Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2011, 04:59 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Why isn't is possible? Look at the old-time movie stars. I'll name three for the sake of this discussion. Here are their heights and weights in 1935 and then 25 years later, when they were all older or middle aged they weighed the identical same weight:

Jimmy Stewart: 6'3, 150 pounds
Henry Fonda 6'1 155 pounds
Gary Cooper 6'3 160 pounds

They maintained their weight. If it's "possible" for them, then it's possible for any other mere mortal.

It's an absolute myth that "people naturally gain weight as they age." This has only been true in the post-WWII generation. In the 16th-19th century, most people were within 5 pounds of their weight at 60 that they weighed at 20.

Sure, someone at 50 needs to work their ass off with exercise to maintain the same weight they had at 20 (assuming they were thin then). It can be done, believe me.
LOL omg... people stop looking at history. Today is not the same as the 16-19th century, much less even 30 or 50 years ago.

The food we eat and where it comes from is not the same, the processing of food is not the same, the availability is not the same.

In the 16th-19th century people would starve to death because of famine while the rich became obese as a symbol of their wealth.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:37 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
LOL make sure it offers Zumba, that's what all the housewives are into these days.
Probably belongs on the exercise forum, but EVERY club seems to offer Zumba these days. Private clubs, park districts, even senior centers.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:09 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Why isn't is possible? Look at the old-time movie stars. I'll name three for the sake of this discussion. Here are their heights and weights in 1935 and then 25 years later, when they were all older or middle aged they weighed the identical same weight:

They maintained their weight. If it's "possible" for them, then it's possible for any other mere mortal.

It's an absolute myth that "people naturally gain weight as they age." This has only been true in the post-WWII generation. In the 16th-19th century, most people were within 5 pounds of their weight at 60 that they weighed at 20.

Sure, someone at 50 needs to work their ass off with exercise to maintain the same weight they had at 20 (assuming they were thin then). It can be done, believe me.
This might be true for some people- but it is certainly not true for all people. People's bodies change. I certainly don't have the same body I had at 20 - and this has nothing to do with weight - but the way my body has matured. And your metabolism does change. Some people can always eat whatever they want and not gain an ounce. Some people eat really healthy and are still overweight. You can't apply one set of rules to all individuals. And using actors as a guide isn't really that helpful. I'm a performer and feel an enormous amount of pressure in regards to what I look like. I did a show where I had to dance and sing in a bikini onstage - so of course I lost weight for that part. I worked out for 2 or 3 hours a day, danced at rehearsal for about 4 or 5 hours, then practiced my dances at home for another 1-2 hours. Of course I was thinner then! Normally, I don't have all day to spend working out and dancing - and getting paid to do that.

Some people are lucky and don't have to work that hard to maintain their normal size. Some people have a harder time with it. Some people are naturally disposed to be larger. Some people are naturally disposed to be smaller.

And like I said before - my love for my husband does not depend on his clothing size. If it's that important to you - that's fine. I'm happy with my marriage - if others are happy with theirs as well - that's great.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:31 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:

Are you on meds or something

They're fricking movie stars for Pete's sake. MOVIE STARS, and you expect them to pork out??

How about this? How about Hugh Jackman maintaining his weight for 10 more years, is that a surprise to us mere mortals??

Awesome examples. I'm impressed

Old 04-17-2011, 05:27 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
This might be true for some people- but it is certainly not true for all people. People's bodies change. I certainly don't have the same body I had at 20 - and this has nothing to do with weight - but the way my body has matured. And your metabolism does change. Some people can always eat whatever they want and not gain an ounce. Some people eat really healthy and are still overweight. You can't apply one set of rules to all individuals. And using actors as a guide isn't really that helpful. I'm a performer and feel an enormous amount of pressure in regards to what I look like. I did a show where I had to dance and sing in a bikini onstage - so of course I lost weight for that part. I worked out for 2 or 3 hours a day, danced at rehearsal for about 4 or 5 hours, then practiced my dances at home for another 1-2 hours. Of course I was thinner then! Normally, I don't have all day to spend working out and dancing - and getting paid to do that.

Some people are lucky and don't have to work that hard to maintain their normal size. Some people have a harder time with it. Some people are naturally disposed to be larger. Some people are naturally disposed to be smaller.

And like I said before - my love for my husband does not depend on his clothing size. If it's that important to you - that's fine. I'm happy with my marriage - if others are happy with theirs as well - that's great.
I just do not buy this argument! Sure things "fall" abit, but, your metabolism does not just go down with age. Metabolism decreases with muscle loss. If a person continues to maintain muscle by working out, the metabolism does not decline significantly.
I also believe that some people truely believe that they are eating "healthy", but are sometimes fooling themselves.

Also, if people would just incorporate extra activities into their daily lives, they would see a big difference in calorie expenditures. You know, the stuff people used to do, mow the lawn[not on a rider] rake leaves[don't blow them] walk up the stairs[not the escalator] park far out in a parking lot[instead of circling fo a stop in front] and the list could go on and on.
I just get so tired of hearing excuses. If I, as an almost 55 year old woman, going through menopause, having given birth to 3 kids AFTER the age of 40, can maintain my weight, why can't anyone else? It just takes wanting to! Exercise! Eat whole foods! Don't eat junk! Weight train in some way! Move your butt every chance you get!
It's not like I have tons of free time here either with 3 kids. I do not go to a gym. I head out my door to run or walk. I do push ups and pull ups. And, I do all the things I talked about above. I'm not trying to just toot my own horn here. I'm just making a point that if someone wants to maintain a certain weight, it's really not all that tricky!
The motivation for me, I guess, was wanting to stay healthy and alive for my 3 kids! I guess I'm lucky. Lucky is having the will to stay fit. No one is just lucky enough to never gain weight if they do nothing about it!

Old 04-17-2011, 05:48 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
I don't care for excuses either. It would be more honest to say I have not found my way yet.

People make it far more complex than it has to be for not getting fat.

Its really simple. Just don't overeat for your activity level.

Now in this modern age you can use the internet and phone to help you. Its not like you have to go to a club or a library or a doctor. Just google things on eating healthy and proper portions. Metabolism differences would not be enough to make you fat. You are just going to be on the thinner or thicker side of healthy.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:50 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Exercise! Eat whole foods! Don't eat junk! Weight train in some way! Move your butt every chance you get!
Anyone, at any age and of any gender, who does these things is going to maintain a healthy weight. Eating the right foods in the right proportions and doing about 25 minutes of weight training three to four times a week will make most people "Hollywood" or "1950" or "normal until the past 30 years" thin. Just eating the right foods in the right proportions will keep someone well within their ideal weight range. (They won't look toned though.) I know their are some people who are overweight for medical reasons or abnormally slow metabolisms or something like that, but that's probably less than 1 percent of people who are overweight. The sad thing is that many Americans (the majority of?) don't even know what a healthy diet is, much less eat one.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:13 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Anyone, at any age and of any gender, who does these things is going to maintain a healthy weight. Eating the right foods in the right proportions and doing about 25 minutes of weight training three to four times a week will make most people "Hollywood" or "1950" or "normal until the past 30 years" thin. Just eating the right foods in the right proportions will keep someone well within their ideal weight range. (They won't look toned though.) I know their are some people who are overweight for medical reasons or abnormally slow metabolisms or something like that, but that's probably less than 1 percent of people who are overweight. The sad thing is that many Americans (the majority of?) don't even know what a healthy diet is, much less eat one.
Yes. People always look like they want to cry when they see a "proper portion".
That goes for anyone of any weight that I ever had to explain my intake to.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:38 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
LOL omg... people stop looking at history. Today is not the same as the 16-19th century, much less even 30 or 50 years ago.

The food we eat and where it comes from is not the same, the processing of food is not the same, the availability is not the same.

In the 16th-19th century people would starve to death because of famine while the rich became obese as a symbol of their wealth.
Spot on.

It's definitely the American food. And the fast food culture in general. And the plethora of genetically engineered and processed food.

Back home in India, people actually eat more. Everything is fried. We take a heavy breakfast with fried items, lot of rice for lunch and fried items always accompany and the dinner is quite rich too. Rice abounds with curry and fried items like appalam, chips (naturally made, cutting potatoes and frying them at home) and eggs, then veggies made of different kind with all kinds of rich oil.

Yet, obesity is not a problem back home, given the amount of food people eat. I used to think it's the lifestyle and the heavy sun making people sweat and get calories out. But it still doesn't tally as to how people have such heavy calorie intake and still don't pork out (and Indians working out in India is unheard of, only movie stars, fashion models and sports folks even know about something called a gym)............... I am quite convinced it's the food stuff itself. People have never heard of processed foods, there are no cans, tins, sealed veggies and campbell soups, no msg, no sodium reduced blah blah blah........ grocery stores with aisles do not exist at large, barring the 4 metros.

People always get ingredients from farmer's markets and make food from scratch, it's home made food and it's not some evil corporation thrusting engineered food on the masses.

If Americans did the same, they won't be an obese society as today. And a fair share of the blame goes to Food Inc. I almost see a business nexus between Food Inc., Insurance Inc and Medical Inc. They are laughing all the way to the bank

Old 04-17-2011, 06:43 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Spot on.

It's definitely the American food. And the fast food culture in general. And the plethora of genetically engineered and processed food.

Back home in India, people actually eat more. Everything is fried. We take a heavy breakfast with fried items, lot of rice for lunch and fried items always accompany and the dinner is quite rich too. Rice abounds with curry and fried items like appalam, chips (naturally made, cutting potatoes and frying them at home) and eggs, then veggies made of different kind with all kinds of rich oil.

Yet, obesity is not a problem back home, given the amount of food people eat. I used to think it's the lifestyle and the heavy sun making people sweat and get calories out. But it still doesn't tally as to how people have such heavy calorie intake and still don't pork out (and Indians working out in India is unheard of, only movie stars, fashion models and sports folks even know about something called a gym)............... I am quite convinced it's the food stuff itself. People have never heard of processed foods, there are no cans, tins, sealed veggies and campbell soups, no msg, no sodium reduced blah blah blah........ grocery stores with aisles do not exist at large, barring the 4 metros.

People always get ingredients from farmer's markets and make food from scratch, it's home made food and it's not some evil corporation thrusting engineered food on the masses.

If Americans did the same, they won't be an obese society as today. And a fair share of the blame goes to Food Inc. I almost see a business nexus between Food Inc., Insurance Inc and Medical Inc. They are laughing all the way to the bank
People in India walk a lot and the food they eat are mostly vegetables. Vegetables are not as bad as a twinkie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships