Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:20 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

I think people come to realize that working really hard to get ahead in your career or get lots of money does come with some sacrifice. For me, it was family milestones, starting my own family, relationships, losing contact with friends. It happens. Of course, I had a light at the end of the tunnel; now I have plenty of time for everyone b/c I have achieved my career goals.

Don't worry about the dating. If you are focused on your career right now, I would wonder if you could even give enough time to a relationship (should you find someone you'd want one with while you were going on the sporadic date).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 11:41 PM

918 posts, read 1,643,007 times
Interesting posts....

Thanks for the input all.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:52 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfish34ren View Post
Hey again all, back from the dead....

So, I've been putting in a lot of time at work when I went back (those that remember my story know what I mean). So much so, that I have gotten promoted a few times and run the location I'm at (and have the 100%+ salary boost to go with it).

Well, with all this time spent... I have ZERO time for a relationship. I am more focused on getting my career where I want it, and having fun with the little free time I have. A relationship can come later.

Anyone else been in this boat before? Is it wrong?

Is it possible to balance it all?

It's probably more likely that I simply do not care about it right now heh.

Hope you all are well!
as for the been in this boat, etc. part-- yes, absolutely.
although it might not be the same for you, one prob I've had is that individuals wished to (or demanded to) monopolize my time-- taking time away from my work, family, & other focal points of my life. this included "control-freaks" and also individuals who were essentially "idle."
you should do what's best for what's important to you at this point in your life.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Whoa.....wait a second...do you REALLY think online dating is safe?
Yes, I do think it is safe. I have done it and live to talk about it. I am also alive, fortunately, to tell the horror stories of the men I have met offline.

Have you done it? If so, did you get hurt? If not, how can you attest to something you have never done?

Quote:
And...if you are not interested in dating then why are you on the online dating sites waiting for the "mail to pour in"....?
I didn't say I wasn't interesting in dating. I said I wasn't interested in spending all my free time with someone.

Quote:
Although online dating works for some folks, it isn't for everyone....
No, it isn't for everyone. Who's to say it isn't for him? That's his decision, it was just a suggestion.

Quote:
I know this is a different subject; however, I personally would NEVER recommend online dating to a busy, successful person let alone anyone who has tons of free time...just too dangerous.
It has worked well for me so I am in a position to recommend it. How does success, no time or all the time in the world preclude one from being of benefit to online dating?

Old 05-11-2009, 12:23 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:

So, I've been putting in a lot of time at work when I went back (those that remember my story know what I mean). So much so, that I have gotten promoted a few times and run the location I'm at (and have the 100%+ salary boost to go with it).

Well, with all this time spent... I have ZERO time for a relationship. I am more focused on getting my career where I want it, and having fun with the little free time I have. A relationship can come later.

Hope you all are well!
ZERO time. Sounds familiar territory. I was accused of being a corporate sell-out.

But my foe is different. It's not my work, coz I've managed to strike a balance.

The econ stomped me off my feet. I promised someone I'll get back when the financial sector picks up, but it seems like a distant future. I've also toyed with the evil idea that she'll get laid off, so I can impress upon her to nomad with me. But that was selfish of me, and she's very career-obsessed as well.

I could have stayed back to run a few months unemployed, for the sake of love. But, career first. No career, no life, mate.

You're right on target. Career is key

Old 05-11-2009, 04:14 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:

Hope you all are well!
Go for what you care about right now. As the saying goes "If you chase two rabbits, you lose them both.". If you're happy doing the things you're doing, then keep doing them. There's no law that says you need to be in or even want a relationship. Maybe you will in time, maybe you won't. Doesn't matter. You are free to do what you want to do.

Ivory

Old 05-11-2009, 06:42 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Go for what you care about right now. As the saying goes "If you chase two rabbits, you lose them both.". If you're happy doing the things you're doing, then keep doing them. There's no law that says you need to be in or even want a relationship. Maybe you will in time, maybe you won't. Doesn't matter. You are free to do what you want to do.

Ivory

Don't worry be happy

Old 05-11-2009, 06:43 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Welcome back! I think that you are doing just great. There is no need to always be in a relationship. Life is really not all about romance and procreation. I think that having romance is more like the icing on the cake. Plus, the happier, more productive and complete you are as a person, the better a s/o you will attract. In fact, now that you are not searching for love, a whole bunch of great guys are going to be attracted to you!

Well said, and excellent post! I agree wholeheartidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships