Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 09:36 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Somehow many of them have the will to lose weight for their wedding pictures.
And many will find the will to lose weight after a divorce. Suddenly, it becomes not only possible but a priority for many, when faced with the desire to find a new relationship.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
And many will find the will to lose weight after a divorce. Suddenly, it becomes not only possible but a priority for many, when faced with the desire to find a new relationship.
I'm not saying I agree to the criticism, but this is just touche.

I've seen a ton of women in the gym who recounted that they started working out in the gym, after the divorce, like some form of revenge or to find a new guy.

Interesting

It's the post 35, divorced/single ladies who spend the "most" time in the gym.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:28 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'm not saying I agree to the criticism, but this is just touche.

I've seen a ton of women in the gym who recounted that they started working out in the gym, after the divorce, like some form of revenge or to find a new guy.

Interesting

It's the post 35, divorced/single ladies who spend the "most" time in the gym.
AC,

When was the last time you were in India? Times are changing.

AFP: Obesity, diabetes: expanding India faces big problem

We are exporting this crap.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:08 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
This is so true. Its great that they are working on bettering themselves but why didnt they think to do it before losing their spouse/S.O.?

Old 04-18-2011, 02:19 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
This is so true. Its great that they are working on bettering themselves but why didnt they think to do it before losing their spouse/S.O.?
Maybe the spouse was triggering the eating? Maybe they just didn't care because why would they for someone they don't really love anymore? Maybe spending time alone made them really see themselves for who they are and who they want to be? Theres so many reasons.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:33 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Don’t understand the pattern. You’ll have her working out daily, looking nice, etc. Marriage comes and those things are forgotten. No more gym, no more eating responsibly, etc. Then after divorce, she gets back in shape working out again, looking nice, being responsible with her diet, etc.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:40 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Don’t understand the pattern. You’ll have her working out daily, looking nice, etc. Marriage comes and those things are forgotten. No more gym, no more eating responsibly, etc. Then after divorce, she gets back in shape working out again, looking nice, being responsible with her diet, etc.
There's no particular pattern. I can think of several reasons why that scenario might happen:
  • Taking one's spouse for granted, or a passive-aggressive response to being taken for granted
  • The spouse was not supportive of a healthy lifestyle or promoted an unhealthy one

Old 04-18-2011, 02:41 PM

102 posts, read 170,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Maybe the spouse was triggering the eating? Maybe they just didn't care because why would they for someone they don't really love anymore? Maybe spending time alone made them really see themselves for who they are and who they want to be? Theres so many reasons.

Good point. Yes, it can become "what came first, the chicken or the egg?" Sometimes women who are emotionally abused or have husbands who withdraw turn to food for comfort. So, yes, I'm sure there are plenty of women who start their road to weight gain via this track.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:47 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
There's no particular pattern. I can think of several reasons why that scenario might happen:
  • Taking one's spouse for granted, or a passive-aggressive response to being taken for granted
  • The spouse was not supportive of a healthy lifestyle or promoted an unhealthy one
While studying outside my country and shared a flat, people around me ate, what I call, irresponsibly. Lots of fast food, instant soups, beers, no gym for them, etc. It was my very own desicion to either relax a bit and follow the same lifestyle or not. I am responsible for my very own actions. Don't see how I can justify myself for getting fat just because "others provoked me". I somehow find it a bit cheap for people to blame it on others for something like gaining weight. Heck, there are cases in the USA where fat people are suing fast food chain restaurants because of their obesity. Pointing their fingers at fast food instead of pointing the finger at their own mouth for putting all kinds of junk in it. Hhhhmmm Big Mac or Salad? Hhhhmmm Coke or a Tea? Hhhhmmm an hour or two at the gym or at the couch with the remote control? The deicision is ours.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:56 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
While studying outside my country and shared a flat, people around me ate, what I call, irresponsibly. Lots of fast food, instant soups, beers, no gym for them, etc. It was my very own desicion to either relax a bit and follow the same lifestyle or not. I am responsible for my very own actions. Don't see how I can justify myself for getting fat just because "others provoked me". I somehow find it a bit cheap for people to blame it on others for something like gaining weight. Heck, there are cases in the USA where fat people are suing fast food chain restaurants because of their obesity. Pointing their fingers at fast food instead of pointing the finger at their own mouth for putting all kinds of junk in it. Hhhhmmm Big Mac or Salad? Hhhhmmm Coke or a Tea? Hhhhmmm an hour or two at the gym or at the couch with the remote control? The deicision is ours.
I imagine that life as a single man is often very different from that of a working spouse and parent, so you have a different perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships