Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:33 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious as to what you guys think about the advice the counselor is giving my husband and myself (back in counseling and, I guess, dating for the moment - he does not want a divorce).

The counselors advice is that our relationship be platonic for now. He says that sex can really mess things up when you're trying to work through emotional issues. What do you think of the counselor's advice?

I'm curious because some here have posted they wouldn't date someone for three weeks if the didn't have sex with them and it looks like we're in for several months IF we make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 08:53 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
Your counselor is spot-on. The feelings of sex can be confused with genuine emotion. Because women intertwine sex and love, this situation is better for you. In order to determine how you really feel, you have to be identify how you feel, not how good is the sex. If your husband really wants to make the marriage work, he'll be okay with creating (or re-creating) a genuine connection that has nothing to do with sex.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:02 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
In some cases, it might be helpful. Especially if you use sex to solve problems in the relationship. It's only three weeks. It's not like you're going on a hunger strike.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:03 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
I think it's a great idea, for the same reasons CES posted.

Now, if I could just have a platonic relationship with my husband I'd be a happy camper!

Old 04-25-2009, 09:37 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The counselors advice is that our relationship be platonic for now. He says that sex can really mess things up when you're trying to work through emotional issues. What do you think of the counselor's advice?
Sounds reasonable to me. You presumably have some trust and confidence in the counselor; absent some good reason, I'd go with his/her advice.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Sounds reasonable to me. You presumably have some trust and confidence in the counselor; absent some good reason, I'd go with his/her advice.
Yes, I trust this counselor. He's the one who told me not to let my husband move back in in the first place He said this would happen. I think I was too eager to get the kids out of limbo before. I figured if we were working on our relationship it didn't matter if it was under one roof or two. So we'll take his advice and work on a platonic relationship for the next several months.

So far, this counselor (specializes in relationships) been right on all counts. Affairs aren't something that go away just because you want them to. They have a way of repeating like a bad meal. Every time you turn around there's this awful aftertaste and it gets hard to get it to go away.

Too bad you can't just have your memories wiped .

Old 04-25-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I think it's a great idea, for the same reasons CES posted.

Now, if I could just have a platonic relationship with my husband I'd be a happy camper!

I could recommend our counselor

Old 04-25-2009, 01:29 PM

300 posts, read 735,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Weird. Then why in the world you are still married, too busy to go ahead and cut the knot or something? Too big of a knot to cut?

Old 04-25-2009, 01:31 PM

300 posts, read 735,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm just curious as to what you guys think about the advice the counselor is giving my husband and myself (back in counseling and, I guess, dating for the moment - he does not want a divorce).
For an intention of giving that failed marriage one finishing coup de grâce, perfect. For any other intention, brain-deadly idiotic.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaicheg View Post
Weird. Then why in the world you are still married, too busy to go ahead and cut the knot or something? Too big of a knot to cut?
Not everyone wants sex out of a relationship. There are many other reasons to be married besides sex. If it were for sex alone, I wouldn't be married. I'd play the field
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships