Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 06:10 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
My GF's 10 year old enjoys sports...he stays after school. And if really really wants to try other activities, he better be serious about it. We know a private and reliable cab driver who picks him up. We got rid of our cars to walk/bike more so we can easily afford it.

And what do you mean by nice evenings? I suppose your kids go to bed at a normal time. You should be able to go work out or do chores afterwards.

As for our baby being patient...30 seconds is not patience. It's the time it takes him to swallow/chew. You must have a very big house. We live in a downtown apartment and everything is only a few steps away.
There are no school-funded/sponsored sports for kids until you get to 7th grade here (yeah, don't get me started on that) so if they want to play sports, we have to pay for it and transport them ourselves. I am the cab driver.

My kids go to bed by 9pm. My point was not that I don't have time (I have said I stay home, so I do my chores in the daytime) but I can understand how working parents may feel the time crunch.

My house isn't huge, it's average for the area I live in, but the laundry is not downstairs. I also don't change the laundry over in 10 seconds because I hang dry a lot of what comes out of the washing machine.

I guess out of necessity you do chores while you feed the baby. For us, mealtime is family time. We sit down at the table and eat, and talk about the day, even when they were babies, they sat with us and ate when we did.

Like another poster said, you can't know what goes on in the household of every family. People live different lifestyles and you can't judge them based on your lifestyle. All I'm suggesting is that I can understand how it can be difficult for some people to find the time to workout (or recognize that they DO HAVE time to workout, sometimes you have to be a little creative with your time).

Old 04-21-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I expect that your idea of a clean house and housework, is considerably different than most of the women that I know, including myself.

As far as "throwing dinner in the oven", that's fine for a quick meal now and then, but as someone that often has 4 or 5 teenagers around to eat, I assure you that meal preparation takes up far more time at my house than at yours. I make my son's breakfast, AND his lunch (for him to take to school), every single morning. Is he able to do it himself? Of course, but he gets much better food from home and has always loved the fact that he has never had to buy lunch at school - so I do it for him. Dinners are often on the fly, but just as often, are homemade recipes that take far more than one hour to prepare. And cleanup takes another 30 minutes at least. Hell I probably spend 30 minutes on cleaning just the dishes and the sink area every single day. Who cleans your dishes - the kitchen fairy? You have an incredibly presumptuous attitude to imply that you know what is required to maintain someone else's home. Your post offers only that you don't have even a sliver of an idea of what people other than yourself deal with in that area.
Can't rep ya Chessie! I have to spread it around but well said!

Old 04-21-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
So so true. It's just me and my son, but with his school/workout/work clothes, and my workout clothes, we really have to do laundry twice a week. But at least now he does his own...so that's been a nice relief. I laughed at the comment about running out of sports bras. I think have about 8 now... ..I often hit the gym twice a day (it's easier for me to just go to the gym at lunchtime for my cardio, and then go after work for the other stuff) and still sometimes I am fishing around for a clean one.
LOL, I have a bunch but when I run or do plyo/cardio I HAVE to double up. I can't stand that sensation of my boobs bouncing all over the place, plus I hate the way it looks when I see other runners that don't have enough support, so tacky!

Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
Laundry is time consuming? Are you doing it by hand in a dirty river like in third world countries?

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm trying to figure out why people say chores eat up a lot of their time.
Laundry isn't time consuming when someone else does it for me. Or when it's done the way I do it.

Here, we have a washer and dryer. Used to be I'd have to go to a coin op. Didn't do it at home. If I was going to "do laundry", I'd have to take it to the laundromat and sit around and wait for everything to wash and dry.

Now, I throw a load in, check on it 30-60 minutes later, throw it in the dryer for an hour, then I take the clean, dry clothes and toss them in a pile on the floor. Laundry done.

If I actually took the time to immediately hang them up or put them into drawers, it would take me a much longer time. I usually don't bother doing laundry until I have a full load. No need wasting the water and soap on a small load, fill 'er up.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:10 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
I expect that your idea of a clean house and housework, is considerably different than most of the women that I know, including myself.

As far as "throwing dinner in the oven", that's fine for a quick meal now and then, but as someone that often has 4 or 5 teenagers around to eat, I assure you that meal preparation takes up far more time at my house than at yours. I make my son's breakfast, AND his lunch (for him to take to school), every single morning. Is he able to do it himself? Of course, but he gets much better food from home and has always loved the fact that he has never had to buy lunch at school - so I do it for him. Dinners are often on the fly, but just as often, are homemade recipes that take far more than one hour to prepare. And cleanup takes another 30 minutes at least. Hell I probably spend 30 minutes on cleaning just the dishes and the sink area every single day. Who cleans your dishes - the kitchen fairy? You have an incredibly presumptuous attitude to imply that you know what is required to maintain someone else's home. Your post offers only that you don't have even a sliver of an idea of what people other than yourself deal with in that area.
ChessieMom,

Good point. Vascular surgeons and someone working the fry station may work "full time". Why is "homemaker" any more descriptive about what is really going on at home than working "full time". Some "homemakers" just sling hash while others are domestic engineers.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:43 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
When i was 8, i had my first job, a newspaper route with the "Milwaukee Journal", in WI.
Cool! You did it on bicycle? I was around 10 when I started working in a relative’s shop. I would be told to do some cleaning, arranging the merchandise, etc. My parents would pay me, not the owner of the store. It was just to show me the value of money, work principles, etc. At that age I would also contribute to house expenses, you know, basic stuff like maybe buying eggs and milk, etc.

Quote:
My kids make their beds and pick up their rooms. They also scoop the poop -cat and dog (hey I'm not stupid, I hate that chore!) feed the dog and cats, and do a general pick-up when I tell them to, take out the trash when they are home, clear their own breakfast and dinner plates and they do yard work with us. I don't require they do any other chores currently. They have enough on their plates with school and sports and they need some free time too
You and your husband also need some free time, why not? Distributing house chores among family members lessens the work.

Quote:
I don't pick up their things. They know if they leave their things laying around, they can check the garbage for whatever it is they lost. Sounds mean but I got tired of putting their stuff away
Naaah, doesn’t sound mean. You’re just putting your foot down telling them “this is how we do things in this house” pretty much. You are the authority, not them. Of course, everybody has their style of saying things and making their point across. My parents would do something similar long time ago before I left for college.

Quote:
I do agree with you though...when I worked we split most things equally.
Cool. It makes sense to do so.

Quote:
Well, going TO a gym can be a challenge sometimes but you don't need fancy gym equipment to get an effective workout
That’s right. You can have your own gym in the garage with the basics. There are many good workouts on DVD/BluRay as well that are supposed to work pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I think it actually ticks off some of the more sanctimonious people here that there are people who have partners who love them literally through thick and through thin. They just cannot stand that others can have their cake and be loved, too
You bet they are loved through THICK. There are all kinds of relationships out there and couples do as they see fit. Many would think it is crazy for a woman to be with a guy who stays home all day and doesn’t do much. She would be told immediately to get rid of that good-for-nothing guy but she might come back saying she loves that man no matter what and many won’t like it, right? As for the wife being fat, nobody is saying they should love their wife more or less. We’re just talking about putting some effort to burn all that fat. Besides, you are doing yourself good. Not only will you be more healthy but also looking good.

If people simply don’t want to be healthy and in shape, no problem, it’s their choice. But to say that it is completely impossible to spend only 30 to 60 minutes a day burning that fat, I am not sure. More time is spent participating in forums, checking out their social network, finishing that pint of ice cream, etc. After seeing all excuses to not put a small effort to hit the gym, no wonder obesity is such a problem in the USA.

If there is a will, there is a way.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Is he able to do it himself? Of course, but he gets much better food from home and has always loved the fact that he has never had to buy lunch at school - so I do it for him...I probably spend 30 minutes on cleaning just the dishes and the sink area every single day. Who cleans your dishes - the kitchen fairy?
How about telling your son to wash the dishes? Those more than 30 minutes you would spend washing dishes can be spent on that aerobics DVD . Think of other chores you can distribute and not only will you have time to exercise but to simply relax .

Old 04-21-2011, 10:56 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
How about telling your son to wash the dishes? Those more than 30 minutes you would spend washing dishes can be spent on that aerobics DVD . Think of other chores you can distribute and not only will you have time to exercise but to simply relax .
You're advising ChessiesMom to use an aerobics DVD? The woman is in great shape and works out all the time. Likewise, you tell Justthe6ofus how to organize her time ... the woman follows 90X, a daily regime. You are too quick to judge people, or you don't read everything they post.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:09 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Oh my god.....not overeating does not take up ANY extra time. I mean really people.....

And yet people are still talking about how they don't have time like they have to be some idealist gym rat....

This makes me so annoyed because of the responses. People would rather spend time saying "i don't have time" and just leave it at that. WTF?

Is it really that time consuming to not overeat? Please someone explain that to me. I really want to know what is so time consuming or hard about not overeating.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You're advising ChessiesMom to use an aerobics DVD? The woman is in great shape and works out all the time. Likewise, you tell Justthe6ofus how to organize her time ... the woman follows 90X, a daily regime. You are too quick to judge people, or you don't read everything they post.
Judging her? I am not saying she was fat and, besides, people don’t need to be slender to stop living healthy. How about you? Do you eat healthy and exercise as well or you don't have time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships