Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 09:00 AM

111 posts, read 353,679 times

Advertisements

I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers to date older men. But...
I really am a strange person. I date older men mainly because I'm attracted to them. I never had a boyfriend in high school because anyone I would've wanted as my boyfriend wasn't my age, or anywhere near. My youngest, and first, boyfriend was 16.5 years older than me. Never had issues with the age difference. It didn't work out because he wanted to get married and have kids. Kids is a major deal breaker. I never want any. My current guy is 18 years older than me, and we get along quite well. In fact, he knows me as well as my family does, if not better. He treats me extremely well, and I wouldn't want to be with anyone else. Compatibility has a lot more to do with common interests than with superficial differences. I started a thread on this topic here once, and many of my posts there would also be applicable here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 09:04 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
i was just having this conversation with a friend the other day. my cousin Larry is 23 and has a 31 year old g/f. he seems happy but it just seem weird to me...maybe because it is a role reversal comapred to what we usually see.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:16 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
i was just having this conversation with a friend the other day. my cousin Larry is 23 and has a 31 year old g/f. he seems happy but it just seem weird to me...maybe because it is a role reversal comapred to what we usually see.
This was very close to my situation. I was 24, gf was 31. Married her when 25/32...2 kids...good marriage for almost 13 years until widowed. Met her, knew we were perfect for each other within 8 months or so of dating proposed at around a year or so and kept on chugging.

CAVEAT: A woman age 31 that wants to have kids should not be played with. None of this stalling for comfort stuff. My sister recently told me of a friend that wanted kids badly, had this LT boyfriend who kept stringing her along so she finally dumped him. Turns out later the jerk had a vasectomy YEARS before and was just going to stall for time on her bio clock rather than have an honest discussion that he wasn't having kids with her.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:22 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcake View Post
I'm a 24 year old woman and I always go for older guys. In my experience, they are better equipped for relationships.
Most people don't start becoming good S/O material until they are older than 25. But you're only 24 now, so of course dating some older like 30+ is better than dating guys your own age or younger. But if you are still single when you are in your 30's, then probably dating guys your own age will be more appealing you you. Finally, when you are 40+, men that in their 30's might still be your thing and they will be younger than you.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcake View Post
I'm a 24 year old woman and I always go for older guys. In my experience, they are better equipped for relationships.

Through the knowledge and experience they have accumulated from prior relationships, they frequently offer rational behaviour, a higher level of general awareness and intelligence and advanced bedroom practices.

I tend to view young people as raw material, with a distinct lack of wisdom which can only be built upon through life experiences. I may be 24, but I don't feel 24. My life so far has required of a lot of adult decision making and I run two large companies. As such, I cannot relate to the vast majority of young men my own age and feel it would be highly inappropriate to date any circa it.

Ultimately, we're all just people and we're all subject to expiration without a moments notice. We should be free to partner up with whom we please without the constraints of unfounded social disapproval.
Hmmmm....I've been having a couple gals (late 20's) flirting\making eyes with me at work (another department) since word has gotten out that I'm back to dating. I also had the 26ish counter girl at the place I go for massages really checking me out last night (doesn't hurt that I pulled up in my sports car lol).

My problem is that I look at girls like this and just don't see a LT compatability so I flirt but don't think to make a move but maybe I should, might be fun to just date and not be thinking LT so much. (Still not dating gals from work for obvious reasons)

Lol, I am soooooo rusty at dating\meeting women in public.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:29 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
so I flirt but don't think to make a move but maybe I should, might be fun to just date and not be thinking LT so much.
I think you should.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:29 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
I don't care what other people do when it comes to this. I will admit that I "don't get it." To me, dating, and friendships in general, about 5 years either side of your age is pretty much the norm.

Sidebar: when I first saw this thread, I thought of that movie with Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta-Jones where they were hanging off the side of a skyscraper in Singapore or some place...can't remember the name.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:36 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Sidebar: when I first saw this thread, I thought of that movie with Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta-Jones where they were hanging off the side of a skyscraper in Singapore or some place...can't remember the name.
"Entrapment". Sean Connery is sexy at any age!

And to keep this post on topic, I would feel most comfortable with someone closer to my age than not.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:16 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,415 times
Age shouldn't really matter. I think it really depends on the individuals, and if they get along and have common interests!
My husband is 15 years older than me, and I think we are a perfect match. We enjoy the doing the same things, same types of music....etc.
The age difference has never been an issue, family has always been accepting, along with friends and co-workers. Funny, he's the only guy I ever brought home that my Dad approved of! LOL!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 05:26 PM

303 posts, read 1,386,118 times
I have always dated older men. My current guy is 17 years older. Two relationships previously were 13 and 26 years older. Yes, I think 26 years is too much. But currently the 17 doesn't really show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships