays because it is close to his job, I am happy to get the help with the yard work and extra money. We actually get along a lot better now that we know we're getting divorced. I don't care what he does so Im not stressed out about it. (Comes home late, maybe he's gambing, I don't care, he can open a credit card and max it out once we're divorced for all I care.) He's rather room with me than someone from his work. I am good to live with.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrister85 View Post
I doubt you're in my age group, but I'll answer anyway.

Imagine how awkward and stressful it would be to come over to your date's house and their ex is there. Now imagine they live there all the time. You can never have a "sleepover", they share the same kitchen and living room, etc.

I think it would require a man of extreme patience and tolerance. Or you would have to keep your entire relationship at his house or neutral ground.

This is a very sticky situation, but I hope something works out for you.
Yes, this will be strange, right now it's like don't bring a woman / man here. Eventually , if one of us meets someone else we really like, we may have to change things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships